PDA

View Full Version : Marines Carve Pumpkins With Barcroft Students

thedrifter
11-01-08, 07:44 AM
MARINES CARVE PUMPKINS WITH BARCROFT STUDENTS
Submitted by MCCS

Marine tutors and buddies from Headquarters Battalion took a day off from their typical tutoring sessions to help Barcroft Elementary School students carve Halloween pumpkins. ‘‘This is just one of the many ways we support the Partners In Education program with Barcroft students,” said Mike Flaherty, MCCS Henderson Hall School Liaison. ‘‘I am not sure, exactly, how long we have been participating in the pumpkin carving tradition, but the partnership between Henderson Hall and the South Arlington school has been in existence since the early 1990s.”

Marines helped three third grade classes carve about fifty-five pumpkins during their regular tutor and buddy time, held Tuesdays during lunch. Students design their own pumpkins; some came with elaborate drawings and some just improvised on the spot. The students drew faces on the pumpkins with markers, and the Marines did all the intricate carving.

‘‘The pumpkins might have had scary faces on them, but the students had smiles on all of their faces,” said Ms. Dora Sue Black, Barcroft’s Partners In Education coordinator. One teacher who passed by and noticed the great time that the students were having said, ‘‘These kids are going to remember this for the rest of their lives.”

‘‘Although it is very rewarding to help the kids with their school work, I think doing fun things like pumpkin carving really helps us to connect with the kids,” said Sgt. Christopher Herbert from the company office. ‘‘I get to find out a lot more about the kids when we are not so focused on academics. I found out what the kids are going to be wearing for Halloween, what their favorite costume is, what their friends are going to be wearing for Halloween, what their favorite candy is, what scares them, how much candy they plan on getting. It was just a fun time for me working with the kids, and I know they all had a great time too.”

Just prior to the pumpkin carving Barcroft students were entertained by McGruff the Crime Dog, also in support of the Partners In Education program. Flaherty said, ‘‘We combined the Red Ribbon Drug Prevention assembly with a Halloween safety briefing.”

Lieutenant Roberson, Fort Myer military police, gave an informative presentation about the dangers of drugs and gangs and some tips on safe trick-or-treating. McGruff, aka Officer Thompson, helped engage the students with his antics and showmanship.

If you are interested in volunteering at Barcroft Elementary School, please contact Michael Flaherty, School Liaison, at 703-693-8378.

Ellie