PDA

View Full Version : Curious about the Marine Reserve Units

FullMetalFuture
10-28-08, 09:32 PM
I hate to be ignorant on the subject, but thats what this forum is here for. I am looking to enlist in the Reserves early 2009. Now I took the asvab back in high school and if I recall I did very well. My question is...In the reserves is your job pool based on your asvab AND what the reserve units in your area do? I live in Knoxville, Tennessee and the 4thMarDiv has Medical and Engineering battalions here. Would those be my only options?

yellowwing
10-28-08, 09:36 PM
If you want to drive to Nashville, I know they have a Grunt Unit. What's keeping you in K-Town?

FullMetalFuture
10-28-08, 09:41 PM
If you want to drive to Nashville, I know they have a Grunt Unit. What's keeping you in K-Town?

I wouldnt mind driving to Nash, Chattanooga, or Johnson City. I didnt know how that worked as far as drilling out of your local area.

yellowwing
10-28-08, 09:45 PM
I don't know the current specifics on radius' from your Home Unit. Someone will step-up that knows for sure.

FullMetalFuture
10-28-08, 09:49 PM
I hope you and your fellow Marines don't take this wrong, but not IF but WHEN I get through boot I have little to no interest in working with the Engineering Battalion. Like I said thats no disrespect.

Scottie0417
10-29-08, 12:09 AM
FullMetalFutute I believe it is an option to choose the MOS that you want but drill with a Reserve unit that is different from your MOS. I live in Kalamazoo, MI and went 03. There is a Motor T unit in Battle Creek which is about 20 minutes from the Zoo which my recruiter said I could drill out of as an 03. Even though I didn't choose to drill out of Battle Creek the option was available.

rvillac2
10-29-08, 03:45 AM
For the Reserve, you have to be recruited into a position in the TOE of the Reserve Unit. Many reserve units have support elements like Comm, Supply, Admin, Motor T, etc. That's why there is a limited amount of MOS variety at a Reserve Center.

The best thing to do is contact the Reserve center and ask them what MOS's are available in the unit. Believe it or not, an Engineering Battallion doesn't only have engineers in it.

You have some flexibility when it comes to how far you can live away from the unit. Mostly that is a question of how much the CO cares about it. You can't live so far that it is an extreme financial burden for you to travel to drill. However, we've had Marines relocate to cities 400+ miles away and continue to drill with us.

As for getting an MOS and drilling at a unit that doesn't have your MOS...forget it. Your recruiter was snowing you Scottie. A football team doesn't go out recruiting left-handed baseball batters. The reason why you're guaranteed a specific MOS in the Reserve is because you are being trained for a specifc position in the unit.

However, when a Marine who has already been to MOS school has to relocate away from his original unit, there are allowances for the Marine to drill with another unit and crosstrain into a position. This also occurs when an active duty Marine joins the local Reserve unit even if their TOE doesn't include their original MOS.

FullMetalFuture
10-29-08, 06:31 AM
For the Reserve, you have to be recruited into a position in the TOE of the Reserve Unit. Many reserve units have support elements like Comm, Supply, Admin, Motor T, etc. That's why there is a limited amount of MOS variety at a Reserve Center.

The best thing to do is contact the Reserve center and ask them what MOS's are available in the unit. Believe it or not, an Engineering Battallion doesn't only have engineers in it.

You have some flexibility when it comes to how far you can live away from the unit. Mostly that is a question of how much the CO cares about it. You can't live so far that it is an extreme financial burden for you to travel to drill. However, we've had Marines relocate to cities 400+ miles away and continue to drill with us.

As for getting an MOS and drilling at a unit that doesn't have your MOS...forget it. Your recruiter was snowing you Scottie. A football team doesn't go out recruiting left-handed baseball batters. The reason why you're guaranteed a specific MOS in the Reserve is because you are being trained for a specifc position in the unit.

However, when a Marine who has already been to MOS school has to relocate away from his original unit, there are allowances for the Marine to drill with another unit and crosstrain into a position. This also occurs when an active duty Marine joins the local Reserve unit even if their TOE doesn't include their original MOS.

Wow, ty for the answers!!!

And let me make this clear. I know that I'd be happy with any MOS in the Marine Corps, my only motive is to find something that i can do in the Marines that will transition back into civi life.

Enigmatic
10-29-08, 09:15 AM
Tony, nothing wrong with going reservist, but please don't tell me you're only wanting to stick around in TN to please the lady!! You might regret it one day!

FullMetalFuture
10-29-08, 09:38 AM
Tony, nothing wrong with going reservist, but please don't tell me you're only wanting to stick around in TN to please the lady!! You might regret it one day!

LoL! Nah. That aint it.

I am wanting to do reserve at this point so I can see how it works out for me. I one day want to go active, but right now it wouldnt be so much of a good thing for me. Im wanting to finish college up and possibly got a job working corrections or patrol once I complete boot.

Enigmatic
10-29-08, 09:43 AM
OK....if you say so. I'm looking into the DOC or Law Enforcement also, just remember you're still young, you could go active duty and then come back and do whatever you want, but it's your choice.

FullMetalFuture
10-29-08, 10:21 AM
Ok Ok...Partly my reason to stay around right now is her job is one that she has to build clientele. She has now built that clientele and makes pretty damn good money. I dont know how it would work out, but I dont know if she could live with me in the FMF as just a "girlfriend".

The decision is ultimately mine...I guess I just need to find a recruiter and sit down with him about it.

joecoul89
10-29-08, 02:18 PM
but I dont know if she could live with me in the FMF as just a "girlfriend".

Unless you are married, you cannot live with her on base, and you will probably have to get a barracks room.

willjr75
10-29-08, 02:58 PM
Hey FMF. I gotta tell you. As rvillac2 (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=38516) said, The recruiter was feeding Scottie a line of shiat about drilling with another unit close to home as another MOS unless they have a billet for Communications or something of the sort. The Corps isn't gonna train a Marine and send them to school to work on Harrier jets so they can drill with another unrelated unit unless they have served active and later joined the Reserves.

It looks like the only options you have in the Reserves are being a Combat Engineer with Company D, 4th Combat Engineer Battalion, 4thMarDiv (http://www.mfr.usmc.mil/4thmardiv/4thCEB/CoD/)in Knoxsville, Infantry with Company L, 3rd Battalion, 24th Marines, 4thMarDiv (http://www.mfr.usmc.mil/4thmardiv/24thmar/3dbn/col)1 hour and 40 mins away in Johnson City, and Artillery with Battery M, 3rd Battalion, 14th Marines, 4thMarDiv (http://www.mfr.usmc.mil/4thmardiv/14thmar/3dBn/Btry%20M/M_Home.htm) about 2 hours away in Chattanooga.

I looked for other units in surrounding states but most are over 3 hours away. Most units will not want you to travel that far to drill.

I know you want to do something in the Corps that you can transition into later in life. There aren't to many MOS's that allow you to do that. At my job now which is on a railroad, I've got former Marines with previous MOS's in Infantry, Communications, Aircraft Maintenance, Supply, and 1 with an Intel MOS. None have been able to transition with their former MOS's.

It seems to be that your only options are to either go active with an MOS you really want or to go Reserves which isn't to bad. On a plus note, being a Combat Engineer in Knoxville isn't that bad. They are a Combat Engineer unit and will mostly work with Demolitions unlike other Engineers in Support Battalions.

If I were in your shoes and I wanted to stay close to home, I would go Reserves and continue to go to school while trying to get into law enforcement. If you get a degree, you can later Mustang in the Corps as an Officer.

Good Luck.

ZSKI
10-29-08, 04:19 PM
Wow, ty for the answers!!!

And let me make this clear. I know that I'd be happy with any MOS in the Marine Corps, my only motive is to find something that i can do in the Marines that will transition back into civi life.

Well like they said there are plenty of MOS's in an engineer battalion and not all engineers are CE's. there are HE ops that in union can make anywhere from 40 thousand to 100 thousand a year depending on experience and hours loged. The HE mechanics. Surveyors. ABV opperators. Not to mention they will have motor t (Translates to a CDL) supply, admin, etc etc. even combat engineers have it easy to get into the masons union or carpenter.

FullMetalFuture
10-29-08, 04:29 PM
Hey FMF. I gotta tell you. As rvillac2 (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=38516) said, The recruiter was feeding Scottie a line of shiat about drilling with another unit close to home as another MOS unless they have a billet for Communications or something of the sort. The Corps isn't gonna train a Marine and send them to school to work on Harrier jets so they can drill with another unrelated unit unless they have served active and later joined the Reserves.

It looks like the only options you have in the Reserves are being a Combat Engineer with Company D, 4th Combat Engineer Battalion, 4thMarDiv (http://www.mfr.usmc.mil/4thmardiv/4thCEB/CoD/)in Knoxsville, Infantry with Company L, 3rd Battalion, 24th Marines, 4thMarDiv (http://www.mfr.usmc.mil/4thmardiv/24thmar/3dbn/col)1 hour and 40 mins away in Johnson City, and Artillery with Battery M, 3rd Battalion, 14th Marines, 4thMarDiv (http://www.mfr.usmc.mil/4thmardiv/14thmar/3dBn/Btry%20M/M_Home.htm) about 2 hours away in Chattanooga.

I looked for other units in surrounding states but most are over 3 hours away. Most units will not want you to travel that far to drill.

I know you want to do something in the Corps that you can transition into later in life. There aren't to many MOS's that allow you to do that. At my job now which is on a railroad, I've got former Marines with previous MOS's in Infantry, Communications, Aircraft Maintenance, Supply, and 1 with an Intel MOS. None have been able to transition with their former MOS's.

It seems to be that your only options are to either go active with an MOS you really want or to go Reserves which isn't to bad. On a plus note, being a Combat Engineer in Knoxville isn't that bad. They are a Combat Engineer unit and will mostly work with Demolitions unlike other Engineers in Support Battalions.

If I were in your shoes and I wanted to stay close to home, I would go Reserves and continue to go to school while trying to get into law enforcement. If you get a degree, you can later Mustang in the Corps as an Officer.

Good Luck.

Wow, ty so much for the answers. Honestly...I think the title "Marine", will help you transition into anything civi wise. You Marines are very helpful. Thank you.

YutYut
10-30-08, 03:27 PM
Going to add to this. Transitioning to the civilian world and doing something MOS related isn't necessarily difficult. It has more to do with where you intend to live/work when you get out. I was comm and work in the DC area. My first job was dealing with intel systems. I'm in IT now, doing what I did in the Corps. I make good money, but that's thanks to my security clearance. The DC area especially, but many other areas too, have DoD contractors that require commo guys, intel bubbas, and the like. If you want to move back home after 4-5 years in the Corps, you might want to look at the opportunities in your area now. Otherwise, do what you want in the Corps. Of course, that only matters if you go Active Duty.

FullMetalFuture
10-30-08, 03:47 PM
Going to add to this. Transitioning to the civilian world and doing something MOS related isn't necessarily difficult. It has more to do with where you intend to live/work when you get out. I was comm and work in the DC area. My first job was dealing with intel systems. I'm in IT now, doing what I did in the Corps. I make good money, but that's thanks to my security clearance. The DC area especially, but many other areas too, have DoD contractors that require commo guys, intel bubbas, and the like. If you want to move back home after 4-5 years in the Corps, you might want to look at the opportunities in your area now. Otherwise, do what you want in the Corps. Of course, that only matters if you go Active Duty..

Honestly...I may go active. My girlfriend doesn't know the potential benefits and advantages. I appreciate all the information.