PDA

View Full Version : MOS 3432, Finance Technician. I want to still get deployed!! Chances? diff MOS??

Hitachi123
11-01-08, 01:46 PM
I want to join the Corps after I am done with college.
I have 1 semester remaining, and I have majored in Accounting. I feel as if MOS 3432, Finance Technician would be a great fit for me with my degree.

My question is will I still get deployed?
I want to go to Iraq/Afghan and get into some s&%$ over there.

Lastly, If i do get deployed would that allow me to be on front lines and kicking in doors and all that fun stuff or would I be stuck on base counting beans?

Should I maybe consider going in as an MP?
If i choose MP is that one MOS
and corrections is another MOS
or its just luck of the draw?

Also I would have the same questions about MP and corrections.

Lastly(sorry its taking so long),

are either of these jobs offered as a reserve?
I live in baltimore,md

Thanks for your time,

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-01-08, 02:49 PM
Marines deploy. But if you're a finance guy you're going to be doing that- not kicking in doors and taking the fight to the enemy. You're going to be sitting behind a desk and doing what you do.

Being an MP would be a little different, but it isn't the infantry if that is what you're looking for.

This is a list of the reserve units in your state. (http://www.marforres.usmc.mil/Units/MD.asp) I'd guess that there would be a need for a finance person at some place close to you. There aren't any MP type units, so that isn't going to work. Here are the units in VA (http://www.marforres.usmc.mil/Units/VA.asp), no MPs there either though.

TJKUSMC
11-01-08, 07:12 PM
Get past boot camp first..then see if your so gungho about being away from home for 7 months.

Achped
11-02-08, 01:16 AM
Oorah Private, that's how every new Marine feels when they see these moto poolees.

Poolee, if you are a finance technician, you will be giving out cash when Marines come into disbursing (there ain't no ATMs over here)

Get into some ****? You know AK47 rounds are no joke right?

BR34
11-02-08, 07:30 AM
I want to join the Corps after I am done with college.
I have 1 semester remaining, and I have majored in Accounting. I feel as if MOS 3432, Finance Technician would be a great fit for me with my degree.

My question is will I still get deployed?
I want to go to Iraq/Afghan and get into some s&%$ over there.

Lastly, If i do get deployed would that allow me to be on front lines and kicking in doors and all that fun stuff or would I be stuck on base counting beans?

Thanks for your time,

I work in finance and there are many Marines that have been to Iraq and a few that have been to Afghanistan (first wave).

It's not all "sitting at a desk" as some seem to think. You will leave the wire, and you'll do so with a couple hundred grand strapped to your back. You will keep your weapon in condition one 24/7 just in case you have to shoot someone trying to rob you (Marine/Iraqi/Civilian).

Now, you will sit in an office and pay Marines. But when grunts go kicking in doors, and the Air Force blows apart a neighborhood, you got to hop in a vehicle and head out to pay the Iraqis for that door or for the house that was destroyed. If there was a big operation going on, and lot's of the Iraqi's **** was destroyed you'll leave the wire in a convoy and bring a safe with you to pay out "rebuilding money" to them.

This is all from what some of my NCOs have told me about their deployments to Iraq. The one Marine 3432 I know that went to Afghanistan did so in 2001 and he said he never left the base.

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-02-08, 11:31 AM
Good point BR34, those things to have to be paid for. But I don't think that is exactly what this young hardcharger was getting at. <br />
<br />
Achped, I think too many of the wannabes think AK rounds work...

BR34
11-02-08, 01:51 PM
You're right, Cpl, Disbursing ain't Rambo's MOS. But to the OP, you will go on MEUs, and hit up some combat zones in finance. Don't expect to be setting up booby traps in jungles of Asia though.

ecom
11-02-08, 02:48 PM
I also depends on your duty station after you finish MOS school. Some units are non-deployable and if you go there, you will not deploy at all. This isn't going to be your choice as it depends on the needs of the Marine Corps. You may get a "dream sheet" where you pick your duty station preferences but that doesn't mean you'll get them.

Achped
11-02-08, 06:57 PM
Yeah E4B, Marinetimes listed "To civilians, every Marine is recon" as one of the 232 reasons to love your Corps. I guess its true if they think finance guys kick in doors haha.

And screw getting a CAR. I have ladies I want to see again. If it wants me, Im ready and willing, but I dont want it.

Hitachi123
11-03-08, 12:44 PM
I also depends on your duty station after you finish MOS school. Some units are non-deployable and if you go there, you will not deploy at all. This isn't going to be your choice as it depends on the needs of the Marine Corps. You may get a "dream sheet" where you pick your duty station preferences but that doesn't mean you'll get them.

what would make the MOS non-deployable?

Is there a lot of MOS that are non-deployable?

Would this be the same in the reserves?

Looking at it from the outside looking in. I would assume that if the Corps needed more infantry or what not for Iraq a 3432 would be a prime canditate?...Unless I'm completley in dreamland

ecom
11-03-08, 03:50 PM
I don't know if there are any MOS that are non-deployable. I said that some units are non-deployable because of that unit's mission. For example you end up at a school then it's unlikely you will be deployed.

BR34
11-03-08, 04:57 PM
what would make the MOS non-deployable?

Is there a lot of MOS that are non-deployable?

Would this be the same in the reserves?

Looking at it from the outside looking in. I would assume that if the Corps needed more infantry or what not for Iraq a 3432 would be a prime canditate?...Unless I'm completley in dreamland

There are a few non-deployable units for finance, one is Quantico, one is where I am right not (MOBCOM). MOBCOM's finance will soon be shutting down though. Then there's the two recruit depots. You won't have a very high chance of getting sent to a non-deployable unit because there are finance Marines that have been to Iraq/Afghanistan 3, 4, and 5 times, and they are the ones going to the non-deployable units so they and their families can have a break. There's about a 95% chance you will either go to Lejune, Pendleton, or Okinawa.

Hitachi123
11-05-08, 01:45 AM
There are a few non-deployable units for finance, one is Quantico, one is where I am right not (MOBCOM). MOBCOM's finance will soon be shutting down though. Then there's the two recruit depots. You won't have a very high chance of getting sent to a non-deployable unit because there are finance Marines that have been to Iraq/Afghanistan 3, 4, and 5 times, and they are the ones going to the non-deployable units so they and their families can have a break. There's about a 95% chance you will either go to Lejune, Pendleton, or Okinawa.

I just hope I dont fall into that 5%

Chumley
11-05-08, 08:45 AM

Or Hawaii! I did my entire time in KBay as a 3451. A good friend of mine is still in and has deployed twice to Iraq as a Fiscal Officer (CWO). As far as deployable, non-deployable units - if your number is called, you go. If it isn't, you don't. The longer you stay in, the greater your odds of deployment. Good luck!

SupChf
11-05-08, 12:03 PM
Or Hawaii! I did my entire time in KBay as a 3451. A good friend of mine is still in and has deployed twice to Iraq as a Fiscal Officer (CWO). As far as deployable, non-deployable units - if your number is called, you go. If it isn't, you don't. The longer you stay in, the greater your odds of deployment. Good luck!

Chumley hit this one on the mark. My last unit was "non-deployable". That unit just returned from their 3rd trip to Iraq and is now on the chopping block for Afghanistan. A "non-deployable" unit doesn't exist anymore. Everyone is deployable, if not as a unit then an IA (individual augment)

BR34
11-05-08, 12:10 PM

I think the Hawaii FO has shut down, along with Cherry Point and 29 Palms.

Achped
11-05-08, 09:33 PM

Where would a 3451 be on Kbay? Over by the Generals building?

Chumley
11-06-08, 08:38 AM
Where would a 3451 be on Kbay? Over by the Generals building?

Achped,

As of August '07, the building that was my office (fka Consolidated Finance and Accounting Office CFAO ) is now the GRAINGER warehouse building.

Hey BR34 - have you met GySgt Ramstorf or CWO Glass, CWO Rhett or CWO Sweeney?

SFi
C

Chumley
11-06-08, 08:55 AM
I just hope I dont fall into that 5%

Hitachi123 - careful what you wish for. Whether reserves or active, currently your odds are good for deployment. Luck and timing will decide your unit's orders no matter what your MOS or unit, so I suggest that you look at an MOS that you will be most likely to enjoy, as with any civilian job, and then see where the cards fall. Every role is important to the overall success of the USMC, whether front lines or in the rear with the gear. In '90-'91 our unit was on standby - that's the closest I came to deployment to the Gulf. The majority of our Marines at the time did deploy. My responsibility, therefore, was to keep the beer cold until everyone got back. We nearly got a PUC for our fine efforts. :beer:

BR34
11-06-08, 10:56 AM
Achped,

As of August '07, the building that was my office (fka Consolidated Finance and Accounting Office CFAO ) is now the GRAINGER warehouse building.

Hey BR34 - have you met GySgt Ramstorf or CWO Glass, CWO Rhett or CWO Sweeney?

SFi
C

Gunny Ramstorf works here. He works in IC. Never met the others'.

Chumley
11-06-08, 11:03 AM
BR34 - you can tell him Chumley says Hi! I also lost his email. He can reach me at smithchadp at hotmail dot com or blood-stripe at hotmail dot com.

Storf picked up meritorious Cpl before me - beat me out. I won the Board about a year later. Hi brother is also Gysgt Ramstorf ( unless he's been promoted ).

Small world.

Thanks BR!!
SFi
C

BR34
11-06-08, 04:32 PM
BR34 - you can tell him Chumley says Hi! I also lost his email. He can reach me at smithchadp at hotmail dot com or blood-stripe at hotmail dot com.

Storf picked up meritorious Cpl before me - beat me out. I won the Board about a year later. Hi brother is also Gysgt Ramstorf ( unless he's been promoted ).

Small world.

Thanks BR!!
SFi
C

I just talked to him. He was walking trough right when I was writing down your email addresses to give him. I told him about the board and he started laughing. He said you got out in 93, had a little flashback, and then he walked off. He has the email addresses too, btw.

Chumley
11-07-08, 07:41 AM
Yep - Flashbacks!!!
Thanks BR!!
SFi
C

Raskin
12-23-08, 02:20 AM
All the minor finance offices have been consolidated to Camp Pendleton and Camp Lejuene.

SimonSays762
01-05-11, 06:51 PM
Are 3451 and 3432 Basically the same thing im lat moving from the 03 field, kind of looking for more of a 9 to 5 steady married life did i make a bad choice?