PDA

View Full Version : Exercise-Induced Asthma

Matt Brzycki
11-03-08, 04:46 PM
There was a recent posting about a study on exercise-induced asthma (EIA). I actually read the study a few weeks ago, in researching an article on the topic. The study looked at male and female US Navy and Marine personnel. The researchers found that EIA was associated with sweating less. They suggested that individuals who sweat less may have a "dry mouth." Having a dry mouth means having a dry airway which could contribute to EIA. An interesting theory and it certainly makes sense.

If anyone's interested, the article I wrote will be in the Dec 2008 issue of New Jersey Cops magazine, available on-line in a few weeks at www.njcops.com. (I have an article in the Nov 2008 issue on healthy eating tips for the holidays which is available right now.)

Matt Brzycki
Sergeant (1975-79)

TMM54
11-03-08, 09:04 PM
As a suggestion to eliminate possible causes of this dysfunction of the respiratory system, go to a chiropractor and tell the doctor your symptoms and get some advice, chiropractic adjustment. There is clinical evidence that chiropractic care reduces symptoms of asthma. An abstract of the clinical study:

An impairment rating analysis of asthmatic children under chiropractic care. Graham, RL and Pistolese RA. Journal of Vertebral Subluxation Research 1997: 1 (4): 1-8

Eighty one children under chiropractic care took part in this self-reported asthma related impairment study. The children were assessed before and two months after chiropractic care using an asthma impairment questionnaire. Significantly lower impairment rating scores (improvement) were reported for 90.1% of subjects 60 days after chiropractic care in comparison to their pre-chiropractic scores. In addition, 30.9% of the children voluntarily decreased their dosage of medication by an average of 66.5% while under chiropractic care. Twenty four of the patients who reported asthma attacks 30-days prior to the study had significantly decreased attacks by an average of 44.9%. Six different chiropractic techniques were used by the different chiropractors who participated in this study.

Try it, and you may find that your symptoms are gone. Best thoughts, Tom Murray

TJR1070
11-03-08, 10:43 PM
Great posts Sgt. Brzycki and SSgt. Murray hopefully it helps alot of young people overcome this potentially limiting disease. Abyss I would seriously look into these studies and links and maybe you will find some combination of things that will help. Good luck.