PDA

View Full Version : Marines Return Home Safely from Iraq

thedrifter
10-31-08, 08:31 AM
Marines Return Home Safely from Iraq
posted 10:38 pm Thu October 30, 2008 - North Charleston, SC
reporter: Natalie Caula posted by: Natalie Caula
from ABC News 4 -

There's no place like home for a group of marines reunited with family and friends. The Charlie Company's 27 marines arrived in North Charleston.

They've been gone since January, spending the past seven months in Iraq. That's where they had been performing security missions at Camp Al Taqaddum.

They arrived from North Carolina tonight to anxious families waiting for them at the reserve training center.

They are Marine Reservists who’ve put their lives here at home on hold for their jobs overseas.

Jon McCrann is 19-years-old and graduated boot camp before leaving high school. Life moved fast. He was off to Iraq. Now, he's home in Hanahan with a new wife.

Shandi and JonMichael McCrann are newly weds but JonMichael spent their honeymoon in Iraq.

“It was a last minute thing. We were going to wait till after my deployment and then we decided to get married before my deployment at the last minute,” said JonMichael McCrann.

After 10 months of security missions in Iraq, McCrann has a new mission ahead.

“We haven’t really been together since we’ve been married, so I don’t know what it’s supposed to be like,” said Shandi McCrann.

The two are just happy to be together now and share JonMichael's homecoming with the rest of the family.

His niece, cousin, sister and parents, along with his wife can't seem to get enough hugs. But while JonMichael is reuniting with one family, he's leaving another behind.

“I learned a lot of lessons and got really close to the people your with, because that’s all you have and I definitely miss them now that im not going to be with them quite a while,” said JonMichael McCrann.

Next for the McCrann's is a mountain vacation before JonMichael begins active duty, likely heading back.

“I do know he will have to go probably again but I know what to expect and how to deal with it,” said Shandi

For better or worse these newly weds now have time to be husband and wife.

Active duty for the McCrann’s means after vacation they'll have to move away from Charleston to start their married life.

All of the marines with the fourth Landing Support Battalion are back home tonight.

Ellie