View Full Version : 'It's 25 years later, and it's still no easier'

thedrifter
10-23-08, 05:27 AM
'It's 25 years later, and it's still no easier'
Comments 0 | Recommend 1
Families mourn loved ones lost in Beirut bombing
October 22, 2008 - 8:08PM
JENNIFER HLAD

Sgt. Kevin Coulman's family was getting ready for church the morning of Oct. 23, 1983, when they heard about the bombing at the Battalion Landing Team 1st Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment headquarters in Beirut, Lebanon.

Lorraine Coulman said she initially didn't associate the news with her son. But another woman at church was upset. And Bryan Coulman, one of Kevin's four brothers, just knew.

The first time the Marines came to the Coulman home, they were wearing green uniforms. They told them Kevin was missing. The second time, they were wearing dress blues.

Coulman was among the 241 Marines, sailors and soldiers who died in the suicide attack on the 1/8 headquarters building.

"It's 25 years later, and it's still no easier," said Kevin's brother, Christopher Coulman.

Mary Ellen Jackowski and her family were at their vacation home in upstate New York that October morning. "When the clock radio went on and the news announcer said there was a bombing in Beirut at the headquarters building, I knew immediately that it was Jamie's building," Jackowski wrote in a letter to The Daily News, referring to her son, Cpl. James Jackowski.

The family went home immediately, since that was the emergency number and address in Jackowski's file. When they arrived home, a letter was waiting from their son.

"He told us that he was going to leave on Oct. 22, so we both had a glimmer of hope that maybe he left before the bombing," Mary Ellen Jackowski wrote. But they soon learned their son's leave had been bumped.

The Jackowski family also had two visits from the Marines. The first time, they told the family that Cpl. Jackowski was missing. The second time, "they told us that Jamie was officially identified and that he died in the terrorist attack," Mary Ellen Jackowski said. "My only memory was that I asked them if there could be any mistake. I wanted to know if they were absolutely sure."

Sarah Wherland was only a year old when her father, Cpl. Burt Wherland, was killed in the blast. Her mother didn't tell her much about her father when she was growing up, but she is trying to gather as much information as she can now.

She does have some letters he wrote from Beirut - a peek into his personality and sense of humor - and his burial flag. It was unfolded long ago, but will be formally refolded today after the 10:30 a.m. remembrance ceremony at the Beirut Memorial.

"For so long, he's just been disregarded, like he didn't exist," Sarah Wherland said. "He's already been disrespected so much; I thought bringing it here and having it refolded, with the right amount of respect (is important)."

The Coulman family - like the hundreds of others who lost a loved one that day - can never forget Oct. 23, 1983. But they wish others were more aware of the tragedy that took the man Rob Coulman said was "more like my dad than my brother."

"If you needed a person to look up to, that was him," Christopher Coulman said.

"He was always teaching us right from wrong, good from bad," Rob said, overcome with emotion. "They took the wrong people. They took a lot of good people."

Contact interactive content editor and military reporter Jennifer Hlad at jhlad@freedomenc.com or 910-219-8467.

Ellie