PDA

View Full Version : ? about after SOI

futuregrunt03
05-28-03, 05:01 PM
I was wondering hoe do you know what unit you will be sent to after SOI such 24th meu (SOC) do you get to pick or do you go where they need people? I leave for PI on June 16 and I will be in the infantry. Thanks for the help.

22DevilPup87
05-28-03, 06:54 PM
I have no idea ... but I wanted to welcome you here.

Have you asked your recruiter?
Either someone will be able to give you an answer or give you a lead as to where to find the answer.

Good luck at boot camp! Be sure to search the pool-ee and mentor forum before ya leave and then introduce yourself as a Marine when you return. We love to see leatherneck poolees return to us as Marines - it's motivating for wannabes like me!

mbert
05-29-03, 04:16 PM
They may give you a chance to fill out a "Dream Sheet" where you get to list your top three choices... but don't bet on it. Even if you do, all decisions will be based upon the "Needs of the Corps". As a grunt, you will get the chance to deploy -- whether in a MEU or on a Unit rotation to Okinawa (UDP). It would be an even bet that if you are going to PI that you will go to 2nd MarDiv at Lejeune. That would mean a Med Cruise with a MEU or a 6 month UDP to Okinawa. Regardless, you will be sent to an excellent unit... It's a GREAT DAY TO BE IN THE CORPS!

marinemom
05-29-03, 06:11 PM
Might also put money on going to 3/3 at Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii - about 15 grunts out of my son's SOI class got their orders for Hawaii. The Island is not a given for an East Coast slot.

Just remember, no matter where you are sent, you will be A United States Marine - and there is nothing better!

futuregrunt03
05-30-03, 02:54 PM
thanks for all the info guys I appreciate it!!

thedrifter
05-30-03, 04:49 PM
Headquarters, U. S. Marine Corps will send you where you are needed according to you MOS and the needs of the Marine Corps. Nothing is taken for granted............Remember, no matter where you are sent is is for the Good of the Corps.

The Drifter

tferg78
05-31-03, 05:42 AM
Drifter has any and all answers. You also have to realize that the MEU's rotate infantry units so it could be one unit for 6 months then another the next time that MEU goes out. Being a Marine is great either way.

CPLRapoza
05-31-03, 05:46 AM
Three weeks or so before Graduation from SOI, your Squad leaders will take you down to Admin, and they'll issue you your orders there. I got lucky in the drawing, 29 stumps right off the bat, but it's not as bad as people say, I actually enjoyed it there. I'm an MSG now but wish I was still with my boys in 3rd LAR, I could have been in Iraq, but was in Shanghai instead.

leroy8541
05-31-03, 06:23 AM
At the begginning SOI of will fill out all your paperwork update your REDS, and stuff like that. Like someone said before there will be a dream sheet you get to pick out 3 duty stations that you would like to have, but don't bet on them. The grunts are pretty much the all purpose players in the corp, our primary duty is to close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver, but in a time of peace we guard the embassys, naval air stations,anything that the President thinks needs to be protected(next time you see the pres get off the helicopter look to see who is guarding him) he will send the Marine Corps Infantry. Then when you die St. Peter will add you to the guard roster in heaven Quote of the last verse of the Marines Hymn : When the Army and the Navy ever looks on heavens scenes, they will find the streets are guarded by UNITED STATES MARINES!!!

OOOORRRRRAAAAAAHHHHH

firstsgtmike
05-31-03, 07:37 AM
I graduated boot camp 45 years ago, so you know I have the latest, most up-to date scoop as to what happens after graduation.

Headquarters, Marine Corps sent to the two recruit depot their requirements for the month. x number would be sent here, x number would be sent there, etc.

I guess it was easier to do it on a graduating platoon basis, rather than by apportionment. One platoon, the majority received orders for x, another platoon for y and another for z.

I don't remember filling out a dream sheet (duty station preferences) when I graduated from my MOS school. Dream sheets were filled out with Fitness Reports (E-5 and above) and when I graduated from Recruiters School.

An interesting note; scuttlebutt (conventional wisdom) had it that you were NOT going to get what you asked for, so NEVER ask for a duty station that you wanted. Put down your worst choices and be assured you wouldn't get them.

I watched a lot of people crying because they got exactly what they asked for.

I could read the smoke signals and could read which way the wind was blowing. Therefore, I chose (and received) the best of what was happening at the moment.

(My first haircut in bootcamp, the wiseass barber asked me how I wanted my hair styled. I told him;"Let's be different this time, let's cut it all off".) And I wasn't disappointed.

Patrick8605
06-04-03, 08:06 AM
I don't care where the Corps puts me...If the Corps needs me in Logistics, I'll go to Logistics. If they need mechanics, I'll go there. And I'll be the most motivated person the Corps has ever seen!

I really want to be a Grunt, but the Corps's needs over ride mine.

mbert
06-04-03, 04:13 PM
Patrick - you MOS is your job, being a Marine is your career. Every Marine is a rifleman, regardless of whether they turn a wrench or drive a truck. You chose to be a grunt when you enlisted, regardless of what specialty they give you. Give'em hell!

Patrick8605
06-05-03, 06:21 AM
I havn't enlisted yet but when I do the entire Marine Corps will Know.

Phil
06-09-03, 01:26 PM
When I enlisted I signed up for overseas duty and ended up stationed w/ 2/3 in K-Bay. It all depends on what you signed up for and what the Corps needs, w/ the latter coming first.

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-09-03, 02:31 PM
For some reason, K Bay is considered an over seas tour. But, if you have to be "over seas" I can't think of a better place to be.

Looking at where you will be sent is dificult, but in the infantry you have a chance. The batalions are filled in certain orders more or less. There is a cycle of getting new people, working up for deployment, being deployed, standing down, and starting over. For example, iof 3/3 got 15 people from a recent SO class you can guess that they are in the middle of getting all of their people. So, if you finish SOI a few months later, it is a safe bet that 3/3 is not in your future. Often, nearly whole classes from SOI (Those not going to Security Forces) go to the same unit, because that is the one in the "picking up" phase.