PDA

View Full Version : Meeting with a recruiter on Tuesday...Need Advice

FullMetalFuture
11-02-08, 10:51 AM
My name is Anthony Bagwell and my dream is to become a Marine. That means I will do what it takes to do so. With that being said I have some huge hurdles to climb to get there, but none of them are impossible. I have a few questions that some of you poolees may be able to answer, but questions that Marines can answer. They are as follows...

1. Obviously I am a fat body. While I am a motivated individual I could still stand to be pushed and consulted a bit more. My question is this. When I go sit down with my recruiter should I show him what I am doing physically on a daily basis and what my diet consists of? The reason I ask is if I am not doing something right, he might be able to tweak it to speed up the results.

2. I wouldn't exactly call it nervousness, but I am unsure of how the recruiter will look at me since I am not a "high qualified recruit". Is this all in my head or should I expect it? Will they consider me a waste of their time?

These are loaded questions and I apologize if I am coming across as an pushy or misinformed. Thanks in advance.

:scared:

SGT7477
11-02-08, 11:01 AM
Times have changed but I think you have to be at the correct weight before you go.

FullMetalFuture
11-02-08, 11:03 AM
Times have changed but I think you have to be at the correct weight before you go.

Sir, are you suggesting I postpone meeting with him?:sick:

ryanficken
11-02-08, 11:11 AM
The only thing that the recruiters need to know about you is that you want to be a Marine. Not to sound cynical, but once you sign, their goal is completed. After that, they will work with you anywhere from once a month to several times a week (normally averaging off at once a week) to get you prepared for boot camp.

Boot camp is where you're going to face your true challenge. The turning point for all poolees is not when we're in DEP, but in boot camp. Returning to recruiters, they will not look down at you; it's not as if they're graded on the quality of recruit they get. I guarantee there's been many recruits fatter and unhealthier than yourself, and even those who have put themselves through hell to become a Marine.

Tell the recruiter what you are doing with your Physical Training, even if you are doing none! If you lie, they'll find out, first of all, and lying is simply pointless. Secondly, if you lie, they may believe you and pick a sooner ship date; they'll assume your IST (Initial Strength Test) is all up to standards.

Pour your heart and soul into becoming a Marine if it is what you truly want to do. Stick it in a blender, grind it, stir it, and hand it to the Corps. That'll be your greatest chance at succeeding, I promise. Do not quit.

FullMetalFuture
11-02-08, 11:13 AM
The only thing that the recruiters need to know about you is that you want to be a Marine. Not to sound cynical, but once you sign, their goal is completed. After that, they will work with you anywhere from once a month to several times a week (normally averaging off at once a week) to get you prepared for boot camp.

Boot camp is where you're going to face your true challenge. The turning point for all poolees is not when we're in DEP, but in boot camp. Returning to recruiters, they will not look down at you; it's not as if they're graded on the quality of recruit they get. I guarantee there's been many recruits fatter and unhealthier than yourself, and even those who have put themselves through hell to become a Marine.

Tell the recruiter what you are doing with your Physical Training, even if you are doing none! If you lie, they'll find out, first of all, and lying is simply pointless. Secondly, if you lie, they may believe you and pick a sooner ship date; they'll assume your IST (Initial Strength Test) is all up to standards.

Pour your heart and soul into becoming a Marine if it is what you truly want to do. Stick it in a blender, grind it, stir it, and hand it to the Corps. That'll be your greatest chance at succeeding, I promise. Do not quit.

For 17, you are far beyond your years. Thank you, Poolee Ficken.

ryanficken
11-02-08, 11:17 AM
Anytime, man. If you ever have questions or concerns, let me know and I will answer them the best I can, as well as everyone else here at the forum. I'm just a poolee, but it still inspires me whenever someone wants to join or does join.

Garrett90
11-02-08, 12:02 PM
Don't walk in there thinking its going to be like a job interview. Your recruiter will joke with you, and shoot the ****, to make you feel almost like a buddy of his. That is kind of his job. Its ALMOST as if he will become your friend, but the reality of it is he will just be getting close to you to make sure that you don't f*ck up once you are DEP'd in. Im saying this because you seem nervous as to how to act when you are in there. Just be respectful, but don't be like a robot where you are afraid to say something. The office is actually a really friendly environment. As far as weight, as long as you go to your functions, and you put in the effort to PT at home by yourself, you should be just fine. My recruiter said that lately they have been letting people a little overweight ship, because you are guaranteed to meet the required weight restrictions when you are at boot camp, meaning the D.I's will work you to it. So just relax, and go do what you got to do. You'll be fine.

FullMetalFuture
11-02-08, 12:07 PM
Don't walk in there thinking its going to be like a job interview. Your recruiter will joke with you, and shoot the ****, to make you feel almost like a buddy of his. That is kind of his job. Its ALMOST as if he will become your friend, but the reality of it is he will just be getting close to you to make sure that you don't f*ck up once you are DEP'd in. Im saying this because you seem nervous as to how to act when you are in there. Just be respectful, but don't be like a robot where you are afraid to say something. The office is actually a really friendly environment. As far as weight, as long as you go to your functions, and you put in the effort to PT at home by yourself, you should be just fine. My recruiter said that lately they have been letting people a little overweight ship, because you are guaranteed to meet the required weight restrictions when you are at boot camp, meaning the D.I's will work you to it. So just relax, and go do what you got to do. You'll be fine.

Thanks for the advice. I am a little concerned about how to act, but more so I am just unsure about how I will be received. That is it. I have the utmost respect for Marines and I am hoping that they look at me in the same light.

dizark
11-02-08, 12:58 PM
My recruiting station is comprised of 4 Sgts, 1 SSgt, and 1 Gunnery Sgt. The SSgt is my recruiter, but all of the recruiters in there, including the Gunnery Sgt who runs the station are really cool and yes, you do joke with them but be respectful as they are Marines. I never call my recruiter by his first name in person or on the phone. I address him as SSgt and so on because they have earned those ranks.

When I finally got swore in, after hurdles from BUMED, the pride they all seemed to show was a great feeling. Unfortunately, my recruiter is heading back to the fleet come December which means I won't be able to come back and see him as a new Marine, however the Gunnery Sgt should still be there.

ecom
11-02-08, 02:43 PM
Good advice above. The minimum you need is to pass the initial strength test which IIRC is 2 pull ups, 40 something crunches in 1 minute, and a 1.5 mile run in I don't know how much time, probably under 15 minutes. The physical fitness test is what you'll eventually need to pass and that is 55 crunches in 2 minutes, 3 pull ups, and 3 mile run in under 28 minutes.

For the PFT, crunches are 1 point, pull ups are 5, and subtract 1 point from 100 for each 10 seconds after 18:00. Ideally, you want to get at least 225 points otherwise you'll be worked extra hard in boot camp to get your score up.

Additionally even if you LOOK fat, you will have to go through some program in boot camp to change that. You may have to do extra PT, you may end up at the end of the line when it's time to eat, etc, etc. Basically they don't want you to have a gut that will hang out over your trousers. Now that doesn't mean you have to get cut and have a six-pack. I know I was close to having one when I went to boot camp and somehow I came out with a pad of fat where my six-pack once was...I got fat in boot camp, I dunno how that worked.

FullMetalFuture
11-02-08, 03:16 PM
These posts are getting a bit ahead of where I am...I appreciate the advice I can use in the future though. Thanks Marines.

SGT7477
11-02-08, 03:22 PM
Sir, are you suggesting I postpone meeting with him?:sick:

No, go talk to him he will give you all the scoop, Good Luck.:flag:

SGT7477
11-02-08, 03:24 PM
Good advice above. The minimum you need is to pass the initial strength test which IIRC is 2 pull ups, 40 something crunches in 1 minute, and a 1.5 mile run in I don't know how much time, probably under 15 minutes. The physical fitness test is what you'll eventually need to pass and that is 55 crunches in 2 minutes, 3 pull ups, and 3 mile run in under 28 minutes.

For the PFT, crunches are 1 point, pull ups are 5, and subtract 1 point from 100 for each 10 seconds after 18:00. Ideally, you want to get at least 225 points otherwise you'll be worked extra hard in boot camp to get your score up.

Additionally even if you LOOK fat, you will have to go through some program in boot camp to change that. You may have to do extra PT, you may end up at the end of the line when it's time to eat, etc, etc. Basically they don't want you to have a gut that will hang out over your trousers. Now that doesn't mean you have to get cut and have a six-pack. I know I was close to having one when I went to boot camp and somehow I came out with a pad of fat where my six-pack once was...I got fat in boot camp, I dunno how that worked.

Your profile needs work Marine.:flag:

EngelDesTodes
11-02-08, 03:54 PM
This is the chart below just incase you are interested:

MALE
AGE 17-26: 18%
AGE 27-39: 19%
AGE 40-45: 20%
AGE 46+ :21%
FEMALE
AGE 17-26: 26%
AGE 27-39: 27%
AGE 40-45: 28%
AGE 46+: 29%

<table border="1"><tbody><tr><td>Height</td> <td>Maximum Weight</td> <td>Minimum Weight</td> </tr> <tr> <td>58</td> <td>132</td> <td>91</td> </tr> <tr> <td>59</td> <td>136</td> <td>94</td> </tr> <tr> <td>60</td> <td>141</td> <td>97</td> </tr> <tr> <td>61</td> <td>146</td> <td>100</td> </tr> <tr> <td>62</td> <td>150</td> <td>104</td> </tr> <tr> <td>63</td> <td>155</td> <td>107</td> </tr> <tr> <td>64</td> <td>160</td> <td>110</td> </tr> <tr> <td>65</td> <td>165</td> <td>114</td> </tr> <tr> <td>66</td> <td>170</td> <td>117</td> </tr> <tr> <td>67</td> <td>176</td> <td>121</td> </tr> <tr> <td>68</td> <td>181</td> <td>125</td> </tr> <tr> <td>69</td> <td>186</td> <td>128</td> </tr> <tr> <td>70</td> <td>192</td> <td>132</td> </tr> <tr> <td>71</td> <td>197</td> <td>136</td> </tr> <tr> <td>72</td> <td>203</td> <td>140</td> </tr> <tr> <td>73</td> <td>208</td> <td>144</td> </tr> <tr> <td>74</td> <td>214</td> <td>148</td> </tr> <tr> <td>75</td> <td>220</td> <td>152</td> </tr> <tr> <td>76</td> <td>226</td> <td>156</td> </tr> <tr> <td>77</td> <td>232</td> <td>160</td> </tr> <tr> <td>78</td> <td>238</td> <td>164</td> </tr> <tr> <td>79</td> <td>244</td> <td>168</td> </tr> <tr> <td>80</td> <td>250</td> <td>173</td></tr></tbody></table>

EngelDesTodes
11-02-08, 04:05 PM
Depending on how fast you want to lose weight, I would consider my weight lost pretty healthy, I ate 5 meals a day, worked out 2 times a day lost about 25 lbs went from 215 - 190 in like month to month and a half. I start off by just drinking a protein shake for breakfast, around 8 a.m, then around 11 a.m i eat an apple (good for antioxidants), around 2 p.m i would eat like a ham sandwich nothing else, with water, and around 5-6p.m i would eat either a steak, or just chicken breasts, artificially flavored non fatening. and to close it off around 7-8 pm before i go to bed I would drink my creatine, then eat another fruit. Worked out real well for me, but you would have to be really dedicated doing it everyday, and literally not missing 1 day or 1 session of workout. Also I drink much water as possible when i get hungry, it does fill you up, and yet your not putting any fat in you.
I am still 4 lbs overweight according to my chart, but I have alot of muscle on me, but to be honest I'm aiming to get put on trey diet, I think it will be really hard, but I want to get down to about 170lbs by the time i graduate bootcamp(you can call me psycho if you want to lol).
The chart is above by the way.

also found this website you can calculate your pft.

TJKUSMC
11-02-08, 07:16 PM
EngelDesTodes. Some advice to you. For one. Creatine is horrible for you. It's main purpose is to make you look big, but you will have no endurance when it comes to running or swimming if your on it. Trust me...I tested it myself. You shouldn't drink water in place of food and say that it's better then eating "fat". Eating a salad isn't eating "fat" nor is eating a well balanced meal of meat, veggies, fruit, and bread. The key to losing wieght is eating well balanced and healthy meals. Eating 1 apple and a flimsy ham sandwhich will make you lose weight because your not eating any food. Remember your body needs 2,000 cals a day.....Your getting around 900 to 1,000. I also noticed you don't eat veggies. Oh and you shouldn't be working out twice a day...that's too much for your body....it will make you weaker then stronger. Just some tips. :]

EngelDesTodes
11-02-08, 08:16 PM
EngelDesTodes. Some advice to you. For one. Creatine is horrible for you. It's main purpose is to make you look big, but you will have no endurance when it comes to running or swimming if your on it. Trust me...I tested it myself. You shouldn't drink water in place of food and say that it's better then eating "fat". Eating a salad isn't eating "fat" nor is eating a well balanced meal of meat, veggies, fruit, and bread. The key to losing wieght is eating well balanced and healthy meals. Eating 1 apple and a flimsy ham sandwhich will make you lose weight because your not eating any food. Remember your body needs 2,000 cals a day.....Your getting around 900 to 1,000. I also noticed you don't eat veggies. Oh and you shouldn't be working out twice a day...that's too much for your body....it will make you weaker then stronger. Just some tips. :]

:( not trying to argue, but my endurance is fine, enough for me to run a mile and a half under 10 mins...

TJKUSMC
11-02-08, 09:05 PM
Really? Well good for you then...Creatine won't do anything for you to get ready for marine corps basic. Creatine is to build muscle...it doesn't help you run.

SGT7477
11-02-08, 09:07 PM
Really? Well good for you then...Creatine won't do anything for you to get ready for marine corps basic. Creatine is to build muscle...it doesn't help you run.

Marine, Marine is to be capitalized at all times.:evilgrin:

Brando
11-02-08, 09:46 PM
I have to agree with the Marine here, You don't seem to be working out/eating right at all. You say you take Creatine before you go to sleep? Please tell me, Why on earth would you do something like that?

TJKUSMC
11-02-08, 09:53 PM
Rgr that Sergeant. My mistake.

EngelDesTodes
11-02-08, 10:26 PM
I have to agree with the Marine here, You don't seem to be working out/eating right at all. You say you take Creatine before you go to sleep? Please tell me, Why on earth would you do something like that?

I work out 2-3 times a day, one including at night. usually i take it with weigh protein, but im out of those right now.

Garrett90
11-02-08, 11:07 PM
Creatine just adds water into your system. The bulk you get is mostly made of water once you start to see improvements. Sure you get bigger and increase strength quickly, but once you lay off the creatine or lay off the weight lifting, you lose that water weight just as fast, or faster than you gained it. I was using it for a while to bulk up, but after getting pnemonia I had to lay off the weights for several weeks, and lost close to everything that I gained during that span. Since then, I have been relying on just strengthning my core with the pull ups, crunches, push ups, and running, whether it be laps around the track, or sets of stairs at the stadium nearby. These gains will not only last longer if you lay off the PT, but it will help you SO much more in Recruit Training. Body Building can only help you so much when you are looking to get into a specific kind of body shape that all of us Poolees are trying to achieve.

TJKUSMC
11-03-08, 12:22 AM
You poolees realize you will be nothing but bones after Marine boot camp right? I was pretty muscular going in and lost most of it....due to my body burning muscle when i had no other fat to burn. Don't worry about bulking up before basic...you will be a twig when it's all said and done. Oh and remember..you shouldn't be working out more then once a day. If you workout 2-3 times a day your over working your body and you could be doing more harm then good. Make sure your running more then lifting. It's all about run time, crunches, and pullups. Not how much you can bench.

Garrett90
11-03-08, 01:10 AM
Not always the case, my father said he came back 20 lbs heavier. He was stocky, and turned it into muscle mass. Muscle weighs more than body fat.

ecom
11-03-08, 01:13 AM
Somehow I managed to gain 10 lbs in boot camp and I'm pretty sure it wasn't all muscle. I had a six-pack when I shipped but it was gone by the time I graduated.

LeDave
11-03-08, 02:29 AM

I was very underweight when I went to MEPS, 5'8 and only 104 lbs, I had a weight waiver so I was ok. But after that, the recruiters at the recruiting office always make fun of me saying they'll give me triple rations at boot camp, and they tell me that I better be eating a box of pizza a day alone. I've been eating a lot and I gained 10 lbs in a month now at 114 lbs. I'm leaving to MCRD San Diego in one more month so I'm going to continue eating a lot so I can gain another 10 lbs so I can be 124.

chadhertz
11-03-08, 08:54 PM
My recruiter helped a poolee lose 80 pounds so he could leave. He should be able to square you away if your motivated.

FullMetalFuture
11-04-08, 08:48 PM
Well...I went down to RSS Knoxville and man did I come away motivated. My recruiter Sgt. Lamden is INCREDIBLE. There had been a previous history between us, but all was forgotten and we are working toward the future. I actually measured in taller than I expected which was big for me. I have been invited to come work out there anytime I'd like and I am going to take him up on it. Ill be there 4 to 5 days a week. I am so excited.

Nicd
11-06-08, 12:26 PM
Awesome man. Stay moto and work your butt off.