PDA

View Full Version : 'Keep your head on a swivel'

thedrifter
10-24-08, 05:00 AM
MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. —The nature of today’s battlefields require every service member to be rifle savvy regardless of their job, age or rank. With insurgents launching ambushes and improvised explosive device attacks on support elements, it’s more important than ever for Marines to remember their warrior ethos.

One particular Marine, a platoon commander from the Infantry Weapons Repair Shop of 2nd Maintenance Battalion, 2nd Marine Logistics Group, is a prime example of 233 years of maintaining a combat mindset on the grounds of war.

In March 2008, Chief Warrant Officer Ronald C. Ivy served as the logistics advisor for the I Marine Expeditionary Force’s (Forward) First Iraqi Army Division Military Transition Team. The native of Yakima, Wash., who is an armorer by trade, exemplified the phrase, “every Marine is a rifleman,” when led a joint Iraqi Army and coalition patrol for nearly 15 kilometers through hostile territory, March 23.

Ivy’s mission was imperative during the operation. He was to conduct a combat resupply to the gates of Basra, Iraq, after days of intense fighting.

“When I pulled up, it was a typical convoy,” Ivy explained. “I had a better part of 15-20 vehicles behind me.”

Ivy was responsible for leading the convoy of coalition and Iraqi Army vehicles to the gates while under persistent sniper, small arms and mortar fire. At the gates awaited the First Iraqi Army Brigade, the MTT team and members of 1st Air Naval Gunfire Liaison Company, who were all low on essential supplies such as food, water and ammunition.

He integrated both the convoy’s troops and vehicles into the defense of the gates after making sure that all the supplies were delivered to the battle-worn Marines and Iraqi soldiers. What was supposed to be a drop-and-go mission turned into roughly a month-long push into Basra. Throughout the rest of the day, under constant enemy fire, he continued to direct his Marines in support of the defense of the Iraqi Army’s Basra command post.

“The brigade wasn’t moving forward, but we didn’t let them go back,” Ivy said. “When we got to the Basra gates, we had our routine down. Everybody clicked. Everybody did their job.”

During a later mortar attack, while still braving direct and indirect enemy fire, he conducted the ground medical evacuation of two injured personnel.

Ivy describes his actions as just doing what he, as a Marine, needed to do. He said he stands by his actions because they were not only fighting to survive, but they were also fighting to keep the Iraqis in the fight.

This is the kind of situation that every Marine is trained for from the time they leave boot camp, and it’s one that all Marines should remain prepared for.

Ivy has this advice for young Marines like his son, Pfc. Charles Ivy, who is currently serving in Iraq’s Al Anbar Province.

“This is what I tell my son … keep your head on a swivel,” Ivy explained. “When you’re out there you need to have a heightened sense of awareness.

“Not only do you have to watch out for your fellow Marines, but you have to watch out for the Iraqis,” Ivy added. “You can tell which people have negative feelings for you.”

Ivy was presented the Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal with a combat distinguishing device for his “zealous initiative, courageous actions and exceptional dedication to duty,” Oct. 17, by the 2nd MLG commanding general, Brig. Gen. Juan G. Ayala.

Ayala, who was an advisor in the First Iraqi Army Division the year prior to Ivy’s actions, is proud of his achievements and sees him as a model for all Marines to follow.

“It was an honor and privilege for me to get to do this,” Ayala said, speaking of the ceremony. “He epitomizes (the phrase), ‘every Marine a rifleman.’”