PDA

View Full Version : Questions - Husband enlisting soon

linz005
10-29-08, 02:40 PM
I had a few questions that I thought could be answered by other women who are married to Marines. My husband is in the process of enlisting, and I had a few question

I know that we will qualify for Housing Assistance while he is in basic, but I was wondering if I will be able to access his salary that he will be getting while there. Our BHA won't be enought to cover everthing, but I think with his salary things will be fine!

Also, I was wondering if he will be able to use our current checking account or does he have to create a new one while he is down there.

I would appreciate any answers or information you may have. Thanks!

ecom
11-02-08, 07:53 PM
From what I remember when in boot camp, I was forced to open an account with a credit union for direct deposit. I don't remember if they allowed me to set up a joint account or not as I was single at the time. Everything he's paid will be deposited into that account.

If you already have a joint checking account, the only way he can use it would be if you sent him checks some time after he goes to boot camp, but he won't have any place to use it anyhow.

DobbinsBlythe
11-08-08, 07:32 AM
They make you get a FSNB account and you have the option to get a Navy Federal account. Make sure you get a power of attorney from your hubby before he ships off to boot. Basic pay is the same for everyone in his respective pay grade. If he enters as an E2 then he gets paid the same as all the other E2's... however.. I THINK they actually deduct your uniforms from your pay. That could be something to think about. The pay he receives as in.. the number on the chart is divided by two. They're paid on the 1st and 15th of every month.. with some conditions as in holidays and weekends in which they usually get paid BEFORE their regular payday.

BAH will cover a lot, his basic pay will help. Also, remember that you're getting almost 300 bucks/month for BAS which is your basic allowance for substinance (FOOD).

All those things add up! Welcome to the community. When does your hubby ship out?

There are a few other things that he can do for you.. i.e. give you account information so you can access it online, etc. If you have a power of attorney, you might be able to add yourself onto his account--depending on the amount of power given to you (there are different types of POA's).

I hope this has been helpful.