PDA

View Full Version : Random thought/question

cocruxified
10-23-08, 01:15 AM
Hello Marines and fellow Poolees. This is just a random thought/question that came to me the other night in reference to the movie "Jarhead." I'm sure a lot of you have seen it but for those who haven't I'll explain the scene a little.

There's a scene where Swofford and the other scout/sniper guys are training by low crawling through the mud under the barb wire while live fire is being shot over them. One of the guys is scared out his pants and wants to get up whilst everyone is telling him to stay the hell down. Well he eventually gets up and that's pretty much the end of his Marine career.

Basically my question is what most of you have already deduced. Has something like this ever happened? Do they even use live fire in certain trainings? I only ask out of pure curiosity. I just wanna know. Thanks all.

BR34
10-23-08, 06:33 AM
They use live fire, it's not aimed in the direction that anyone is training in, and they fire in some kind of structure (I have bad site and it was JUST THAT FAR AWAY that I couldn't tell exactly what it was).

There's nothing to worry about, boot camp seems to be ran by OSHA. The Marine Corps (in training/garrison/etc) is the safest job I've ever had.

0231Marine
10-23-08, 06:43 AM
The night infiltration course and the day time assault course were the only two times we experienced live fire. Like the LCPL said, it's not aimed at the recruits for the same reason that was shown in that movie. It's also the same reason they don't give recruits live ammo except on the range.

They use a lot of pyro and smoke grenades too in order to simulate land mines and cover/concealment.

amarine0311
10-23-08, 08:30 AM
Jarhead is a bogus movie. Full of ****. Please, Wollford was an asshat of a Marine in real life, nothing but a whiner and a burden to the Marine Corps as a whole.

bgsuwoody
10-23-08, 09:27 AM
Man just wait there will be plenty of opportunities to be shot at by your own guys in the fleet. You have last second shift fires on ranges, ND's and just pure accidents. It's gonna happen, but if you do your job right it shouldn't. We had a doc with a helmet cam running around with us at CAX and you would be surprised just how close rounds are hitting to you and you just dont notice, worry about the mission and everything else will fall into place

Quinbo
10-23-08, 10:18 AM
Pretty much all pneumatic machine guns fired by a computer etc. I wonder if it is on youtube.... I saw an old Army NBC training film with two goats. One was wearing a gas mask and the other wasn't. Supposedly goats are somewhat immune to nerve agent and would live longer than a person in the same environment. Anyway I digress. The goat with the gas mask on was armed with a m-2 with live rounds and actually pressed the butterfly and fired off a couple. Some weird 50's closed captioning about your gas mask will help you continue to fight. The other goat croaked from the nerve agent. Geeze I need to have my meds adjusted. Where did that BFA for the one niner eight go?

cocruxified
10-23-08, 03:22 PM
I'm not worried about anything. In fact I'd rather have it more realistic. It was just a random thought I had one night. Thanks for all the answers Marines.