PDA

View Full Version : GS Jobs

Artemis
11-03-08, 02:29 PM
Ok so here is the story I got offered two different GS jobs at two different levels but the issue comes in because one is temporary and the other permanent. The temporary on is GS-7 which is a nice chunk of change but it is only for a year to fill the slot of a deployed soldier. The other is a GS-5 that is permanent but a good bit less money.

Anyone have any insight or advice about this?

SGT VAS
11-03-08, 02:47 PM
I recently accepted an ICE position that starts at GS-9. I would take the hire ranking job for a year and then use that on your resume to get a permanent spot once your time is up. Just know that the hiring process for GS positions is a long wait. Three months average for your background check and then you have to wait for your medical screen, drug test, etc.

Artemis
11-03-08, 03:08 PM
Well these are National Guard affiliated jobs. I am in the National Guard so it is a little easier to get these jobs than it is on the other side of the GS table. I thought the same thing about taking the temp GS-7 because then it ups my level as far as applying to the permanent jobs later on down the road, but there is no telling what will be available once my one year is up.

Alpha1Devildog
11-03-08, 03:25 PM
Ok so here is the story I got offered two different GS jobs at two different levels but the issue comes in because one is temporary and the other permanent. The temporary on is GS-7 which is a nice chunk of change but it is only for a year to fill the slot of a deployed soldier. The other is a GS-5 that is permanent but a good bit less money.

Anyone have any insight or advice about this?

I started out as GS-2 clerk typist, and made it all the way to a GS 13. While it didn't pay as much starting out, it got my foot in the door, and I started applying for other positions until I managed to get into a training program that had great potential. . . Take the lesser, and shoot for the moon.

Phantom Blooper
11-03-08, 03:39 PM
Take the lesser, and shoot for the moon.

I agree...I started as a GS2 and made GS5 in a couple years. Once your foot is in the civil service door and you have a little bit of time you can be eligible for any possible jobs within your qualifications.

Perseverance,persistency and let it roll off your back like a duck.

Good luck! :evilgrin:<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Marine84
11-03-08, 07:35 PM
I would be the same way Nelly - there's no telling what may be open a year from now.

SlingerDun
11-03-08, 07:55 PM
I'm taking the higher paying job everytime unless:

1) The danger of getting seriously injured or crippled is well beyond my control

3) Surrounded by libs in a crowded office/my soul in jeopardy

2) The gig could land me in prison