PDA

View Full Version : Feild Radio Op.? What gets me close to the front?

NewEraKnight
10-28-08, 07:23 PM
Hey, Guys. Another wanna-be here. Must be hundreds of guys like me who come through this site.

Now i know the ovbious answer to "what gets me close to the front", 03xx MOS, but I was wondering what else would get you close to the action? (I don't have a deathwish or anything, its just I have a burning desire to serve my country and do so on the front instead of at the back or at a desk)

I was looking at Communications, and it seemed like being Feild Radio Operation would get me in with the "grunts" but as I've searched around here it seems like I could be lumped up with some artillery guys or something like that. Not that there's anything wrong at all with artillery, one of the most nessesary parts of modern combat, but as a Field Radio Op with artillery, I'm not sure I'd be doing much.

Being a Feild Radio Op on the line sounds like something I would want to do though. Depending on how good of a Radio Op. I would be, could I "choose" (read: volunteer) to go with infantry units, or is it entierly up to fate? And also, I've heard that you can't pick your exact MOS. When you talk to a recruiter, you can pick maybe 03xx, or 06xx but not your specific role. In my opinion, it would really suck to pick 06xx only to become a Construction Wireman. which I doubt I'd be much good at anyway. Anyway to narrow that down? or go into infantry and be a mortarman (Trig didn't go well for me)

Thanks,

Another Hopeful.

joecoul89
10-28-08, 09:05 PM
well you might as well go infantry...You want to be in the action, and work with the grunts, but you don't want to be one? That makes no sense. You could try combat engineer though, or maybe military police...

sparkie
10-28-08, 09:53 PM
Sounds like you're playin hide and seek. Just hold onto your cellphone, and stay close to Mama.

NewEraKnight
10-28-08, 10:05 PM
Sounds like you're playin hide and seek. Just hold onto your cellphone, and stay close to Mama.

haha, what? I'm still looking into infantry, but I was wondering if there were any other MOS's that get close to the frontlines. I don't know why, but Field Radio Operator caught my attention. And I was looking into combat engineer too, but from what I could gather, which was little, it didn't seem to be too combat-oriented. Mostly building and removing structures. Maybe I was wrong though. an MP? hmm.. Interesting idea. I knew a guy who was an MP (navy though... ) he said he had some interesting experiences.

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-28-08, 11:00 PM
Just about every unit needs some radio operators. You could end up in the Air Wing just as easily as anywhere else. If you're wanting to be a grunt, it isn't a safe path to try to get there.

More importantly, if you are assigned to an infantry unit, the chances of you doing what you think you'd be doing are slim. Radio guys aren't a part of the fun- they are attached to the headquarters sections. You help the grunts set radios up, you run networks in the rear, and things like that. The radios aren't all that difficult to operate, the grunts will have one of their own do it when possible.

joecoul89
10-29-08, 06:53 AM
I suggested MP because I knew two of them, and both were pretty much on the front lines. One of the guys got blown up by an RPG and had shrapnel tear up his back...although this was at the start of the war in Iraq...

NewEraKnight
10-29-08, 08:35 AM
hmm... thanks for the input, guys! though, its looking like only 03xx really gets you on the front for sure. Good to know, thanks again.