PDA

View Full Version : Marine returns to Post Falls

thedrifter
10-27-08, 08:18 AM
Marine returns to Post Falls

By PATRICK O'BRIEN
Staff writer

Family, friends welcome Collingwood with celebration

POST FALLS -- Lance Corporal Jeff Collingwood didn't think the recommended 18 bottles of water was necessary when he was assigned to a weeklong operation in Garmsir. He brought six bottles, his night vision goggles, one change of socks and underwear, ammunition, some grenades, and a carton of cigarettes to the southern city in the Helmand Province of Afghanistan.

"I was going to be pretty content -- five to seven days with that," the Marine said.

Five to seven days turned into an extended five-month operation.

On Saturday, Collingwood, 21, returned to Post Falls after ending an eight-month deployment earlier this month. He was welcomed home Sunday by friends and family who gathered at the Odd Fellows and Rebecca's Lodge.

"I have never been so happy to hug him and see him in my entire life," said Collingwood's father, also named Jeff.

His mother said she would be able to sleep at night.

"I'm looking forward to having him home for the holidays, just knowing he's safe, where I can reach him," Tamara Collingwood said.

The 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit began returning to the Marine Corp Base Camp in Lejeune, N.C., on Oct. 18. Collingwood said he expects the unit to be redeployed, likely to Afghanistan, around October of next year.

In the meantime Collingwood said he was looking forward to relaxing with his family, catching up on the movies he missed, and preparing for his next tour.

"I'm just going to continue to train and better myself for the next deployment, and make sure all my Marines, that I have, are ready for their first deployment combat ..." he said.

Collingwood, who graduated from Post Falls High School in 2005 and enlisted in the Marines in 2006, is engaged to be married in April to Michelle Baldwin, of Post Falls.

"A lot of things that you are accustomed to here that you think you need definitely don't exist over there," Collingwood said, describing temperatures in excess of 120 degrees and drinking water so hot it burned his mouth.

After being in the Afghan desert, Collingwood admitted he was finding the North Idaho climate cold, but was definitely looking forward to snowboarding this winter at Schweitzer.

Collingwood said his time in Garmsir was chaotic.

"We're going on patrols and trying to win the hearts and minds of the people there and fight the Taliban at the same time, so it's like an on and off switch all the time ... trying to be a nice guy, and not get killed ... it's pretty challenging at times," he said.

Tamara said she and her son were able to stay in pretty close contact, but at one point went about six weeks without being in touch.

"Morale definitely goes down when you're not talking to your family or getting mail," Collingwood said.

Collingwood said he wanted civilians back home to know the situation in Afghanistan is different from what they may hear.

"The marines going over there who conduct themselves professionally, and are held to a standard ... and are doing a lot of good things, and we just need to hang tight ... and let us do our jobs," Collingwood said.

"My heart and my prayers go out to all military families that are going through this," his mother said.

Ellie