PDA

View Full Version : First Poolee Function

dizark
10-30-08, 09:56 AM
I'll be attending my first poolee function on Nov 6th at 1800hrs. I'm excited to go and hope to get a lot out of it. I should also be attending the Nov 13th one as well, but after that need to look at getting my work schedule readjusted so I may benefit from all the meetings.

How did your first poolee function go when you first DEP'd in?

PooleeHunt
10-30-08, 10:27 AM
Mine went pretty well. All the Poolees were new, so we learned how to do things like pushups, pullups, crunches etc... correctly, and we went for a 3 mile run. Nothing too traumatizing.

Nicd
10-30-08, 01:10 PM
They're pretty cool. Usually consist of PT/Knowledge. You'll like it.

jfweeden
10-30-08, 01:49 PM
Mine was pretty good. We ran an IST and played some football. Now we do drill and run IST's. Its not too bad. Just pay attention and you'll learn a lot. You'll like it.

Do-Or-Die
10-30-08, 02:17 PM
I did an IST and played football and had a barbeque, it was alot of fun.
It's really cool being around people who have the same desire to be a Marine as you.

AaronJM1984
10-30-08, 05:33 PM
We learned how to get in formation. Ran in formation, sang cadence. Push ups, and pull ups. Signed updated paperwork. Got introduced to each other. All that good stuff! It was enjoyable and educational. Super small taste of Boot Camp I guess.

CplGiraffe
10-30-08, 08:18 PM
We have functions every week... and when I went the first time it was the week after IST's which is PAIN week. So it was crunches and pullups.. that usual stuff... then we did some drill work which wasn't bad. Then we went for a run. I think we ran about 3 miles before stopping to do sprints. Then we turned around and went back and did pushups. And we also did the supp. exercises after drill. However, it was a good feeling once I was done.

PooleeDuckworth
10-30-08, 10:24 PM
We do monthly poolee functions, one time we went to a high school skill center which had high ropes, obstacles, and a huge rock climbing wall. Last months we went to paintball field and had about 6-7 hours worth of paintball tournaments which was bad ass. And once a year Michigan has a weekend long Mini-Boot camp at Camp Grayling in which all the Northern RSS's competed against one another. We competed in drill, PFT scores, and a bunch of other events. I absoloutly loved it, the yelling, the MRE's, the waking up at 0400, to having all of the Army Reservist's look on in awe of how good we looked running past them in formation as they were cleaning their M198's. Jealousy was apparent ;). And to top it all off, my RSS won the whole thing. :banana:

LandsNGrooves
10-31-08, 12:14 AM
My office meets every Tuesday. We do IST's, play soccer,football, just plain run, all good stuff. This week,we had a quiz over rank insignia and general orders. Every question wrong was 10 Marine pushups.Only two aced the test and one was me. Then we ran around the new office. Goodtimes.

BigGunz90
10-31-08, 07:59 AM
We meet every Thursday and we do things like knowledge, running, pullups, crunches, and situps. Sometimes we do things like basketball, football or airsoft.

BlacknBlue
11-04-08, 01:14 PM
At RSS Olathe in KS we meet twice a week for optional PT sessions where we do running in formation, drill, pushups, crunches the whole nine yards. Most of the time that is led by a reservist Corporal who gives a good experience, other times it is led by a Marine that just got back from boot camp, and if there is no one there to lead it then the Recruiters leave it up to the Guide, at the current time that is me, to run the PT's. We all have a blast out there during the PT's. Also once a month we do Mandatory Pool Functions and this month we did a Mach Marine Corps Ball. Last month we did an IST, played softball and football and had a BBQ. They are definitely a blast to attend!!

dizark
11-06-08, 08:10 PM
Ok, first poolee function was great. We all went to Old Country Buffet and had a mock Marine Corps Ball. There was cake, we stood at attention while one of the Sgts read the birthday message, he setup a POW/KIA table and explained it to us, explained how the cake ceremony went and did it. It was a great experience.

Now, next week, supposedly we are running a PFT. This will be my first PFT and hope I do well on it. Will post results when I have them.

MLMonk
11-07-08, 07:32 PM
I met Sergeant Major Kent in one of my Poolee functions, think it was January.

All of mine consisted of PT/Knowledge and some sports.

PS. Don't miss any.

Cjcruzi3
11-07-08, 09:34 PM
Hey im on my LAST Poolee Function. 9 days. Parris Island Here I Come

FullMetalFuture
11-08-08, 07:49 AM
Man I cant wait to be in the DEP

dizark
11-20-08, 06:47 PM
Went to my second function today... my first one where we did PT. We watched a video that was on the History Channel, called Human Weapon. It was a football player and a MMA fighter, went to Quantico for MCMAP training and such. Great video indeed!

Then SSgt setup stations from dips, lunges, pushups, electric chair, etc and we did those each for 2 minutes a piece then switched. Then he brought out the bags (I forget what they call them, sorry.) and we threw punches for 2 minutes with a firm stance, then did some knee kicks.

I was so motivated by this event, that when I came home after dropping another poolee off at home, I had to go for a run.

Quick question for the Marines here:

Did you go to MCRD completely ready for the physical training or did you get to MCRD and find it a bit more physically challenging than you thought in certain areas, but gave your all to complete the task at hand?

Tommyray
11-23-08, 02:54 AM
Just got back from my first function today. We did an IST, some drill practice, cadence, marched a little bit and got to meet eachother. It was really a nice experience...

but I didn't get any sleep last night. One of my best friends shot himself on Tuesday so I was at his funeral Friday and left the town the funeral was in at 3am to be at my function by 8. I still did fairly well on the IST.. nothing great, but not too bad for the conditions.

1.5 mile run - 10:24
Pull ups - 14
Crunches -54 (this is where I really need to concentrate on)

dizark
11-23-08, 09:25 AM
Tommy,

I did 55 crunches (had to push hard) at MEPS in October. I took the advice from the Cpl at my RSS. He said to do 100 crunches each night. Don't time yourself, but do 100. After taking his advice (I haven't done them every night but when I do, I do 100), I'm finally timed myself again and got 71 in 2 minutes. The improvement is there, so take the advice.

Best of luck to you, and sorry to hear about your friend.

Scottie0417
11-23-08, 11:05 AM
Honestly dizark, PT in boot camp isn't hard at all as long as you're in decent shape. I was worried about the PT when I went but I've always been an athlete and been in somewhat decent shape and I never had a problem with it there. Of course I got a lot stronger and I got a lot more endurance but the PT there definitely isn't an azz kicker. Getting slayed on the other hand is a different story...

dizark
11-23-08, 11:25 AM
Advice taken PFC. Thank you for the insight!

Scottie0417
11-23-08, 11:28 AM
You'll definitely notice a change between your IST and your PFT though for sure. I went in doing like 8 pullups and 65 crunches on my IST...after the first month of PT there I knew I was in better shape but I didn't realize how much I improved. My first PFT I did 17 pullups and 100 crunches...the PT isn't tough but it definitely does make you stronger and gets you in shape without you really realizing a big change

dizark
11-23-08, 11:59 AM
That's fantastic. I'm currently at 5-6 pullups, but have a little over a month before I ship to PI, so I have time to improve a bit. Im looking back a little over a month and knew that I couldnt do any pullups, so the improvement is there, and I'm positive that I will see more of an improvement during boot camp.

englishm2265
11-24-08, 06:50 PM
Mine was pretty fun. There were three other recruiting stations there. And we were interviewed and asked questions. Then we took the IST, and had a mini-tournament of football afterwards. It was pretty fun, and I'm really looking forward to the PT meeting next Thursday, which will also be my first PT meeting.