PDA

View Full Version : MOS 2673 Asia-Pacific Cryptologic Linguist

kagekuma
10-27-08, 02:56 AM
Dear Marines,

My name is Van and I'm a wannabe. I've spoken with my local recruiter about joining the Corps. Currently we are concentrating on getting me down to fighting weight. He said before that, we wouldn't be discussing jobs.

However, my question is this. For any Marine currently or previously serving in MOS 2673 or any other linguists, did you choose to learn a language you already had capacity in, a new language, or was a language assigned to you?

I understand I will need to take the DLAB and get my score before I can honestly have my choices set before me. I currently am fluent in French and Vietnamese. My hope is to attend Language School and gain proficiency in either Japanese or Chinese (Mandarin). Failing that, strengthening my grasp of my current background.

Also, I understand that the needs of the Marine Corps outweigh my own and they may very well assign me to learn a different language.

Thank you for your time. This is my first post. If I have done anything contrary to the spirit and rules of this forum, please let me know so that I may rectify ASAP.

~Van Nguyen
Lafayette, LA

0231Marine
10-27-08, 07:37 AM
Dear Marines,

My name is Van and I'm a wannabe. I've spoken with my local recruiter about joining the Corps. Currently we are concentrating on getting me down to fighting weight. He said before that, we wouldn't be discussing jobs.

However, my question is this. For any Marine currently or previously serving in MOS 2673 or any other linguists, did you choose to learn a language you already had capacity in, a new language, or was a language assigned to you?

I understand I will need to take the DLAB and get my score before I can honestly have my choices set before me. I currently am fluent in French and Vietnamese. My hope is to attend Language School and gain proficiency in either Japanese or Chinese (Mandarin). Failing that, strengthening my grasp of my current background.

Also, I understand that the needs of the Marine Corps outweigh my own and they may very well assign me to learn a different language.

Thank you for your time. This is my first post. If I have done anything contrary to the spirit and rules of this forum, please let me know so that I may rectify ASAP.

~Van Nguyen
Lafayette, LA

It's my understanding that you don't pick the language you learn. They will tell you what you'll be taking if you qualify because as you said, the needs of the Marine Corps are greater than your own.

MGySgtSki
10-27-08, 10:58 AM
It's my understanding that you don't pick the language you learn. They will tell you what you'll be taking if you qualify because as you said, the needs of the Marine Corps are greater than your own.

Yep, you are correct. Based on the DLAB scores and needs of the Marine Corps, you will be assigned to a particular language.

kagekuma
10-27-08, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. Do ya'll have any experiences in this field or any friends who do? I enjoy learning languages and want to know would it be more useful to pursue this MOS or an Intelligence MOS.

MGySgtSki
10-27-08, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. Do ya'll have any experiences in this field or any friends who do? I enjoy learning languages and want to know would it be more useful to pursue this MOS or an Intelligence MOS.

I've been a 2600 for 20 years now, so I'd say, yes, I've got a little experience in the field.

S/F

0231Marine
10-28-08, 07:03 AM
I was in Intel for 5 years and have seen or done it all on that side of the house so between me and MSgt, you could probably ask anything and get an answer.

kagekuma
10-29-08, 06:09 AM
MSgtSki and 0231Marine, when going over my contract for a first time enlistment, can I have stipulated that I enter a particular MOS or only a general field like 2600 and 0200?

I really do appreciate your help. My recruiter was an MP and couldn't really fill me in on either fields.

0231Marine
10-29-08, 07:12 AM
MSgt, please correct me if I'm wrong...

I believe that if you're going in as Active Duty, you can only pick the 26XX or 02XX designator. If you're a reservist, then you can pick the specific MOS within those fields (2673, 0231).

I know when I enlisted active duty, my contract read 02XX - Ground/Signals Intelligence. I told them what my preference was and I ended up getting it.

MGySgtSki
10-29-08, 09:58 AM
MSgt, please correct me if I'm wrong...

I believe that if you're going in as Active Duty, you can only pick the 26XX or 02XX designator. If you're a reservist, then you can pick the specific MOS within those fields (2673, 0231).

I know when I enlisted active duty, my contract read 02XX - Ground/Signals Intelligence. I told them what my preference was and I ended up getting it.

From all I know, yes, that's correct.

kagekuma
10-29-08, 09:16 PM
Hmm, that's interesting. So would it be possible to become a reservist and choose the MOS I want and then at a future point make the switch to Active and stay in that MOS?

As a reservist would I still attend Language School if in a 26XX MOS?

MGySgtSki
10-29-08, 09:27 PM
You'd have to talk to a recruiter about that. My only experience has been with the active duty side. It's a possibility you could do just that, but the 26xx field is a different animal than most, so I wouldn't count on it.

Best thing to do is ask a recruiter and if they can't give you a straight answer, drop me a PM and I can ask the 26xx reserve head that question or put you in touch with him.