PDA

View Full Version : What are some books on the USMC?

Mingle
11-04-08, 12:29 AM
I'm trying to train myself to read and I would like to aquire as much information on the USMC and other military warfare books as possible. I would like to become a Marine asap so i figure why not read some good books on the Marine Corps. I looked up some books but there are a lot out there and i'm trying to figure out the best ones to read and I would love some help.

BR34
11-04-08, 06:10 AM
Google "Commandants Reading List". It has plenty military type books on it.

I'm reading Fields of Fire by James Webb right now. It's pretty good.

thewookie
11-04-08, 08:49 AM
I'm trying to train myself to read and I would like to aquire as much information on the USMC and other military warfare books as possible. I would like to become a Marine asap so i figure why not read some good books on the Marine Corps. I looked up some books but there are a lot out there and i'm trying to figure out the best ones to read and I would love some help.

Pardon moi for asking such a stupid question, but don't your teachers train or teach you how to read?

How exactly do you train to read - is that just reading? Or do you do squats or something while you read? Thanks

fjmas1976
11-04-08, 09:36 AM
Your first exercise will be Marine Corps Book Curls. Marine Corps Book Curls are a four count exercise....I will count the cadence, you will count the repetitions. Ready.....begin!:usmc:

I'm reading the book pasted below. If you're interested in reading about the Marines who fought at Iwo Jima, The Frozen Chosin, and other battles where Marines fought and made history, this is a good read. It had first hand accounts from the Marines and what they remember of their time.

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/19490000/19496192.JPG (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/imageviewer.asp?ean=9780312372804)
http://www.amazon.com/Why-Marines-Fight-James-Brady/dp/0312372809

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-04-08, 10:31 AM
Search the poolee hall for this question. We went over it just a couple of weeks ago and some great books were mentioned.

thewookie
11-04-08, 10:33 AM

Try the Guidebook for Marines. Know that inside and out - before you go to bootcamp.

Mingle
11-04-08, 10:35 AM
Pardon moi for asking such a stupid question, but don't your teachers train or teach you how to read?

How exactly do you train to read - is that just reading? Or do you do squats or something while you read? Thanks

Well i know how to read i just don't do it and im trying to get in the habbit of doing it more often. It can never hurt to read more often.;)
And thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I will deffinitely google some of those books

Marine84
11-04-08, 11:57 AM
Well i know how to read i just don't do it and im trying to get in the habbit of doing it more often. It can never hurt to read more often.;)
And thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I will deffinitely google some of those books

Keep reading Grasshoppa - it should help with that spelling & grammar.

MOUNTAINWILLIAM
11-04-08, 08:10 PM
Reading about something will make you familiar, however there is no substitute for first hand experience and be VERY familiar with the titles SIR and MA'AM. It would be helpful if you are in fairly good physical condition too.

The following is fair readng too (and it wouldn't do you ill to research the origins of the essay either).

The message to Garcia

In all this Cuban business there is one man stands out on the horizon of my memory like Mars at perihelion. When war broke out between Spain and the United States, it was very necessary to communicate quickly with the leader of the Insurgents. Garcia was somewhere in the mountain fastnesses of Cuba - no one knew where. No mail or telegraph could reach him. The President must secure his co-operation, and quickly.

What to do!

Someone said to the President, "There's a fellow by the name of Rowan will find Garcia for you, if anybody can."

Rowan was sent for and given a letter to be delivered to Garcia. How "the fellow by name of Rowan" took the letter, sealed it up in an oil-skin pouch, strapped it over his heart, in four days landed by night off the coast of Cuba from an open boat, disappeared into the jungle, and in three weeks came out on the other side of the island, having traversed a hostile country on foot, and having delivered his letter to Garcia, are things I have no special desire now to tell in detail.

The point I wish to make is this: McKinley gave Rowan a letter to be delivered to Garcia; Rowan took the letter and did not ask, "Where is he at?" By the Eternal! There is a man whose form should be cast in deathless bronze and the statue placed in every college in the land. It is not book-learning young men need, nor instruction about this or that, but a stiffening of the vertebrae which will cause them to be loyal to a trust, to act promptly, concentrate their energies; do the thing - "carry a message to Garcia!"

Semper Fi

SGT7477
11-04-08, 08:56 PM
Read Marine Sniper it will show you what one Badass Marine can do.

Mingle
11-04-08, 11:16 PM
Will do.

SGT7477
11-05-08, 06:52 PM
Will do.

Let me know when you finish it and tell me what you think.:flag: