PDA

View Full Version : Marine honoured with George Cross

thedrifter
10-30-08, 07:36 AM
Marine honoured with George Cross

A Royal Marine reservist who shielded his comrades from a grenade blast in Afghanistan is to be invested with the George Cross later.

Lance Corporal Matthew Croucher, 24, of Solihull, West Midlands, lay in front of the grenade after walking into a trip wire in Helmand Province.

His rucksack took the brunt of the blast and he suffered severe bruising.

He is among eight Royal Marines based at 40 Commando in Taunton, Somerset, to be honoured.

They will collect their medals at a ceremony at Buckingham Palace later.

'Huge honour'

The George Cross is awarded only rarely for "acts of the most conspicuous courage in circumstances of extreme danger".

L/Cpl Croucher had been on patrol on 9 February with 40 Commando Royal Marines.

His reconnaissance force had been investigating a Taliban compound where they suspected bombs were being made.

He felt himself walk into a tripwire which pulled the pin out of a grenade.

He said earlier this year: "I thought 'I'm going to get gravely injured whatever I do so I might as well jump in front of the grenade and try to save the lads.

"Being awarded the George Cross is a huge honour, for me and for 40 Commando.

"But there are so many acts of bravery by the lads that don't make it into the press.

"It's all part of the job - they would have done the same. You just do it."

L/Cpl Croucher served as a regular Royal Marine for five years, including two tours of Iraq, before working as a director of a security company.

Ellie

harrymac
11-03-08, 04:05 PM
I spent 24 years as a british royal marine. and a man who jumps on a grenade to save his oppos is to me a hero. he should have got the VC. just because he survived. the man should have got the victoria cross. there is no greater sacrafice then giving your life for your oppos. he did not know that his daysac was going to save him. to coin a movie phrase ;
'what a guy'

Zulu 36
11-03-08, 06:56 PM
I spent 24 years as a british royal marine. and a man who jumps on a grenade to save his oppos is to me a hero. he should have got the VC. just because he survived. the man should have got the victoria cross. there is no greater sacrafice then giving your life for your oppos. he did not know that his daysac was going to save him. to coin a movie phrase ;
'what a guy'

Amen.

Derek Blevins
11-04-08, 04:34 AM
One of our newspapers is reporting that L/Cpl Croucher's fiancee is called Victoria Cross!

If it's true, then he has the George Cross AND Victoria Cross.

As you say 'What a guy'!

Derek

ricky30091
11-04-08, 01:38 PM
Here's the latest; hear from the man himself:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/7521221.stm