PDA

View Full Version : Who killed this Iraq war veteran?

thedrifter
10-29-08, 02:57 PM
Who killed this Iraq war veteran?

Last Edited: Wednesday, 29 Oct 2008, 9:32 AM EDT

SARASOTA - Those who knew Delvis Fernandez will tell you no one worked harder, cared more, or gave more than this young Marine.

"He was a type of kid that if there was a problem, you'd see him try to resolve it he wasn't one to go pick a fight. He was a problem solver. He was just a great kid," said Captain Lucius Bonner of the Sarasota Police Department.

Captain Bonner coached Fernandez in football at Booker High School. Fernandez was a star wide receiver who still liked to visit the team and often spent time helping out on the field.

"He was a very caring individual. And I asked him a couple of times: 'Delvis, well you just seem a little different from the others.' And he said 'Well coach, it's my mom. It's how she raised me,'" explained Captain Bonner.

Fernandez spent 8 months fighting for his country in Iraq. He and his fellow Marines ran convoys. Loved ones say he made a point to write home to his mother and family as often as possible. He survived, only to be gunned down here at home.

"It's horrible. It's horrible. There's no other way to put it, just a horrible senseless act," said Coach Larry Richardson, who served as position coach for Fernandez while he was in high school and remained a close friend. "That kid was like my son. He's like a son to me and so it's tough. It's tough."

Fernandez was shot and killed last Friday in broad daylight. It happened at the Star Mini Mart just a few blocks from Booker High School. Police say the motive was robbery, possibly a carjacking.

Police have now arrested the alleged killer. They captured 18-year-old Deandre Tunstal Tuesday evening. His mother was already in jail, accused of helping him commit the crime. Investigators say she was the driver.

American flags fly proudly outside the Fernandez home. Loved ones say he dreamed of becoming a police officer and helping kids. Dreams he never got the chance to fulfill.

"I keep waking up thinking 'Oh, that's just a bad dream' and it's not. Delvis isn't coming back. He's never going to be back on this field," said Richardson. "When you take a young man's life, you can't, you can't bring him back. He's not coming back. I wish young people would think before they do things like this."

A viewing will be held for Delvis Fernandez Wednesday evening at the Palms Chapel and Funeral Home at Honore and Fruitville Road in Sarasota. The Funeral will be held at the same location Thursday morning at 10 a.m.

Ellie