View Full Version : Straight from the masters

thedrifter
10-27-08, 08:27 AM
October 27, 2008
Straight from the masters

Band members inspire local students

By Amy Ryan
Everest Herald

The U.S. Marine Band usually performs for state occasions and events at the White House that include guests such as the prime minister of Italy. On Oct. 16, the band nicknamed "The President's Own" conducted master classes for students in the D.C. Everest Area School District.

The band visits schools on a daily basis during the month of October, while it's on tour, and its members often do so while they are at home in Washington, D.C. It is a part of their job they enjoy, said Master Gunnery Sgt. Andy Schuller, who plays trumpet with the band.

"I was a school teacher for five years before I joined the Marine Band. I really enjoy working with kids," Schuller said. "They have interesting questions, and I'm always surprised how thoughtful they are."

Schuller said he hopes the students gain an appreciation for music during the school visits and master classes.

"Even if they don't play an instrument, I hope they learn to enjoy music," he said.

For the students who play instruments, getting advanced instruction was helpful.

The Marines "taught me a new way to breathe," said senior Angela Bemowski, who plays clarinet in the D.C. Everest senior high band. "I learned something. I'm excited."

The kids at the school were "lit up to get up close and personal with that level of professionalism," said Ted Aarrestad, director of bands at the D.C. Everest Senior High.

"It will have an immediate difference on playing skills and attitudes," he said.

Those who missed the Oct. 15 performance by the band at the D.C. Everest Senior High School were grateful to have the opportunity to see the band members in the schools.

"It's very interesting and it really motivates the kids," said Mike Kraemer, 43, of Rothschild. He attended the schooal performance at Rothschild Elementary, where his 10-year-old daughter, Heather, is a student.

"I think (the kids) are very encouraged to play instruments now," added his wife, Sarah, 40.

Ellie