PDA

View Full Version : Marines have their eye on presidential election

thedrifter
11-01-08, 07:42 AM
Marines have their eye on presidential election
Comments 1 | Recommend 2
October 31, 2008 - 7:09PM
JENNIFER HLAD

The day after Scott Patterson returned from Iraq this week, he flipped on the television to catch up on the election news.

Patterson, a Marine infantryman, said he plans to vote for Republican candidate John McCain for president. But while Patterson said he feels it is important to cast his ballot and educate himself on the issues, not all Marines feel the same way.

Despite efforts to educate deployed service members about absentee voting, Patterson said he knew many in the field who had never heard of it. And other service members - including three young Marines who declined to give their names to The Daily News - simply don't see the point of voting.

While the U.S. military has traditionally tended to vote Republican, analysts say Barack Obama's appeal to young voters, blacks and Hispanics could mean more military support for the Democratic ticket this year than in other years, according to the Associated Press.

Patterson said he based his decision to vote for McCain on the fact that Patterson is a Republican and respects McCain's military service, as well as the time he spent as a prisoner of war.

"With me being in the military, I want somebody who understands the military," Patterson said.

Patterson has deployed to Afghanistan as well as Iraq and said it is time to start moving more troops out of Iraq and into Afghanistan. But, he said, "I think that's one thing that both candidates support."

Kent Thorton also returned from Iraq in October. He said this week he likely will vote for Obama.

Thorton said he is unhappy with the way Obama has been portrayed in the media and what he calls "dirty politics" from the McCain camp.

"They trash (Obama) all the time in the news, they change his words," Thorton said. "And Joe the Plumber is worthless. It is a shame how (the McCain campaign) is putting him on a pedestal."

Still, Thorton wishes he had heard more from either candidate about military pay or benefits.

"I think McCain's a good candidate, but I am leaning towards Obama," he said.

Rene Aguilar also said he plans to vote for Obama.

"I think he will come up with a better solution for the economy," Aguilar said. "Also, being a minority, it is always good to go with the Democrat."

Thorton and Aguilar's friend, Richard Darfy, was leaning the other way.

The biggest issue for Darfy is the situation in Iraq and Afghanistan, he said, partly because any decision about the wars will have a major impact on the economy. And Darfy, like Thorton, is unhappy that civilian contractors get paid so much more than service members overseas - though he hasn't heard either candidate address that issue.

Marine Mike Dawson was still waiting on his absentee ballot Tuesday, but said he was likely to vote for McCain. He said the issue he is most concerned with is foreign policy; he doesn't want the U.S. to suddenly "back away and pretend like we're isolationists again."

Though the economy is a concern, Dawson said he believes it will fix itself. And, he said, taking a dig at Obama, "I'm really happy with capitalism. I don't want to be a communist."

Patrick Bentley isn't sure he will vote, but if he does, will cast his ballot for McCain.

"I think Obama's promising too much," he said. "I don't think he can do all of it."

Nathan Jeandall also hasn't decided if he will vote. Jeandall, a Marine originally from the Northeast, is concerned with getting the economy fixed. He said many people up north cannot even afford to heat their homes because of the high cost of gas.

"So, whoever can fix that," he said.

Michael Beech said he plans to vote for McCain, listing a number of reasons he does not support Obama: Beech has concerns about Obama's wife, Michelle, as well as Obama's connections with William Ayers, a former member of the Weather Underground, an extremist group. He also said he is not comfortable with Obama's Muslim background.

"I am not anti-Muslim," Beech said. "But I am a United States Marine."

Contact interactive content editor and military reporter Jennifer Hlad at jhlad@freedomenc.com or 910-219-8467

Ellie