PDA

View Full Version : Marines & Motorcycles

Tradesmart
10-31-08, 10:15 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/30/marine.motorcycles/index.html

I've been riding since 1966 and the only accident(s) was when I dropped my FXSTI (Harley) when I was drunk. I dropped it a few times.

Just because we are Marines and most of us are thrill seekers, it does not mean we know how to ride a bike.

It is a fact that there are more Marines on bikes (per capita) then any other branch of Military.

It isn't being a (wimp) to go to school and learn something new about riding. Riders as old as I am still go to school every couple years. We always re-learn what we have forgotten and sometimes learn something new and meet up with a "girly scootier".

Plus our insurance is sometimes lower when we go to school.

I talk seriously about school because if you look at the accidents most of them can be avoided. Most accidents on bikes are "totally stupid".

I live here in the mountains of Colorado where riding is a total blast! The roads are open and the deer roam freely. We don't have the traffic of cities but we have the curves and rumble in the canyons from the straight pipes. It's so cool.

I don't believe that "slow down and live" means too much in a cage but on a bike, YES it does. But it isn't just the speed that kills bikers. It is simply knowing how to ride and ride safely.

We have all seen those idiots that don't lean into a curve and try to "drive" the scoot like it's a cage.

Go to school and have some fun! Stay Alive Please! You owe it to your country to help shape the future.

Kp42
10-31-08, 11:47 AM
Good thread Sgt. I totally agree. Actually during boot our Company 1st Sgt stopped all training one day to address this problem. We got a class on safety and all that. Hope Marines make good decisions while on bikes. They went through so much to throw everything away for a little too much speed.

1stRad2671
10-31-08, 02:19 PM
I race motorcycles. One of my fellow who is also a Marine veteran has been in contact with the Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps about trying do some track instruction for Marines with Marine veteran racers as the instructors. There are a whole lots of us Marines that race in the Washington DC area. He made the analogy to the SgtMaj that instructing sport bike riders in a big lot like they are doing now is like shooting an M4 at the pistol range. Sure you can do it but it's pretty pointless because that's not what it was made for.

I hope we can make this happen

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Eoutoftheblue/temp/TC3.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Eoutoftheblue/temp/1.jpg

yellowwing
10-31-08, 02:42 PM
A week long motorcycle safety course was mandatory if you wanted a base sticker on your bike. Class in the morning, riding course in the afternoons.

What I learned there saved my ass a few times, especially a few years later riding through Atlanta. An eighteen wheeler decided he wanted my space and started easing over. I didn't panic and took controlled evasive action.

Command was really great allowing us a week away from our day jobs. :thumbup:

Quinbo
10-31-08, 06:15 PM
A friend of mine from when he was a youngster. http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jeremydaniels

crate78
10-31-08, 11:03 PM
When I was at Atsugi, a couple of Marines riding double on a motorcycle on the base tangled with a dump truck and spent a month or so in the hospital. The MAG-11 CO immediately issued an order against riding TWO on a motorcycle.

So naturally one night we had to try to get through the gate with three of us on a motorcycle. The Officer of the Day had ABSOLUTELY no sense of humor, although he let us off with one riding and two walking and kept an eagle eye out to make sure we stayed that way.

As much fun as I've had on motorcycles over the years, about twenty years ago I decided it just might be time to quit while I was ahead.

crate

ErikHeiker
11-04-08, 03:29 PM
I've also been riding since 1966. The closest I ever came to dropping a road bike was when I was stationed at El Toro. I had a few drinks and went out. I wasn't paying attention and traffic ahead of me stopped for a red light. When I saw I couldn't stop in time I took evasive action and barely cleared the car in front of me. Had I leaned over any further, I would have been on my side. That pretty much cured me of drinking and driving a motorcycle.

bucksgted
11-04-08, 07:12 PM
Had my first "ride" in 1946. My Dad's friend would take me to his barber shop each week. He rode an Indian. I got "hooked" on bikes and have been riding since. In my opinion, there are two kinds of riders - - those who have dumped their bike - - and - - those who will dump their bike. My current ride is an '03 Harley Ultra - - and, yes it too has been down. Gravel has no friends. Fortunately, I have never been hurt toooo badly. When I was riding MX, I'd break my bike most weeks, but never broke my body.

I agree with Safety Riding Courses!! Even Old Dogs like me can learn new tricks.