PDA

View Full Version : Marine sees improvement in Iraq on 2nd tour

thedrifter
11-02-08, 07:24 AM
Marine sees improvement in Iraq on 2nd tour

November 2, 2008

BY JIM HOOK Staff Writer

The night before Tim Gena enlisted in the Marine Corps, he sat his family down for dinner at the kitchen table of their Palos Hills home.

"I wasn't sure how they'd react to the news," said Gena, 26. "So I bought dinner and told them what I had wanted to do since I was young."

Shock and dismay probably were the overwhelming emotions expressed that night, even by a father who had served in the Marines during the Vietnam War.

"I realized they were concerned about my safety," Gena said. "But being a Marine and serving my country was something I just had to do.

"Part of that decision was family pride, the other was pride in my country," he said. "I wanted to be a Marine and proudly serve my country."

So after the initial shock wore off, Gena's family -- parents Robert and Debbie and six siblings -- threw their support behind Tim.

"My dad's concerns stemmed from him knowing firsthand what I was getting myself into," he said. "And as proud of me as he was, he's my dad and was trying to protect me."

Gena went for Marine boot camp and then infantry school before serving his first seven-month tour of Iraq in 2004.

He served as a squad leader and gunner.

"We did great over there," Gena said of their mission. "We trained the Iraqi police and encouraged them to take on a bigger role."

He recently returned from a second tour and said there was a "marked difference" from his initial tour nearly three years ago.

"The Iraqi people and the Iraqi Army seem to believe in what we're trying to help them (rebuild the country) more than they did years ago," Gena said. "The (Iraqi) Army isn't as fearful for their lives like they once were, and they are accompanying us on raids.

"They are helping us more and in turn, helping themselves by ridding the area of insurgents," he said. "Iraqi people are moving about the villages more, and merchants are back in business, which is helping move the economy forward."

Now out of the military, Gena said he is mulling over his options, which include going to college.

For now, though, he wants to refamiliarize himself with family and friends.

"I had a real purpose in life the last eight years. I want to continue to have purpose in my life. I'm just not sure yet what that is," Gena said. "I'll figure it out."

Jim Hook can be reached at jhook@southtownstar.com or (708) 633-5961.

Ellie