PDA

View Full Version : iron on ribbons & medals?

itzs4m
10-23-08, 04:02 PM
One of my Cpl at my unit has iron on ribbons and medals on his dress blues. I forget where he got them from, but I remember he said there's a store in Japan that manufactures them. They're perfectly flat and straight not like the pin on ones. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or have heard of them?

Quinbo
10-23-08, 04:13 PM
Perhaps you are thinking of the ribbons from thinribbons.com You can get versions that do not have pins but a magnet to hold them in place.

thewookie
10-23-08, 04:16 PM
One of my Cpl at my unit has iron on ribbons and medals on his dress blues. I forget where he got them from, but I remember he said there's a store in Japan that manufactures them. They're perfectly flat and straight not like the pin on ones. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or have heard of them?

Wu - you have one ribbon, and one badge, what is the problem?

To answer your question - I've seen that stuff before I got out, not the "iron" on ribbons and badges like you describe, but real super thin magnetic ribbons/mounts - I personally think it looks like junkola. But that's me, good luck, Wu.

Haffner
10-23-08, 10:49 PM
Why would you want iron on ****?

Just imagine. You set them in place PERFECTLY...then you drag the iron across them and they're off center and off line. What now? Does your blouse now have a nasty sticky residue on it? Are the medals/ribbons able to be pealed off and used again and be guaranteed to not fall off?

Too many ifs and conditionals in that. Do it the Marine way - frogs and pins. Semper Fi.

Pete0331
10-24-08, 12:45 AM
Why would you want iron on ****?

Just imagine. You set them in place PERFECTLY...then you drag the iron across them and they're off center and off line. What now? Does your blouse now have a nasty sticky residue on it? Are the medals/ribbons able to be pealed off and used again and be guaranteed to not fall off?

Too many ifs and conditionals in that. Do it the Marine way - frogs and pins. Semper Fi.

What happens when you come back from deployment?
Everytime you recieve an award you have to buy all new uniform tops. :scared:

This is the first time I have seen the magnetic ribbons.
The normal ribbons look much more professional.

sparkie
10-24-08, 07:07 AM
This thread suprised me, I really thought uniform regs would be tight. Strange to me to allow variations. Things change I guess. To me, it's like wearing a whiteboard and coloring them in. Is there uniformity in uniforms?

GySgtRet
10-24-08, 07:16 AM
But this is a stupid question something along the lines as Marines would get together at a bar and ask I wonder if I could get iron on ribbons. I never found it difficult to place ribbons on the ribbon bar to begin with. There would be no need to iron these on your uniform, the only wa to be squared away is to place them on a ribbon bar. What do you think this is the chair force or somthing?

Gunny out
:usmc:
Semper Fi Happy 233rd Birthday to my Marine Corps and all Marines and Corpsmen

sparkie
10-24-08, 07:32 AM
Gunny, It might be a good idea,,,magnetic. You could keep notes, like I do on my fridge.

GySgtRet
10-24-08, 07:34 AM
That is a damn good AF idea.

LOL

Sgt Leprechaun
10-27-08, 07:10 AM
LOL. Magnetic and 'thin' ribbons have been around for years. They are legal for wear, but also rather expensive when it comes to putting together a larger 'rack'.

Sew on ribbon bars were common right after WWII, as were ribbons coated with plastic. Neither ever caught on with Marines, tho.

sparkie
10-27-08, 07:10 PM
I sewed my bars, but couldn't be seen. Iron on,,,,,Really?