PDA

View Full Version : Any new ideas?

IdleeyesUSMC
10-26-08, 02:35 PM
Hello Sirs, I recently went to Meps, enlisted, and so on. I recieved a 97 overall on my ASVAB, which enables me for any job in the Corps. Now I have wanted to be a Marine as long as i can remember, my Great-Grandpa was an officer, my Grandpa was an officer, and i want to be an officer. Anyways i have an MOS question: I am currently enlisted in Data Systems, and my recruiter is watching Cryptological Linguistics if it opens up before i leave, because i want to have a job that will give me a good mental challenge. I actually have always wanted to be Scout Sniper, but my recruiter doesnt think it would utilize me mentally enough. I really dont want to get stuck with some desk job, so i was wondering if you all could help me with any ideas as to a job that will challenge me mentally and put me to good use, but also not put me in a chair. Thank you Sirs for your time.

Marine84
10-26-08, 04:58 PM
If I were in your shoes, ANYTHING the Marine Corps handed me would be better than unloading trucks for Frito Lay.

Wyoming
10-26-08, 08:55 PM
Kim, dagnabbit, you scored on that one.

ecfree
10-26-08, 09:08 PM
Hey kid,you could be a pilot and fly in the Frito-Lay to our troops in the cat box....:banana:

joecoul89
10-26-08, 09:12 PM
You might want to look at the Intelligence field or something like Combat Engineer. Stay away from jobs like Admin or Supply because they are more desk jobs. Data Systems will probably have you using your head a lot though. This is just what I have heard from other people so this probably isn't great advice, but oh well.

IdleeyesUSMC
10-31-08, 12:07 AM
Thank you all for the advice.

bgsuwoody
10-31-08, 10:23 AM
I scored a 97 too. Guess what...I am a grunt...love it. You have to do what you want to do and what interests you, that test doesn't mean anything, you are going to have a few more "tests" in the Marine Corps that will challenge your will more than your mind and that is so much more important than the ASVAB. Just do whatever you think you want to do

SupChf
10-31-08, 10:59 AM
You might want to look at the Intelligence field or something like Combat Engineer. Stay away from jobs like Admin or Supply because they are more desk jobs. Data Systems will probably have you using your head a lot though. This is just what I have heard from other people so this probably isn't great advice, but oh well.

Just what are you getting at with the Supply remark?.....just kidding. The supply field has transitioned quite a bit over the last 18 years that I've been in it. Still "fly the desk", but upon retirement, I'm set for a good job in the 1st Civ Div.

Oh yea, and I use my head quite a bit, usually to find a way to help (aka hook-up) a Grunt that has lost or destroyed something......Gotta love the Grunts...I have 3 brain cells left and the weekends here....