PDA

View Full Version : Shipping out soon.

carpe noctum
10-23-08, 08:03 PM
I'm shipping out for MCRDSD on November 17th. Coming up fast.

In terms of physical ability, I'm underweight and not as fit as I need (getting there, though), but I do have the motivation that a poolee needs. I recently attended the Twin Cities RS mini boot camp in northern Minnesota last weekend. Four DI's, dozens of Marine recruiters and an equal amount of Privates, PFC's and Lance Corporals fresh out of recruit training.

I'm not going to get into details with what went on, because I'm sure most of the people here attended a mini boot camp, or at least have heard of it. My question is this: Should I wait til boot camp to help out the other recruits with what I already know (from small stuff to marching to the more important things like sounding off until the vein on the back of your head pounds), or should I get everyone's attention on the bus right before we arrive?

I don't want to get stuck with a platoon who didn't attend a mini boot camp (maybe not all the RS's do this) when I could inform them of my early taste of the drill instructors.

mjs2000us
10-23-08, 08:16 PM
Definitely! Spread your knowledge. That's why we have a poolee hall. LOL I know we would really appreciate any tips you have. I work 5-6 days a week...so I haven't been able to attend a mini bootcamp. I wouldn't mind attending...just have life "constraints". I do go to the monthly pool functions and the weekly pt. But any info is great.

polizei
10-23-08, 08:18 PM
I'm interested...I've done a year of JROTC (Navy, but ran by an MC MSgt), but have never been to a mini boot.

srinaldo86
10-23-08, 08:28 PM
There is a fine line between informative and arrogant/cocky/annoying, please don't cross it.
I think it would be a good idea for you to help fellow poolees, however when it comes time to get off that bus...
I would suggest if someone needs/wants help, then help them. Other than that keep your mouth shut and do what your DRILL INSTRUCTOR(S) tell you to do.

Granted this is just my opinion which ranks nothing yet.

Also, Fill out your profile and read this. (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29048)

carpe noctum
10-23-08, 08:42 PM
Well, considering that it's stuff we will learn at recruit training (marching steps, etc.) it's hard to describe it online. I was thinking that when I go to MEPS, I'll just look for the other poolees and go from there.

But from what I saw over the weekend with the drill instructors (they flew in four; two from San Diego and two from Parris Island), that when a human yells loud enough, a little vein in the back of their head will start to pound. I figured out that when you're sounding off, if you CAN'T feel it, then you're not loud enough.

Losing your voice is mandatory. But it heals overnight. Not 100%, but it heals. Simply scream, and encourage everyone near you to sound off like they've got a pair. One of the DI's was ITing me this weekend, and after every pushup I had to scream "Discipline through pain." I thought I was screaming loud enough each time, but he wouldn't let me leave to re-join my group until my head ached from screaming. So keep that in mind when you're being IT'd.

One of the PFC's there told me that around second phase, the DI's go a little bit easier on you, because they need you to qualify for certain things like the firing range, but once third phase comes back, they go back full force on you. Third phase is when we get our names on our uniforms, too. So that will be something to look forward to.

From now on, a deck = floor. Bulkhead = wall. Door = hatch. Window = porthole. Or so one of the Staff Sergeants told me over the weekend.

For marching, dig your heel into the deck each time. When they say, "Left, left, left right left," they really mean it. Each time they say left or right, that foot should hit the deck. If you get messed up, quicken or slow your steps until you're back on track. When you're all doing it right, you should only hear one boot hitting the deck, not a bunch of feet. Keep your formation tight.

You will be told to "Allign to the right" and "Cover down" a lot. Allign to the right means keep yourself alligned with the recruit to the right of you. Covering down means keeping either an elbow's length or a full arm's length (they will tell you which one) from the person next to you and such. The DI says "Ears" and you will cry "Open, sir!" When they say "Eyeballs" you cry, "Clicked, sir!" and turn your head to look at them. Don't look them in the eye, just look at them.

When you're doing ANYTHING, and a DI comes up to you and gets in your face, take it seriously. They're not yelling because they're mad, they're correcting you. No matter what, do not take it personally. I've heard stories of recruits taking things the DI says like a little ***** and getting upset over it. They are helping you to be the Marine you need to be.

When you're writing home, be careful what you say to your mother. My recruiter told me a story about one of the recruits wrote to his mom saying he felt like hanging himself. He didn't say he was going to, but that he felt like it. The mother overreacted, called the recruiter, and the recruiter was then mandated to call San Diego. One week later, the recruit was home, kicked out for being mentally unstable.

When one of your fellow recruits breaks a rule, you need to report it. You're not ratting him out, you're following one of your General Orders. You need to report ALL integrity violations. The PFC there told me he and a couple recruits found a nearly full tin of chewing tobacco at recruit training, saved it, and spent a Sunday morning dipping. If they were caught, they all would have been bumped back to week one.

Wyoming
10-23-08, 09:01 PM
There is a fine line between informative and arrogant/cocky/annoying, please don't cross it.
I think it would be a good idea for you to help fellow poolees, however when it comes time to get off that bus...
I would suggest if someone needs/wants help, then help them. Other than that keep your mouth shut and do what your DRILL INSTRUCTOR(S) tell you to do.

Also, Fill out your profile and read this. (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29048)

EXCELLENT advice, ALL of it!!!:thumbup:

carpe noctum
10-23-08, 09:23 PM

Also, Fill out your profile and read this. (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29048)What more do I need to fill out for my profile yet?

srinaldo86
10-23-08, 09:38 PM
EXCELLENT advice, ALL of it!!!:thumbup:
Thank you Cpl. Now I just need to continue following my own advice.

srinaldo86
10-23-08, 09:40 PM
What more do I need to fill out for my profile yet?

Compare your profile to the other poolees profile's on this website.

Rule Four make sure that you have a completed profile less than that is unsat and will get you banned for a period up to and including permanently!

Wyoming
10-23-08, 09:40 PM
What more do I need to fill out for my profile yet?

I would say that Rule Four (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29048) would answer your question quite well.

... and the picture you have posted on your so-called profile, is it supposed to be humorous?

Wyoming
10-23-08, 09:43 PM
Thank you Cpl. Now I just need to continue following my own advice.

You just went up 2 notches.:thumbup:

Still a lowlife wannabee-poolee, but not near as low as you were. :D

carpe noctum
10-23-08, 09:46 PM
I would say that Rule Four (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29048) would answer your question quite well.

... and the picture you have posted on your so-called profile, is it supposed to be humorous?
Yeah, it is. I don't have any pictures available at my disposal that aren't group photos.

Brb, comparing profiles to other poolees.

carpe noctum
10-23-08, 09:53 PM

There, I just updated it. What more should I do?

RYDERKUR
10-23-08, 09:59 PM
Poolees....if you want to take advice from your own listen to Rinaldo. He does not have to type out long posts, nor boast his knowledge, or "I'm going to show the Marines on this site I'm a leader" attitude. No, he is quiet, reserved, mature, and has his **** together and this in of itself sets him apart. Poolees, strive to be like him because I can almost guarantee you that he will be a less than 4 year Sergeant of Marines. Keep up the good work Rinaldo and good luck on Monday. Just a young LCpl's view but take it as you will.

Wyoming
10-23-08, 10:06 PM
There, I just updated it. What more should I do?

Uh, maybe read the rest of the rules. (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29048)

carpe noctum
10-23-08, 10:13 PM
Uh, maybe read the rest of the rules. (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29048)I did. Kindly point out any rules I have violated, sir.

Wyoming
10-23-08, 10:22 PM
I did. Kindly point out any rules I have violated, sir.

Since you have read the rules, and hopefully understand them, welcome and have a good stay.

Good profile, BTW.

Cjcruzi3
10-24-08, 12:16 AM
I am as well shipping out the 17th. Good Luck!

carpe noctum
10-24-08, 12:18 AM
I am as well shipping out the 17th. Good Luck!
Sand Diego or Parris Island?

Cjcruzi3
10-24-08, 12:20 AM
Parris Island

carpe noctum
10-24-08, 01:05 AM
Ah, shi*tty. What's the term for a PI Marine? I know I'm going to be a Hollywood Marine.

davblay
10-24-08, 07:43 AM
You know everyone likes a little azz.....but no one like a smart azz! That is what you'd come across as if you try to take charge of a bunch of poolee/recruits before you get to MCRD! <br />
<br />
My advise...

sparkie
10-24-08, 07:56 AM
Ah, shi*tty. What's the term for a PI Marine? I know I'm going to be a Hollywood Marine.

Real Marine:evilgrin:

OB MSG
10-24-08, 08:56 AM
My advise to you is to keep your trap shut on the bus. When you come off the plane a Cpl or Lcpl will be there to get you, from there just follow instructions to the letter.

After you get to PI, just move as fast as you can and sound off when told to. You will show your leadership skills by helping other recruits after you have picked up your DIs.

As for knowledge, yeah, when you have some down-time in the squadbay you and the other recruits can go over knowledge and help those that are stuggling.

All-in-all, don't be the guy that comes off cocky. I had a recruit in my platoon who told everyone to not even think about getting Honor Grad, because that was going to be him. We dropped him to PCP about 2 weeks later.

That goes for all of you Poolees and wannabes!

MarinesFTW
10-24-08, 04:03 PM
Poolees....if you want to take advice from your own listen to Rinaldo. He does not have to type out long posts, nor boast his knowledge, or "I'm going to show the Marines on this site I'm a leader" attitude. No, he is quiet, reserved, mature, and has his **** together and this in of itself sets him apart. Poolees, strive to be like him because I can almost guarantee you that he will be a less than 4 year Sergeant of Marines. Keep up the good work Rinaldo and good luck on Monday. Just a young LCpl's view but take it as you will.

AYE AYE, SIR!

SGT7477
10-24-08, 09:06 PM
I'm shipping out for MCRDSD on November 17th. Coming up fast.

In terms of physical ability, I'm underweight and not as fit as I need (getting there, though), but I do have the motivation that a poolee needs. I recently attended the Twin Cities RS mini boot camp in northern Minnesota last weekend. Four DI's, dozens of Marine recruiters and an equal amount of Privates, PFC's and Lance Corporals fresh out of recruit training.

I'm not going to get into details with what went on, because I'm sure most of the people here attended a mini boot camp, or at least have heard of it. My question is this: Should I wait til boot camp to help out the other recruits with what I already know (from small stuff to marching to the more important things like sounding off until the vein on the back of your head pounds), or should I get everyone's attention on the bus right before we arrive?

I don't want to get stuck with a platoon who didn't attend a mini boot camp (maybe not all the RS's do this) when I could inform them of my early taste of the drill instructors.

Don't bank on the DI's being the same.:evilgrin::