PDA

View Full Version : N.J. Marine receives Bronze Star

thedrifter
10-30-08, 07:05 AM
N.J. Marine receives Bronze Star

10/28/2008 By Lance Cpl Michael Laycock ,

New Orleans —Capt. Joseph Lizarraga, Inspector/Instructor, Battery G, 3rd battalion, 14th Marines, and a Hamilton, N.J. native, was awarded the Bronze Star for meritorious service while on deployment in Iraq, at the reserve center in Trenton, N.J., Oct. 20.

Lizarraga received the award for his efforts during a seven month deployment to Iraq in which he oversaw 80 Marines from the Trenton, N.J., area as they preformed detainee operations. Lizarraga deflected credit from himself, praising the overall team effort of his unit during the time frame.

“I just simply couldn’t have done it without their talents” said Lizarraga. “I truly am, from the bottom of my heart, proud to be able to serve with these Marines.”

Battery G provided combat assistance and detainee care for the area surrounding a regional detention facility in Iraq. Their work was similar to a warden’s. They oversaw the detainees and maintained security of the facility.

“Detainee operations are very complex,” Lizarraga explained. “To do it correctly, you really have to perform and do the right things for the right reasons.

The Marines also worked closely with the local police, training them and augmenting their staff when necessary.

This is what earned them the title of “most customer friendly RDF out there” according to Lizarraga.

He was personally responsible for putting together a speech to help the detainees who were found innocent understand the Marines mission in Iraq.

“We are not here to conquer or to occupy,” Lizarraga would tell them. “We are here to help you. We are here to care about the safety and security of Iraq.”

Programs that Battery G started while in Iraq have gone on to other sites and have been very successful according to Lizarraga. He believes that it is because if you treat the Iraqis right, they will respect you.

Lizarraga received the Bronze Star because of the work he and his Marines did to make Iraq a safer place, and although he received the Bronze Star, if you ask Lizarraga, it’s his Marines that did all the work.

Ellie