PDA

View Full Version : Some Say Force Not Needed in Lynch Rescue

thedrifter
05-29-03, 08:15 AM
May 29, 1:24 AM EDT

Some Say Force Not Needed in Lynch Rescue

By SCHEHEREZADE FARAMARZI
Associated Press Writer

NASIRIYAH, Iraq (AP) -- The U.S. commandos refused a key and instead broke down doors and went in with guns drawn. They carried away the prisoner in the dead of night with helicopter and armored vehicle backup - even though there was no Iraqi military presence and the hospital staff didn't resist.

In the tale of Pfc. Jessica Lynch's rescue, this is the Iraqi side.

New attention has been drawn to the April 1 rescue since a BBC report earlier this month created controversy by charging the Pentagon exaggerated the danger of the raid.

An Associated Press reporter spoke to more than 20 doctors, nurses and other workers at the hospital. In interview after interview, the assessment was the same: The dramatics that surrounded Lynch's rescue were unnecessary. Some also said the raid itself was unneeded because they were trying to turn Lynch over, although they conceded they made no attempt to notify U.S. troops of that effort.

U.S. military officers answer that the rescuers didn't know Iraqi troops had left Nasiriyah General Hospital and that the Americans had to storm in ready to deal with any circumstance. They add that U.S. troops outside the hospital were fired on and that fighting was still going on elsewhere in the southern city, which saw some of the fiercest combat of the war.

"If they had come to the door and asked for Jessica, we would have gladly handed her over to them. There was no need for all that drama," said Dr. Hazem Rikabi, an internist.

"Why the show? They just wanted to prove they were heroes," he said. "There was no battle."

American military doctrine calls for using overwhelming force in such situations. "We don't want it to be a fair fight," Marine Lt. Col. David Lapan, a Pentagon spokesman, told AP this week. "The fact that we didn't encounter heavy resistance in the hospital was a good thing."

Pentagon officials bristle at any suggestion that Lynch's rescue was staged or that any details were exaggerated. They have never claimed there was fighting inside the hospital, but stress that Nasiriyah was not a peaceful place.

"We didn't need to create any drama. It was there already," Lapan said.

Nasiriyah was a combat zone and American troops were being attacked by Iraqis dressed in civilian clothes elsewhere in the area, he said. U.S. troops supporting the raid - though not the rescue team itself - were fired on from other parts of the hospital compound, Lapan said.

"You don't have perfect knowledge when you go in of what resistance you will face, so you prepare for the worst," Lapan said.

Spokesmen for the Navy SEAL, Army Ranger and Marine commando units involved in the rescue declined requests to allow participants to be interviewed.

Lynch, an Army supply clerk, was captured March 23 after her convoy was ambushed in Nasiriyah three days after the war began.

Even among the quickly famous U.S. POWs, Lynch stood out - West Virginia girl, not even 20, held up within days as an American ideal. Her fate, and her family's vigil back in Palestine, W.Va., became fodder for the front pages.

In the hospital, staffers said, Lynch made friends from around the building with her kind ways and jokes, and employees went out of their way to keep her comfortable.

For a week, Dr. Wajdi al-Jabbar said, he and an ambulance driver rode the perilous streets to get her fruit juice. Suad Husseiniya, a nurse, said she grew so attached to Lynch that she repeatedly rubbed talcum powder into the soldier's sore back.

"She knew everyone by their first name," said the hospital's deputy director, Dr. Khodheir al-Hazbar.

Al-Jabbar said the staff never spoke to Lynch about the war. "We didn't want her to lose our trust."

U.S. officials have said Lynch, who is recovering in a Washington hospital, doesn't remember anything about her capture, and she has not yet commented publicly about her time in Iraq. Her family was traveling back to West Virginia on Wednesday planned to hold a news conference Thursday in Palestine to discuss her recovery from her injuries.

Randy Coleman, a family spokesman, said last week that the Lynches were unconcerned about claims the rescue may not have occurred as previously reported because "Jessi never asked to be made a hero."

Palestine resident Miriah Duckworth, 21, a high school softball teammate of Lynch's, also wasn't concerned about those claims Wednesday night. "I'm just glad they got her out," Duckworth said.

U.S. officers have said Lynch's rescue was launched after an Iraqi lawyer, Mohammed Odeh al-Rehaief, mapped out her location for U.S. Marines over several days.

Al-Rehaief and his family were moved to the United States for safety, and he has accepted a job with the Livingston Group, a lobbying firm in Washington. Jim Pruitt, an associate of the firm, said Wednesday that al-Rehaief had no comment about the rescue. "When the time comes, Mohammed will tell his story in great detail," Pruitt said.

The hospital's staff contends the Americans could have retrieved Lynch without the show of force.

A day before Iraqi troops left the hospital, doctors said, the staff received instructions from Nasiriyah's governor, Younis Ahmed al-Thareb, to transfer Lynch to the Maternity and Children's Hospital on the other side of the Euphrates River, where American forces were in control.

The governor told them it was for her own safety because he feared the Americans might attack the hospital because Iraqi soldiers were there, al-Jabbar and others said.

But they also said they didn't try to notify U.S. troops of their intention. They said an ambulance carrying Lynch set out at 11:45 p.m., but as it approached the al-Zaytoun Bridge in the darkness it was fired on by American troops and the driver sped back to the hospital.

"The next day, we decided to put her on a donkey cart so she would be in open view of the U.S. soldiers," said Dr. Miqdad al-Khazaei.

But before they could do that, Iraqi forces - including the regional commander of the Baath Party, Adel Abdallah al-Doori, and the governor - began pulling out of the hospital and the city, al-Khazaei said. "By noon, they were all gone," he said.

Hours later, the Americans arrived.

Al-Hazbar, the deputy director, had moved his wife and their two sons into the hospital to ride out the battle for Nasiriyah. He had just put his sons to bed when heavy explosions sounded at 11:45 p.m.

Less than 30 minutes later, he heard helicopters flying over the hospital. Tanks and armored personnel carriers parked outside. Then he heard loud voices: "Go! Go! Go!"

The commandos burst in.

Al-Jabbar said the soldiers declined an offer of the hospital's master key so they wouldn't have to break down the doors.

"They pointed the gun at us for two hours," he said. "Their manner was very rude. They even handcuffed the director of the hospital. ... Not a single shot was fired at them. They shot at doors - all doors. They broke them, kicked them open."

Al-Hazbar said he had expected a raid but was surprised by its intensity. Now that there was no Iraqi military around, why so much force? He said he and his family found themselves surrounded by about 20 American soldiers firing their guns.

"They were shooting indiscriminately, everywhere, at windows, between our legs, on the floor. We were terrified," al-Hazbar said.

He said it then occurred to him that no one was being hit by bullets. "They were shooting at me, but nothing happened to me," he said.

Al-Hazbar said he concluded the Americans were firing blanks. "They didn't shoot real bullets because they knew there was no military force in the hospital," he said.

Lapan said the idea that the rescue team would be carrying blanks in a combat zone was absurd.

"To ever send a force into a combat situation with blanks is just ludicrous," he said. "You don't use blanks in a war. You use blanks for training."

Weapons experts also have scoffed at the claim the rescuers fired blanks. They say the use of blanks in M-16 assault rifles and M-4 carbines requires a special attachment at the end of the barrels and no sign of those were seen in the video of the raid released by the Pentagon.

In addition, they say, it takes time to remove the attachment and change ammunition, which would leave a soldier dangerously exposed if fighting broke out.

For the hospital staff, Lynch is now a memory, there for a while, suddenly gone, a strange story in the midst of a strange war.

Despite the way she was taken, she is remembered fondly. "She always smiled when she saw me," said Zanouba Abdel-Zahra, a cleaner at the hospital.

---

Associated Press writers Matt Kelley in Washington and Allison Barker in Palestine, W.Va., contributed to this report.

Sempers,

Roger

thedrifter
05-29-03, 01:20 PM
Thursday, May 29, 2003 12:55PM EDT

Lynches turn aside questions about rescue

The Associated Press

PALESTINE, W.Va. -- American Army POW Pfc. Jessica Lynch's parents turned aside questions today about their daughter's rescue in Iraq, saying they were reluctant to talk about it.
Recent media reports have disputed U.S. military information surrounding Lynch's April 1 rescue from a hospital in Nasiriyah.
"We're really not supposed to talk about that subject," her father, Greg Lynch, said during a news conference at the family's rural West Virginia home. "It's still an ongoing investigation and we can't talk about nothing like that."

But at another point, he said: "Nobody has told us not to talk about it. Our main concern is to get Jessi in good health."

The 20-year-old Army supply clerk is being treated at a Washington hospital for injuries suffered when her 507th Maintenance Unit convoy was ambushed in Iraq in March. Eleven members of the convoy were killed. Five others were captured and later released.

Some Iraqi hospital staffers said this month that the U.S. commandos who came to get Lynch refused a key and instead broke down doors and went in with guns drawn. They said the commandos carried away the prisoner in the dead of night with helicopter and armored vehicle backup -- even though there was no Iraqi military presence and the hospital staff didn't resist.

But Lynch's mother, Deadra, said, "We're not focusing on the reports. We're just focusing on Jessi."

The purpose of the Lynches' news conference was to thank supporters and volunteers who are building an addition the couple's house to accommodate their daughter when she comes home from the hospital.

Lynch's health is improving daily, but that she "has a long road" to full recovery, Greg Lynch said.

Lynch's parents have been with her almost constantly since flying to Germany in early April to meet her. Lynch is being treated at Walter Reed Army Medical Center for various fractures and broken bones.

Greg Lynch said his daughter's memory is good, despite media reports that she suffered from amnesia.

"Her memory is as good as it was when she was home," he said. "She can still remember everything." But, the family has not pressed her for details.

New attention has been drawn to the April 1 rescue since a BBC report earlier this month created controversy by charging the Pentagon exaggerated the danger of the raid.

An Associated Press reporter spoke to more than 20 doctors, nurses and other workers at the hospital. In interview after interview, the assessment was the same: The dramatics that surrounded Lynch's rescue were unnecessary.

Pentagon officials bristle at any suggestion that Lynch's rescue was staged or that any details were exaggerated. They have never claimed there was fighting inside the hospital, but stress that Nasiriyah was not a peaceful place.

Spokesmen for the Navy SEAL, Army Ranger and Marine commando units involved in the rescue declined requests to allow participants to be interviewed.

http://www.newsobserver.com/front/story/2574655p-2389554c.html

Sempers,

Roger

firstsgtmike
05-29-03, 06:17 PM
The Associated Press
Thursday, May 29, 2003; 11:44 AM

PALESTINE, W.Va. - American POW Pfc. Jessica Lynch's parents said Thursday they are not permitted to discuss details of their daughter's capture and rescue in Iraq.
----------------------------------------

WHO DID NOT PERMIT THEM TO DISCUSS DETAILS?????

Was it part of a book/movie deal or was it the Government??????

mrbsox
05-29-03, 07:33 PM
?? FORCE NOT NEEDED ?? Lets be REALISTIC !!

Did they (the team) go into an 'unknown' situation? YES

Is the Military TRAINED to make a superior presence known? YES

Did they go in there and shoot everything that moved ? NO

Did they accomplish the mission without undue loss of life? YES

So what's the big Fn deal on how much force was used. We're gonna wind up rebuilding the damn hospital anyway, so whats one more door ??

Roberto T. Cast
05-29-03, 10:18 PM
I go along with the way the rescue was done, we should not take any chances with the enemy. That said, I have the following to say:

If the Iraqis are telling the truth, and the rescue was that easy, then the government is making up part of the story. Why, because at that time, el bushwacker needed something to make more Americans believe that it is a necessary war. The U.S. needed a hero to convince the American people about how bad and ugly war is.

The same thing happen in clintonion war with Bosnia. That stupid Army soldier cross the line be mistake and he was taken prisoner. For his stupid mistake, the U.S. award him a medal. Again, the U.S. needed a hero to justified the war. Clinton needed approval also from the American people just like el bushwacker..

Nowadays, in modern wars, the Presidents when confronted with war, tend to create heros at any cost so they can look good and get more approval from the American people.

Do not forget, this war was for oil also and el bushwacker is going to capitilize on it after he leave politics. Afterall, he is in the oil business.

wrbones
05-29-03, 10:27 PM
The war for oil theory has been abundantly refuted on this forum.

At this time, no information from the troops has refuted the original history of, or reasons for, the rescue of Pfc Lynch. The questions for me lie in the way the media has handled the story then and now. In the last few weeks there have been many serious questions raised about media bias, honesty and the authenticity of the stories they report in the news.

We must question the government at all times, but we must be at least sure that our own facts and thinking are straight when we accuse any individual of illegal or unseemly activity.

Roberto T. Cast
05-30-03, 12:28 AM
Remember, it was stated that Lynch suffered bullet wounds right after the rescue and when she was transfer to Germany, the doctors at the U.S. Hospital stated that there were no bullets wounds. The media did not start this fiasco. It was the U.S. government who told the doctors in Germany to shut up in so many words. It was questioned then and is being question now.

No information from the troops has refuted the original history because the troops have be told not to say anything, they have been censored. And that Lynch can not remember what happened to her and only can remember what came after. Sure the mind can play tricks on people, but in this case, she is faking it. Her parents and Pvt Lynch are not saying anything because of the money to be made from the offer made by movie industry.

The movie industry did not help any. The movie industry was looking for the first hero to come along and it happen to be Pvt Lynch, a blonde American teenager who happen to be at the right place at the right time. I still say, el bushwacker and some of the American people still need a hero so they can justify the war.

As to the war for oil has been refuted in this forum, I do not agree. El bushwacker is going to personally capitilize in it after he leaves politics.

What is the price for gas where you are at. Here in Laredo, it came down as low as $1.21.9 and now it is at $1.25.9 a gallon. It can down from $1.59.9 a gallon. A few gas stations had the price of gas at $1.19.9 a gallon for a little while. Now tell me it's not a war for oil. It went up to the present level because summer is around the corner. It was $1.59.9 a gallon before the war and during the war it starting sliding down to the present price.

This is not to say that Sadamn needed to stay in power. He had to be removed. The oil part of the war is the little picture behind the big overall picture. El bushwacker lied and keeps on lying to the American people. I for one do not believe him. When history is written, the truth will come out.

wrbones
05-30-03, 12:46 AM
I don't agree with ya, but it ain't worth the fight. No sense in us fightin' over **** we can't, as yet, change. Just as well have a beer, I reckon.

In the meantime, I don't know about you, but I ain't gonna call and get a reservation at a certain mailbox inna desert...but joining a militia group might be a thought if I ever do see a black helicopter! :D

Roberto T. Cast
05-30-03, 02:12 AM
"I will figh no more forever" was once said by a famous Native American Indian.

Yeah, let's have a beer, but make mine Coors Light in a bottle. I hate the friggin taste of can beer.

I ain't looking for a mailbox in the desert. I am not joining the militia. I ain't looking for no black helicopter.

I going to get on Dodge Conversion Van and head west until I catch up with the sunset.

Devildogg4ever
05-30-03, 04:17 AM
I am an American 100%! I will still die for my country today! But let us not forget why we are living in America and are not Brittish! (RED COATS) People need to keep an open mind anytime you deal with any government! You will see alot more as time comes.