PDA

View Full Version : The Newest Unit at Cherry Point is up and Running

thedrifter
10-25-08, 05:40 AM
The Newest Unit at Cherry Point is up and Running

By Allan Hoffman
Six & Nightside Edition Anchor
Published: October 23, 2008

They are fighting marines and they are ready to fly. Today, the Marine Corps at Cherry Point activated the newest helicopter unit that will fly the latest marine choppers here in the east. They are called HMLA 467 –Known as “The Sabers”. Eventual unit strength will exceed 150 marines- but today it was the equipment that stole the show.

As you might expect, there was plenty of pomp and ceremony as the Marines at Cherry Point activate Light Attack Squadron 46. The “Sabers” will train on the latest model Huey’s and Attack Cobras Of course these are two aircraft that for decades have been a fighting marine’s friend.
Master Gunnery Sgt. Jeffrey Schmidt puts it this way,” You hear the beat of the blades and you know help is on the way.”

In fact, for an old Huey pilot like me - just watching these aircraft brought back those long days in the war in Vietnam. “I mean you know you’ve got a good thing when an aircraft is that old and still combat relevant.” Says Commander Officer Lt. Col. C.H. Streeter. And the fact this is the Anniversary of the attack on the marine barracks in Beirut it didn’t take the shine off of the occasion. Col. Streeter put it this way,” The terrorists who bombed that embassy and killed those Marines are the same kind of folks who took those towers on 9-11 and it’s because those folks exist that 467 was created.”

In fact, a lot of people who came for the ceremony were old enough to have flown Huey’s 30 or 40 years ago. But Col. Streeter puts it in perspective. “This is not your father’s aircraft; this is not your fathers Huey. They look the same but believe me they’ve been upgraded.”

Eventually their helicopters will become even less like your fathers Huey. The Squadron will be getting the very top of the line Hueys and Cobras. The unit will train at cherry point and then in 20-12 move to New River Air Station next to Camp Lejuene

Video

http://www.wnct.com/nct/news/local/military/article/the_newest_unit_at_cherry_point_is_up_and_running/21906/

Ellie