PDA

View Full Version : Scottsbluff family very proud of Marine who died in Afghanistan

thedrifter
10-29-08, 03:04 PM
10/29/2008
Scottsbluff family very proud of Marine who died in Afghanistan
By CHABELLA GUZMAN , Scottsbluff Star-Herald

SCOTTSBLUFF — As a corporal in the U.S. Marine Corps, Adrian Robles excelled, say those who knew him.
He was a Marine others could look up to, one that displayed the Corps’ values in his everyday life. Robles received three Gold Conduct Medals and at 21 had already served in Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2006 and was serving in Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan when he was killed Oct. 22.

Services are planned for Saturday in Gering.

The Robles family would like Adrian to be remembered for the good man he was and the good he brought into the world through the military.

“He had always wanted to be a Marine,” said his father, Cesar Robles. “He wanted to make a difference for his country and his family — mostly for his family, so we can always have freedom.”

Robles’s grandfather Pedro A. Torres, another military man, was a big influence in his life. Torres had been a fighter pilot in World War II.

“He loved his grandpa so much,” Cesar Robles said. “He was a hero to him. Always looking up to his grandpa.”

At 16, Robles told his parents he wanted to join the Marines. At 17 he wanted them to sign the papers that would allow him to join before his 18th birthday.

“We told him no,” Yolanda Robles said.

“We told him that he would have to wait for his 18th birthday,” Cesar Robles said. “He joined right after high school.”

His family agreed that he was a very dedicated young man and that dedication was part of what made him excel.

“He would say, ‘This is what I want to do,’” Yolanda Robles said. “He would work very hard to attain the goals he set for himself.”

Robles’s unselfishness, determination and good attitude are why many liked to be around him.

“Adrian always had a great presence about him,” said his brother-in-law, James Montanez, an Air Force recruiter in Arizona.

“I’ve known Adrian since his senior year in high school, so we are like brothers,” he said. “It’s really rough when it hits so close to home, but I know he loved what he was doing.

“If you were having a bad day, he would bring you up. People always liked being around him.”

His older sister, Beatriz Montanez, agrees.

“As soon as he smiled, even if you were mad at him, you would stop and have to smile,” she said.

The grieving has only begun for his family members, who hold fond memories of a much-loved son and brother.

“It’s real hard. They took part of my life away,” Cesar Robles said. “I’m still hoping someone will call and say it was a mistake. It is very hard.”

His mother cannot find words yet for her grief. She just agrees that it is very hard. Robles’s sister is having a tough time.

“I’m trying to hold onto the good memories and know he was doing something he loved,” Beatriz said.

The young Marine was close to coming home. He didn’t have much time left.

Yolanda Robles agrees.

“Adrian always knew the dangers,” said his sister Yolanda. “The military never lied to him. With all that he knew, he still wanted to go and make a difference.

“Our military needs to be strong. They go and protect us. It’s not a game. We live the way we do because of their sacrifice.”

Ellie