PDA

View Full Version : Advice for creating bulletin board

RVHall
11-03-08, 10:09 AM
I'm working towards creating a VERY SMALL bulletin board just for 1st ANGLICO Marines. Lots of the older guys just won't get onto the larger sites because they have difficulty navigating. I'm working towards a site with perhaps half a dozen 1st ANGLICO related forums max, and just have links to sites like leatherneck if the Anglicans want to access all the many features offered here.

I've downloaded & uploaded phpBB, and I can see that's not going to be easy for me to modify so as to look "Marine." I'm considering the purchase of vBulletin. I was fairly good with FORTRAN IV some 35 years ago, but I'm no good with html or other modern web coding.

I can learn, but it's limited to nights and weekends after honeydo's.

What say you? phpBB or vBulletin? Learn to code it myself or pay for assistance?

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-03-08, 01:14 PM
For the size of forum you're looking at phpBB is probably your best bet. You can learn what you need to learn as you go. There are probably a couple of people in your intended group that have the needed skills and would be happy to lend a hand. vBulletin is probably more user friendly, but it may not be worth the purchase price when you'll looking at a small group.

RVHall
11-03-08, 01:45 PM
There are probably a couple of people in your intended group that have the needed skills and would be happy to lend a hand. vBulletin is probably more user friendly, but it may not be worth the purchase price when you'll looking at a small group.

If I can get this done for under $500, I'll be happy to pay for "user friendly." I'm sure most of the burden will be on me initially. I still work and so do the few younger ones who are in the loop right now, although since the current 1st ANGLICO CO will be in the loop as soon as it is running smoothly, probably the young crowd will grow.

If there were no appreciable difference, I'd stick with the phpBB code that's up ready to begin editing now. But if I can save some headaches and gray hairs, then I'll gladly pay. I think I can get a permanent license for vBulletin for $180 and then some more to get rid of their logo and some tools. If it really would make my life easier, then it would be worth it.

I really appreciate your comments.

Semper Fi

Vance

RVHall
07-08-09, 07:29 PM
by 10 NOV 2008, the launch date, under vBulletin

not too many changes since the launch - kept it pretty simple

now ANGLICO Marines from the very beggining (Korea) all the way up to the outgoing 1st ANGLICO CO, LtCol Michael Gann are on board.

Official historical files growing nicely, stored as .pdf's on the server and downloadable. Still need the Command Chronologies or equivalent for 1st ANGLICO and 1st Signal Btn (a part of it) in Korea. The oldest Anglican on board is a retired physician in Nevada who was one of the early Korean War ANGLICO Marines, doing small-team low-altitude jumps into North Korea on what we now might call "special ops."

All is well, but need a succession plan - some younger ANGLICO Marines to take over when I kick the bucket!

thewookie
07-08-09, 08:07 PM
I'd like to find a guy named Larry Bowers. He was with ANGLICO at one point, (prior to 94) but he was an Admin guy, but he still got to jump, sheet, the guy had his gold wings. He pinned my wings when I came back from Jump School. I called him Admin Larry Bowers, he was a great guy. He and I were Corporals together in Greece, I worked as a COG and SOG for the guard platoon and he worked for Admin. We had an apartment out in-town on the 3rd floor, with marble floors, and wrap around decks overlooking a nude beach on the Med.....

Sorry, I was having a flashback.:):cry:

Any way, I was a five jump chump, but on my Fit Reps -- after DI School, ANGLICO was number two as my places to go.

Semper Fi Marine

Good luck

RVHall
07-09-09, 09:01 AM
I'd like to find a guy named Larry Bowers. He was with ANGLICO at one point, (prior to 94) but he was an Admin guy, but he still got to jump, sheet, the guy had his gold wings. He pinned my wings when I came back from Jump School. I called him Admin Larry Bowers, he was a great guy. He and I were Corporals together in Greece, I worked as a COG and SOG for the guard platoon and he worked for Admin. We had an apartment out in-town on the 3rd floor, with marble floors, and wrap around decks overlooking a nude beach on the Med.....

Sorry, I was having a flashback.:):cry:

Any way, I was a five jump chump, but on my Fit Reps -- after DI School, ANGLICO was number two as my places to go.

Semper Fi Marine

Good luck

No Larry Bowers signed onto the ANGLICO website as yet, Wookie. Some flashbacks not so bad! :D