PDA

View Full Version : A tale of 10,000 golf balls leads to Iraq

thedrifter
10-30-08, 08:48 AM
A tale of 10,000 golf balls leads to Iraq

GOLF GAZETTE/Jay Dempsey

I've got a question for you today. All set? Can you tell me how much 10,000 golf balls weigh? Is it: a) 1,000 pounds, b) 1,525 pounds, c) 2,000 pounds, or d) 750 pounds? I'll give you the answer at the end of this story.

For the past few years, Tommy Grimm of Riverhead has become a collector. And what does Tommy collect? Six years ago, while living next to a golf course, Tommy would take walks around the course. On his treks he would find stray golf balls and bring the little, round orphans home with him. He began his hobby by putting the golf balls into egg cartons, and then giving them to his friends. After exhausting that method of distribution, he went to using sturdy plastic milk crates, the kind you see outside convenience stores, as holding cells for his stash. Fine-tuning his operation, Tommy began separating the balls by brand and condition. He was having "a ball," so to speak. However, his garage was looking smaller and smaller as the golf balls began taking over.

A few weeks ago, while working at his job in the pro shop at Cherry Creek Golf Links, Tommy noticed a customer with a United States Marine Corps vest. Concerned about his increasing inventory of golf balls, Tommy had a plan. "I asked the gentleman if he thought the Marines in Iraq would be interested in my golf balls," to which the gentleman responded without hesitation, "Yes."

The plan for the re-deployment of Tommy's stock was in motion.

Within a few days Tommy received a phone call from a Marine officer wanting to know if he would be willing to take the golf balls to San Diego. Tommy asked if there might be a drop-off point closer to New York. "Can you get them to Quantico [Virginia]?" the officer asked.

Done deal. Tommy and a few friends went to work and built a large, wooden box to house Tommy's 10,000 golf balls. With his wife, Karen, the Grimms took the golf ball-filled container to the base at Quantico where they were greeted warmly by a curious group of soldiers. "The soldiers were very interested to see what 10,000 golf balls actually looked like," said Tommy.

Tommy had some personal motivation behind his good deed. "My son, John, was a captain in the Marines and served two tours of duty in Iraq," he said. "I just wanted to express some type of gratitude to the soldiers over there." In case you're wondering, the golf balls will never see a fairway, but will be hit out into the desert. As the Marine officer told Tommy, "It's good exercise and relaxation for the soldiers."

Now, the answer to our question. If you answered 1,000 pounds, you're a winner -- like Tommy Grimm.

TEE TIMES I must tell you, your "golf guy" is a tad miffed. I became privy to a great golf story within minutes after it took place, only to be scooped by the star of the event. And who scooped me? I'll tell you who. None other than the husband of the former Joan Giger Walker, "The Big Guy," Troy Gustavson, that's who.

Henry Stasiukiewicz of Cedars Golf Club phoned me minutes after he learned about Troy's now-famous hole-in-one. The facts were confirmed the next day by WLNG's Gary Sapiane, who happened to be on the course when the event took place. A hole-in-one on a hole you're not playing! "This is going to be a great story," I thought. Then, what do I see the following week in the paper? A story and accounting, by Troy, of the amazing ace. Just like that, I'm toast. Hey, I'm the "golf guy." So yeah, I'm a little bent out of shape.

Hey Troy, that was an absolutely incredible shot you made, and quite an accomplishment. And you want to give up the game? Never. There are more shots like that one just waiting for you around the next dogleg.

jdempse2@optonline.net

Ellie