PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma Soldier saves Marines, receives Soldier’s Medal

thedrifter
10-31-08, 11:55 AM
Oklahoma Soldier saves Marines, receives Soldier’s Medal

By Army Staff Sgt. Claudia K. Bullard
Oklahoma National Guard

Ardmore, Okla., (10/31/2008) - Oklahoma Army National Guard Spc. Beau Jordan received the Soldier’s Medal in July for rescuing two Marines from a swiftly moving river in Afghanistan in 2007.

The Soldier’s Medal is awarded for actions of heroism involving personal danger or risk but not involving actual conflict with an enemy.

Members of the U.S. military or friendly foreign nationals serving in any capacity with the U.S. Army may receive the medal.

Jordan said he “reacted instinctively” when Cpl. Joshua Kilzer and Cpl. Robert Stoeker, both of the 3rd Marine Division entered the Alishang River, swollen from an earlier rainfall, while returning from a mission with the Afghan Army.

Jordan, a SAW gunner with the 1-180th Infantry Battalion, was waiting -- along with Hospital Corpsman 3rd Class Jeremy Hoyer -- for the Marines to return.

Night had fallen and Jordan could see the Marines begin the crossing by their red headlamps. “I thought they were going to be fine,” said 22 year-old Jordan, who spent his summers as a lifeguard and is a certified scuba diver.

When he realized his buddies were caught in the current, Jordan jumped in after them pulling Kilzer to shore and then going back for Stoaker. Both Marines were in full combat gear.

Jordan and the two Marines had been serving together for several months and had, according to Jordan, become very close. “When I saw the first headlamp go under the water, I just jumped in,” said Jordan. “I didn’t have time to think about it. I didn’t ever think I would rescue someone.”

Maj. Gen. Harry M Wyatt III, the adjutant general for the Oklahoma National Guard, presented the medal to Jordan saying this is a “significant event in the life of a Soldier.”

“Your family members, unit members and members of the Oklahoma National Guard are extremely proud of you,” said Wyatt. “There just isn’t enough recognition we can give for saving lives.”

Ellie