PDA

View Full Version : To take or not to take?

Enigmatic
10-29-08, 09:28 AM
Hey guys quick question, as some of you may know from my other posts, I'm kinda doing the single-father thing since my wife is up in Alaska so it's just me and my baby girl.

Halloween is this Friday, and I really want to take my daughter. She's 3 years old, is that too young to take a child trick-or-treating? I mean, she doesn't really know what's going on, but I know it would be a great experience and the girl loves candy!

I've already ruled out taking her out in our neighborhood, too many gangs and drugs and I really don't want to have to bust some cholo's head open :devious:. But a short drive to a more affluent neighborhood and I should be good.

I'm excited, but a small part worries. Will it be too cold? Will she get tired from all the walking? Will she be scared of the bigger kids' costumes? Am I making a big deal out of nothing? So on and so forth....thanks guys.

jrhd97
10-29-08, 09:40 AM
Find a church that is having a festival of some sort. Most areas have several that do. A safe environment where you can dress her up, play games and get candy.

dizark
10-29-08, 09:41 AM
Cpl, I had my daughter out when she was only a few months old. Of course, she fell asleep. Every year we've taken my daughter out and as she gets older, she's realizing more and more the idea of trick or treating. She loves it now.

She may be scared of the other costumes as sometimes my daughter is. You may also do some carrying as a young child doesn't want to walk very long distances. I hold her for a bit, then ask if she's ready to do more walking, then we continue.

Be sure to inspect all the Candy she does receive before giving it to her. Obviously you don't want her eating razor blades or something that has a needle mark in it. Maybe I'm overprotective, but my parents did the same thing for my brothers and I growing up.

Good luck, you'll have fun!

Enigmatic
10-29-08, 09:48 AM
Hey I appreciate the feedback, dizark, but remember you've gotta follow forum rules. I will take what you said into account though. Thank you.
Now MARCH YOURSELF TO THE RECRUIT AREA! Sorry, Ellie, couldn't resist!

temarti
10-29-08, 09:54 AM
jrhd97 had great advice, since this is her first the church is always a good event to start.

Enigmatic
10-29-08, 09:58 AM
Hey Andy, took your advice and found something near me. It's called "trunk or treat", it's done by a local church every year:

“Children may “trick or treat” by visiting many decorated
car trunks filled with Halloween candy.
There will also be a hayride, puppet show, a maze, refreshments
and games to make it a fun night for the whole family.
There will be a $100 gift card given away to one lucky door prize winner.
The event is free. Wear costumes if you wish.
In case of rain, activities will be held inside the church."

Could be fun....

jrhd97
10-29-08, 10:00 AM
They have those here. Took the kids a couple years ago. They enjoyed it.

Enigmatic
10-29-08, 10:02 AM
If I go it'll be my first time being anywhere near a church since I was a lay leader at boot camp!

thedrifter
10-29-08, 10:37 AM
Hey I appreciate the feedback, dizark, but remember you've gotta follow forum rules. I will take what you said into account though. Thank you.
Now MARCH YOURSELF TO THE RECRUIT AREA! Sorry, Ellie, couldn't resist!

You saw it first..Thanks!..Now if we can get the poolees to understand the Rules;)

Ellie

KawiGunny
10-29-08, 10:45 AM
Never pass up the oppertunity to do something special with you kids. I missed a lot with mine because I was always deployed. I won't miss anything else now.

Enigmatic
10-29-08, 11:58 AM
Believe me Gunny, I cherish every moment I am with my little one. How's VA Beach, by the way, Gunny? I miss living out there myself....

marinemom
10-29-08, 01:08 PM
Check out the local malls - lots of them do Halloween activites and allow trick-or-treating at various stores.

I used to do that with my son (a loooong time ago) and it was always great fun, for me as well as for him.

ScottsMom
10-29-08, 01:55 PM
I agree with marinemom. I used to do that with my kids and you never have to worry about bad weather. I hope you enjoy the experience with your daughter!

SupChf
10-29-08, 02:08 PM
Never pass up the oppertunity to do something special with you kids. I missed a lot with mine because I was always deployed. I won't miss anything else now.

Amen to that Brother!!!!!