PDA

View Full Version : Larue Barnes: One of the 'Chosin Few'

thedrifter
10-26-08, 07:30 AM
Larue Barnes: One of the 'Chosin Few'

Editor’s note: This is Part 1 of a two-part story.

Part 2 will run next Sunday.

As I talked with Mickey Scott of Cleburne, I was reminded of a bumper sticker that read, “One of the Chosin Few.”

No, that’s not misspelled, and Scott is one of them.

Patriotism was at its peak in America in 1946. Frances Elizabeth Scott of Hamlin signed the necessary parental permission forms and watched as the youngest of her seven children, Mickey, 17, left home, hitching a ride to Abilene to join the United States Marines.

In the years ahead, the dreaded telegram came that listed him as “Missing in Action.”

He is convinced that God spared his life.

He’s never told this much before.

His first duty lasted just eight months without combat. Overseas duty was in Hawaii in security functions where he completed high school requirements through the Marine Corps Institute in his liberty time. He transferred from USMC active duty to USMC Reserves, and completed one year at Hardin Simmons University in Abilene, on the G. I. Bill.

He said, “It was difficult to settle from security activity to static classroom work, so I transferred to USMC active duty again.

“On June 25, 1950, peace was taken from South Korea by North Korea,” he continued. “It seemed that every Marine worldwide volunteered for war duty. I began the odyssey aboard the USS Boxer to Pearl Harbor, then flew to Inchon, South Korea via Japan. I joined the First Marine Division in Seoul and the Seventh Marine Regiment in Uijongbu near the 38th parallel.”

The First Marine Division withdrew from South Korea and boarded LSTs at Inchon for amphibious landings on the East Coast of North Korea.

He recalled, “Fire fights on company patrols began with Chinese communist forces [CCF] from Wonsan on the coast to Yudam-ni on the Chosin Reservoir. The U. N. had been warned by China not to go beyond the 38th parallel.

“That was ignored; therefore, the Chinese communists came at us with a vengeance. They feared that we would invade their country.”

He said they approached with caution towards the Chosin Reservoir with scouts sent ahead. Scott is one of the “Chosin Few” who survived.

He explained, “The Marines lost many fine Americans in this campaign towards the Yalu River. Those who did not return from Korea were the patriotic heroes. There were many battles near Sudong-ni, Koto-ri, Hagaru-ri and Yudam-ni. The completed missions in war just can’t be won without casualties. In the corps the mission ranks ahead of individual welfare. Marines understand and accept the hazards of war.”

He said that on Nov. 27, 1950, Dog Company was settled on Hill 1240 at Yudam-ni and began the usual daily patrols to find the enemy. The bitter, frigid weather of ice, snow and winds about the mountains presented terrible conditions for the troops on both sides.

He recalled, “Dog Company included about 200 to 250 Marines, except many were lost in fire fights in combat. Marine air, naval guns, air force and marine artillery supported infantry against enemy troops by calling in artillery, aircraft and gun ships. About ten miles north from Yudam-ni, Dog received machine gun fire about noon. The company stopped in a rice paddy to check the situational environment. Orders were given and each platoon and section took its position to return fire and move out fast.

“As a fire team leader, I received orders from our platoon leader to take and hold a small, barren, rocky hill against the whole CCF. I figured that Dog Company would pass on the double to get the troops through the fire fight to base camp on Hill 1240 near Yudam-ni to alert the regiment.

“I sent a Marine to scout over the hill within view and another, to check the right flank within view. The scout dashed back, and I knew what the rush indicated.

“The hill was covered with belligerent Chinese behind him, aiming at us. The hill was swarming with literally thousands of them. The three of us were thinking, ‘Either we do or die now.’

“There were about three seconds to make a decision. The mission was scratched as three could not take, hold, or act, as there was no cover or concealment. Any other decision would have been suicidal.”

He had no idea what lay ahead for him. Scott would endure 990 days as a prisoner of war.

Scott’s story will continue

next Sunday.

Larue Barnes may be reached at laruebarnes@yahoo.com.

Ellie

thedrifter
11-04-08, 08:26 AM
Larue Barnes: Memoirs of a former POW <br />
<br />
Editor’s note: This is Part II of a story about Mickey Scott. <br />
<br />
Part I ran last Sunday. <br />
<br />
In Part I of Mickey Scott’s story, the Marine encountered...