PDA

View Full Version : Half blind and want in

Reguba
11-01-08, 06:51 PM
I had a question I was hoping someone could help me with. I've always wanted to go into the military since I was little but the dream was somewhat stifled when I was twelve and buddy of mine was screwing around and hit me in the head with a rock. The rock damaged my optic nerve and left me with 20/800 vision in my left eye and 20/20 in the right. I had five surgeries to try and correct this, none of which were successful. I'm twenty years old now and almost everyone in my family has been in some branch of the military. I'm currently one month away from graduating the police academy in Joplin, MO. I have been told ever since the accident there was no way I could ever get into the military with one eye so naturally the second best thing was being a cop. While in the academy a couple of the recruits happened to be Marines and told me I could go talk to a recruiter and put through a waiver to try and get me in. I am not familiar with the process so I went to spoke to the local Marine recruiter. Basically he gave me a 50/50 chance and told me to get him copies of a physical, and copies of the eye surgeries and he would see what he could do. I'm still waiting on the doctor to send me the info on the surgeries so I can go talk to the recruiter again but can anyone out there fill me in a little better on my chances of getting in...? And if I do get in am I going to be stuck with a desk job...? I'm in excellent physical shape and my marksmanship with any rifle or handgun is nothing less then superb and I've worked hard to get it there. I would love nothing more then to serve my country as a Marine. I appreciate all the help :)

Zulu 36
11-01-08, 07:04 PM
I had a question I was hoping someone could help me with. I've always wanted to go into the military since I was little but the dream was somewhat stifled when I was twelve and buddy of mine was screwing around and hit me in the head with a rock. The rock damaged my optic nerve and left me with 20/800 vision in my left eye and 20/20 in the right. I had five surgeries to try and correct this, none of which were successful. I'm twenty years old now and almost everyone in my family has been in some branch of the military. I'm currently one month away from graduating the police academy in Joplin, MO. I have been told ever since the accident there was no way I could ever get into the military with one eye so naturally the second best thing was being a cop. While in the academy a couple of the recruits happened to be Marines and told me I could go talk to a recruiter and put through a waiver to try and get me in. I am not familiar with the process so I went to spoke to the local Marine recruiter. Basically he gave me a 50/50 chance and told me to get him copies of a physical, and copies of the eye surgeries and he would see what he could do. I'm still waiting on the doctor to send me the info on the surgeries so I can go talk to the recruiter again but can anyone out there fill me in a little better on my chances of getting in...? And if I do get in am I going to be stuck with a desk job...? I'm in excellent physical shape and my marksmanship with any rifle or handgun is nothing less then superb and I've worked hard to get it there. I would love nothing more then to serve my country as a Marine. I appreciate all the help :)

IF you get a waiver, you get the MOS you get.

All I can suggest is to be patient and see (no pun intended) what the recruiter turns up. None of us can speed that process.

Besides, there are many worse things in life than not being in the military, yet still serving your community as a cop. Be glad that you can still get into police work with that one bad eye. In my day, you would have been shut out of the military, police work, and firefighting.

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-01-08, 07:40 PM
There are some jobs that require a certain visual acuity, but far from all of them. If you really want to be a Marine, all you can do is try.

I don't know what the limits on vision are, but if that requires a waiver you'll have to get that, as well as waivers for the surgeries. I would be shocked if this didn't end up at NUMED (Navy Bureau of Medicine) before it was decided. Stay committed and keep pushing, then hope and pray for the result you want.

If you don't make it, there is nothing wrong with being a police officer. My mom retired as a police officer and I'll assure you that her service was at least on par with mine... in reality I believe she surpassed what I did long ago.

Phantom Blooper
11-01-08, 07:53 PM
Good luck on getting a waiver for your eyes...I agree with the Sgt. and Cpl.

TRY!

If you get the waiver approved you will need another waiver for the tattoo you have on your shoulder in your profile picture and anymore that you may have...again Good luck!:evilgrin:

SGT7477
11-01-08, 11:19 PM
My personal opinion is I really think you don't have a chance but never hurts to try.

egbutler1
11-02-08, 01:00 AM
I also agree with my fellow Marines. I really think you would not stand much of a chance. But you should try who knows. I would be amazed if they took you and with your vision being that poor in one eye you will most likely not be getting anything in the Infantry you'd probably be riding a desk. But give it a shot man for sure. If it fails you have picked a very honorable profession.