PDA

View Full Version : Marine’s mom struggles to reach Japan after accident

thedrifter
10-30-08, 08:28 AM
Marine’s mom struggles to reach Japan after accident
By Travis J. Tritten, Stars and Stripes
Pacific edition, Friday, October 31, 2008

Debbie Moore wants to be by her son’s side because the 20-year-old Marine was injured on duty, landing him in a hospital far from home.

But Iwakuni, Japan, is a long — and expensive — trip from Illinois, and her struggles with heart disease could make it dangerous.

Pfc. Ryan Burlison, who is stationed at Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, was scheduled for surgery Thursday after a truck tire exploded in his face last week, causing serious injuries.

Burlison was in stable condition Wednesday at Iwakuni National Hospital with several skull fractures and damage to his lips and mouth, according to the air station and Burlison’s family.

"He is going to need about a year of recovery time," Moore said Wednesday from her home in Galatia, Ill.

Burlison was working with another Marine on a fire truck at the air field, and the two were trying to load a tire, Moore said.

"They couldn’t load it by themselves, and the other Marine went for help," she said.

Then the tire fell and exploded. The rim hit Burlison, knocking him back, Moore said.

Base officials confirmed the details.

The accident is under investigation, and Burlison’s unit, Marine Wing Support Squadron 171, has been in regular contact with the family, said base spokesman Maj. Guillermo Canedo.

The Marine’s brother is planning to fly to Iwakuni this week to support him through the surgery, Moore said.

Moore said her health is poor, and she recently had open-heart surgery.

Despite heart problems, she said, her cardiologist cleared her for travel to Japan, and she is trying to raise the money she needs.

"I want to be there, but my other children are afraid I will go over there and get sick," Moore said. "As a mother, I want to be there."

The Marine Corps typically funds travel for next of kin only when a servicemember is facing imminent death.

Ellie