PDA

View Full Version : Job Choices

dizark
10-23-08, 06:26 PM
I wasn't able to find a direct answer to this question and have yet had the chance to reach my recruiter in regards to it since I returned late from MEPS.

I'm told by both the Gunnery Sgt at my recruiting command, and the SSgt liason at MEPS that I must pick 3 MOS assignments, and the Marine Corps will put me in one that they need.

My question in regards to this is, am I putting the 3 jobs in order of favorite, like 1 being my first pick, etc?

As of now I'm really interested in 02xx (primarily 0231 but know that the billet is not assigned until MCT), possible MP, and something else. I'm kind of shying away from the MP idea at this time and will look to find 2 other jobs to fill the slot, but I really, after doing extensive research and getting answers from 0231Marine on here, I'd like to go 02xx in aspirations of getting 0231.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

YutYut
10-23-08, 07:21 PM
In my experience, anytime the Marine Corps asks you to list three choices they want them in priority order.

dizark
10-23-08, 07:22 PM
Figured as much but wanted clarity on the issue. Thank you Sgt.

JordanB
10-24-08, 11:09 AM
Dont listen to your recruiter, if you are going active duty then you can get a guarenteed mos field (i.e. infantry, intell, ect) but not an exact mos. Once you graduate bootcamp you will get to make a "wish list" within this field and get assigned a job, but dont pick 3 random ass mos's on your contract man you're recruiter is obviously trying to fill job spots. And remember that if you sign up as a reservist you can get a guarenteed job within any field.

My advice: search the job fields that most intrest you ONLINE and then go into your recruiter telling him what you want, because belive me the Corps is going to do what the hell they want with you through out your career, the only time you get the slightest say in it is when you enlist and if you re-enlist, so if he trys to pull the old "were out of that job contract right now" or "pick 3 job fields" respectfully tell him you're not signing a binding contract with the government until you get the one you want and you will be amazed how quickly your desired contract opens up.

dizark
10-24-08, 11:14 AM
Well, it not only came from the Gunnery Sgt at my recruiting station, but also from the SSgt who is one of the liason's at MEPS. I'd like Intel, but also have no problem picking two other jobs that interest me, because I'd be certain to get one.

I'll talk it over with my recruiter and Gunnery Sgt soon and see what will be what.

YutYut
10-24-08, 11:36 AM
What JordanB is telling you is, if you want intel then tell your recruiter you won't sign a contract until you get an intel slot ON CONTRACT. It's going to be the next four years of YOUR life. Not his/hers.

dizark
10-24-08, 11:42 AM
Do you sign this contract at the recruiting station when you pick the mos field?

All the forms Ive seen over the past few days say at MEPS you sign open, but each person going over that said you'll pick the job at the recruiting station if it's available, which is the same story I heard from new recruits who went through with it.

oh btw, Gunnery Sgt isnt saying here's a list, pick from it. He just told me to pick 3 MOS's that interest me, so I'm not being forced to pick from slim pickings.

YutYut
10-24-08, 12:06 PM
I told my recruiter the only way I'd go on Active Duty (vice Reserves...long story) was if I went to boot camp with a DATA MOS. While at MEPS going through my physical and signed what seemed to be every piece of paper under the sun, I also signed a sheet assigning me to the field 40xx. That was during my first MEPs visit, but you can change that any time prior to swearing in the second time.