PDA

View Full Version : Attention Poolees, Training Advice!

polizei
10-22-08, 09:22 PM
Hello Poolees (and possible poolees), I just wanted to give everyone a heads up...especially those who have a ship date!

I found out today that I have a stress fracture on the 5th Metatarsal in my right foot. This was caused by too much strain on my foot in too short of a period. In a nutshell, I went from basically never running (max I've ever ran was 1.5 miles 2 years ago), to being able to run 3 miles in 31 minutes within about a month. I've been working very hard (I want to sign soon), and so far it's paid off, until now! Just to give you an idea, I was running 3-4 times a week.

Now granted, I didn't jump up and start at 3 miles. I started at 0.8 miles, killing my lungs and cramping up my stomach pretty hard. I gradually pushed myself and was able to now run 1.5 miles in ~14 minutes, 3 miles in 31 minutes like I said. Even though this was a good progress, at least to me, now I'm stuck!

Right now, I have orders to not run for a month. After that month, I'm allowed to run a 1/2 mile three times a week. After that, I'm allowed to gradually increase 1/4 mile at a time each week. Now, if you do the math, this equates to me loosing time where I could be running hardcore. So, if anything, let my failures be your success. If any of you are new at running (I have no athletic/sport background), I HIGHLY recommend doing what my doctor told me, as you'll help build your bones. Also, you need to drink milk and get calcium into your body!

BTW: I would suspect this is even more oriented towards larger fellows, though I could be wrong. I'm 5'4", 110lbs, so I wasn't putting a lot of weight on my foot (like a 200lb person would).

Good luck and take it slow!

Pete0331
10-22-08, 09:56 PM
In addition to the above:

Propper foot care is something Poolee's need to take seriously.

What kind of insoles are you using?
What kind of shoes? Running? Cross-training? Or (God forbid) basketball shoes?

Shoes need to be replaced every 6-8 months, and only used for training/PT.
The soles get compressed over time and loose their ability to absorb the shock of running.

Pulling out a pair of basketball shoes that you have had for 3 years and expecting them to not hurt your feet is wrong.

Wear socks.

Drinking excesive amounts of milk is a bad idea. One or two glasses a day, max.
If you drink soda or anything with Phosphates (Phosphoric Acid) it will weaken your bones, STOP! It can also lead to Osteoporosis later in life.

DRINK WATER! Purified/Tap water, not distiled water.

For those that have problems with shin splints, knee joints, etc. take advantage of the pool. It is less strenuous on the joints and gives you a more comprehensive workout.
But don't let the pool take over your running schedule if you can help it.

polizei
10-22-08, 10:23 PM
Thank you for adding that information Pete, those are very good points as well! In addition to the pool comment, it will also help you in the swimming qual (duh) and will help strengthen your upper body, allowing you to possibly increase your push ups and pull ups.

Pete0331
10-22-08, 10:42 PM
Thank you for adding that information Pete, those are very good points as well! In addition to the pool comment, it will also help you in the swimming qual (duh) and will help strengthen your upper body, allowing you to possibly increase your push ups and pull ups.

Reminder: swimming shouldn't supplement your running, only augment it.

polizei
10-23-08, 11:09 AM
Thanks Cpl, that is exactly correct. I should start swimming here soon...I hope I'll pass swim qualification. I'm not a bad swimmer, I just don't care for it (though I'll do it). I think swimming will definitely benefit me, especially since I'm out of running for a while!

mjs2000us
10-23-08, 12:06 PM
A fellow poolee of mine broke her leg while she was running and it started with a stress fracture. She was at boot when it happened and has now been out for a year and will be going back to bootcamp in December. She suggested calcium supplements before going as well as proper footcare and stretching.

polizei
10-23-08, 02:05 PM
Yes I was thinking to myself...what if this had happened during boot? My foot hurts (like a stabbing pain) when I walk up/down stairs and when I run. Obviously the more activity, the more pain. I would assume I would probably be sent home, which would suck!

If nothing else, I'm using this as a sign, and all poolees/wannabes should take note...get calcium and build your bones before you go! I cannot imagine going to boot and being in for "x" amount of time, just to be sent home a non-Marine and have to go back later. No thanks, not for me!

Rains
10-23-08, 02:51 PM
I hope I don't get an injury, right now I can barely run 3 miles without passing out, I can run a mile and a half in 9:30 though. The one problem I have is that I can't seem to breath properly, about half a mile into the running I get a corse feeling in my chest and I get sort of lightheaded.
I get side cramps too.
Do you know of any way to avoid these? Or are is it just normal?

polizei
10-23-08, 04:27 PM
They definitely are normal, especially if you are not used to running. As for the breathing, you need to slow down your run and pace yourself. Take BIG deep breaths, hold it for about 1-2 seconds and release. Big breaths = more oxygen getting into your body, which will also help for the cramps.

The only way to get better at running....is to run! Take it slow though or you'll end up with me. :( If running three miles kills you, aim for a mile.

My program is setup like this:

Monday - Run
Tuesday - Run
Wednesday - Off
Thursday - Run
Friday - Run
Saturday - Off
Sunday - Off

My running various, as I started at only being able to run 0.8 miles, but I built it up. Once you get to running three miles 3-4 times a week, you can increase your speed. Alter days and do some sprinting and swimming. I also weight lift, which I would recommend you do as well. If you've never lifted weights before, you need to get someone to show you how to or you run the risk of injuring yourself (possibly very badly). Ask someone around the gym that's lifting and ask if they can show you how.

Generally, it's better to start off slow, and know what type of lifting you want to do.

Pyramid Lifting: Pyramid lifting is when you increase weight while decreasing reps.

Ex:
50 lbs, lift 10 times
70lbs, lift 5 times
90lbs, lift 3 times
110lbs, lift 1 time

This is one set, a set is a serious of reps that equal one "workout." You should be doing 1-3 sets.

Doing this builds muscle bulk and strength. Another form of lifting is endurance lifting. This is when you do low weight with a lot of reps.

Ex:

50lbs, lift 20 times
After each set, take a break and do a total of 1-3 sets.

Hope this helps, if I got anything incorrect, please feel free to comment or fix it!

Jyates383
10-23-08, 05:53 PM
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
This is a good website to get you started.

Rains
10-23-08, 06:19 PM
Polizei- Thanks for that info, I was sort of worryed that I had somethin wrong with me, and wouldnt be able to get in.
I do have experiance with weightlifting, but have not done it much in the past few months, I do alot of crunches, push-ups, and pull-ups though.
I'll buy some weights (I only have a 50 lb. EZ curl Bar) and do more of that.

-Thanks

polizei
10-23-08, 08:09 PM
Omg I forgot the biggest thing...and reading that article reminded me.

WALK at a brisk pace for 5 minutes or .2 miles. THEN stretch (I do each limb/stretch for 20sec). And then you should be good to go. At the end of your workout, walk a brisk pace for another 5 minutes or .2 miles. After that, stretch again for 20sec at a time. This is VERY important to reduce the likeliness of injury.

And your welcome Rains, anymore questions feel free to ask. If any Marines would like to chime in, be my guest!

Seyborg
10-23-08, 08:26 PM
As far as the light headed thing...

Slow down champ. You're running that 1.5 in sprint mode, in a way of speaking. Run a 1030 pace...and keep goin'

Or pass out.

Your body will adjust. 8 miles every other day here. 3 miler: 20:12

CplGiraffe
10-23-08, 09:52 PM
To help with side cramps you need to breath correctly. When you are speaking, you should use your "stomach" voice. When you are running, you should not extend your stomach out and breath in only with your chest.

releana
10-25-08, 05:30 AM
I've actually heard the opposite about breathing (that you should breathe at your stomach), though I guess that goes for many things.

A good rule of thumb at which amount to increase your weekly limit is to increase it no more than 10% to insure your body has enough time to re-coupe.

Also, I often hear that you should really try to run every other day and give your legs a day rest. Your joints will really thank you. Injuries in running are most often joint related. The more you run, the more worn and tired your muscles are that protect the joints. Obviously, it's fine to cross train on your days off (swimming, biking, even trail running is softer on your joints).

Also, try keeping yourself hydrated throughout the day before the run. Diet can really effect your performance too. If you haven't eaten in 5 hours, man it makes it a lot tougher to conjure up energy. If you forgot a meal or something, try eating a slice of bread with peanut butter. It's a small enough portion where it shouldn't hurt your stomach while running, but will give you a little boost. Always worked great for me.

I know I'm just a nobody, but I started running for the Marines. It's kept me motivated. I'm now able to run 12 miles a week with 5-6 miles as my long run.

I usually run three times a week. One being a long run (steady, and regular pace with longest distance), then a tempo run (race pace for a shorter distance of usually 3 miles), and an easy run (calm, relaxed run sometimes on trails to finish up my weekly goal. 2-3 miles usually)

www.runnersworld.com (http://www.runnersworld.com) is an excellent source for running information.

polizei
10-25-08, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the extra advice! As for me, I'm taking two Calcium supplement pills a day, and 3-4 servings of milk. I should be back before I know it! This has actually motivated me more! :banana:

polizei
10-31-08, 02:38 PM
Extra motivation for you poolees out there!

From the book "From Baghdad, With Love" by Lieutenant Colonel Jay Kopelman.

"Am I insane? I am a lieutenant colonel in the United States Marine Corps. I am an officer in a brotherhood that always goes in first, and that pretty much sums it up right there. We're brace to the point of insanity, so being a Marine takes a certain kind of mind-set to begin with. Which means you don't always follow orders. The common belief is that you go in a boy and come out a man, like they have this magical ability to change who you are, but the truth of the matter is, we were insane going in and insane coming out, only now we sing this anthem and know cool martial arts. Insane isn't the right word exactly. None of us really believes Marines guard the streets of Heaven, but how sane is it to want]/i] to go in first? I can sit aside from this and in a cool, calculated, scientific manner look at it for what it is: not insanity, but a primative gene that requires some of us to be the fittest and the bravest and the best-est there is, and then the public relations brass throws in the word [i]proudest so we don't feel like cavemen on caffeine. It's not because we didn't belong or didn't like team sports, and it's not becuase we couldn't afford college or were manipulated by recruiters or dumped by some chick and then had to prove a point. Those guys join the army. We didn't have rotten childhoods, we didn't hate math, we didn't bully skinny kids on the playground and didn't start fires in the garage. And it's not like we joined up without thinking about it, or like once we got in they didn't give us time to think about it. Beleive me, sleep deprivation, food rationing, and sit-ups make you think a whole hell of a lot about it. We weren't coerced. We weren't brainwashed. Our souls weren't plundered. We just can't help it. We aren't cut out for anything else. We were Marines going in and Marines coming out. We don't want to take orders. And you want to know something? I don't care anymore. I used to, when I first joined up. I worried about my parents' objections, my college buddies' sneers, being called a "jarhead" for the rest of my adult life. But hell if I could help it. The minute I signed on the dotted line, I had this sort of out-of-body party that hasn't been matched since. Oo-rah. Listening to these guys snore around me, I really like what I am-a Marine. I like being strong. I like being brave. I like going in first. I want to go in first, and I'll be damned if I'm going to let anyone shoot my puppy."

Get some!

GunzNutz87
10-31-08, 11:07 PM
Love the motiviation, thanks Polizei.

Pete0331
11-01-08, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the extra advice! As for me, I'm taking two Calcium supplement pills a day, and 3-4 servings of milk. I should be back before I know it! This has actually motivated me more! :banana:

You may be taking to much calcium.
If you flood your system with anything, including water, it can have adverse
affects on your body.
You will most likely have better results with only the servings of milk and removing the supplements from your diet.

Drink water.

polizei
11-01-08, 07:31 AM
Thanks Pete. I stopped taking that much calcium a while ago, as like you said, I know I was overloading my body. Currently right now I'm just taking two calcium pills (1200mg) a day with an occasional glass of milk (not daily). I also have always drank a lot of water, so that was never a problem. I actually believe I am addicted to water, I'm glad it's a healthy addiction. :D

Thanks for the info Marine, and Gunz no problem, that's why I posted it!

-Cody

TJKUSMC
11-01-08, 02:24 PM
Running a 3 mile at 31 mins? Are you pushing yourself polizei? We had diet recruits who had never ran in there life still finishing the 3 in 28 mins. I'm sorry to call you out, but you need to work a bit harder to get that run time down.

polizei
11-01-08, 05:42 PM
TJ, no hard feeling taken. From the time I got my injury, I was only running for 3-3.5 weeks. I went from being able to run 0.8 miles with burning lungs and severe cramps to being able to run 3 miles in 31 minutes, in just three weeks. And just to clarify, yes I was pushing myself. I felt like throwing up, had nausea, cramps, and felt light headed after my runs (yes I drink water and eat).

To me, I think that's pretty impressive, but alas maybe not to some. Running has always been my weak point, especially after I had an ATV accident in 03' which almost killed me. I suffered two punctured lungs, a fractured scapula, and a fractured sternum. It took me about a month and a half to being able to breathe regularly again. I had to rebuild my lungs slowly, and from that day my lung capacity has decreased and my breathing hasn't been the best.

Now, by now means am I using this as an excuse, I'm just stating my past history and why it might be harder for me to run than someone else. I'll be back to running in about 2.5 weeks where I'll definitely keep my running up. Don't worry, I still have another 5-6-7 months if/before/when I ship (I haven't even signed yet), so I have some time to improve! I'm only 5'4", 110lbs so I'm a lightweight! Should be easier for me to run...hrmmm, oh well, more motivation and hardwork won't be an issue!

Edit* Some people are good at running, some are not. That just means I have to work harder on my running, no big deal! Some people can only do one or not even one pull-up....I can do ten no sweat (with or without working out).

TJKUSMC
11-01-08, 06:59 PM
Keep working hard. By no means am I trying to give you a hard time. It sounds like you had some pretty horrific injuries in your crash. Hopefully those won't affect you in boot camp...because it could affect you on becoming a Marine.

polizei
11-01-08, 07:22 PM
I hope it doesn't either. I talked to my recruiter about it and he doesn't think anything of it... I don't feel any pain or anything abnormal, and I can breathe normal and fine now, and even when I run it's normal, I just have to build my capacity by learning to control my breathing, which is another thing I'm working on as well. As far as my bones, they were fractured, but there wasn't anything the doctors could do as far as "fixing" them via surgery. They told me they would heal on their own. It's been five years now, so I don't think I'll have any issues.

Honestly, the biggest thing I'm worried about in boot is getting my blood taken and shots...I'm a needle phob, lol. I know I'll learn everything I need to learn and I'm sure by the time I'm ready to go, my PT will be on-par.

TJKUSMC
11-01-08, 07:28 PM
Good to go. The blood tests and shots are not that bad. To be honest it's the least of your worries haha. If your injuries don't bother you then you should be ok. Just a warning to you...If they do start to bother you while at boot camp..get it checked out at medical right away. Just some advice from a guy who graduated boot camp a week ago and saw a lot of kids ignore injuries then get recycled back 3-8 weeks.

polizei
11-01-08, 07:46 PM
Good advice, thanks Marine! I will definitely remember that, though I hope I don't get any injuries! I would hate to go down there and not return a Marine, that would kill me!

Any more advice you might have is always welcome here....you've been through it so you know it! I'm here to listen and take notes!

Brando
11-01-08, 09:06 PM
Hey man do you run on a treadmill or outside?

polizei
11-02-08, 09:26 AM
Right now I'm just on a treadmill. I know it's completely different, but I have to drive somewhere to run, and that isn't always possible. I don't have access to a track or recreation center and I live on a busy street, so I have to go down the street to a sub-division to run. I'll be running outside more once my "injury" heals and I'm actually able to run again.

bcsmith2
11-02-08, 04:38 PM
I hope I don't get an injury, right now I can barely run 3 miles without passing out, I can run a mile and a half in 9:30 though. The one problem I have is that I can't seem to breath properly, about half a mile into the running I get a corse feeling in my chest and I get sort of lightheaded.
I get side cramps too.
Do you know of any way to avoid these? Or are is it just normal?

When you stretch prior to running be sure to take long deep breaths. I usually go for about 5 breaths for each stretch. This also gives you a good measurable way to make sure you are stretching enough before each run.

Keep in mind that running is never easy, it just gets less difficult. You have to push yourself... you are training your mind just as much as you are training your body. If you tell yourself you are tired, you will be tired. Push your mind and your body will come around. Try not to think about running while you are running, think about something that excites you or pleases you. Remember you can always go another mile... don't quit!

When I first started running I would tire quickly or cramp. So what I did was after I finished running I would walk an additional 2-3 miles at a brisk pace just to get my body used to going longer.

polizei
11-02-08, 06:34 PM
Great advice BC. What I do is stretch and like BC said, take big deep breaths. While running, when you are "done," push yourself at least another .1 mile. This will help your mind and your body. Your body can endure much more than your mind, so pushing your mind is just as important as pushing your body! Also to throw in, I'll list my "schedule:"

Walk for .2 miles or 5 minutes
Stretch everything, holding for 20 seconds
Run
Walk .2 miles or 5 minutes
Stretch everything, holding for 20 seconds

Brando
11-03-08, 07:20 PM
Yea i was asking about the treadmill, In my opinion treadmill is a little tougher then running outside because you don't get fresh air and what not, Since my work and job takes up most my day i have to run on a treadmill, I would much rather be running outside if i could.

Mingle
11-03-08, 08:40 PM
thanks for all the great info. i plan on joining the marines as soon as i get out of high school and i think this will deffinitely help me out a lot.:thumbup:

Rains
11-03-08, 09:58 PM
One more question, is it bad to run on asphalt? All I have around my place is paved road...I dont really have another choice of terrain to run on, aside from runniong in circles around a tree in my back yard. :nerd:

Pete0331
11-03-08, 11:26 PM
One more question, is it bad to run on asphalt? All I have around my place is paved road...I dont really have another choice of terrain to run on, aside from runniong in circles around a tree in my back yard. :nerd:

It's not preferred.

Have the right insoles (Superfeet), and foot wear.
Have the proper amount of calcium in your diet.
Stretch correctly, don't over work yourself, and allow adequate time for recovery.

Follow these steps and you should be alright.

bcsmith2
11-04-08, 01:25 PM

One of the main things to avoid when running on asphalt is hills. Hills tend to place much greater strain on your knees than flat ground. Combine that with the fact that asphalt is worse than dirt for your knees and you can develop runner's knee pretty fast. The trail I run every day is asphalt and I was doing too much at first and developed runner's knee.

Remember: If you ever feel even the slightest hint of pain in your knees, STOP!

Rains
11-04-08, 01:37 PM
One of the main things to avoid when running on asphalt is hills. Hills tend to place much greater strain on your knees than flat ground. Combine that with the fact that asphalt is worse than dirt for your knees and you can develop runner's knee pretty fast. The trail I run every day is asphalt and I was doing too much at first and developed runner's knee.

Remember: If you ever feel even the slightest hint of pain in your knees, STOP!

Well, we live on a mountian road neighborhood, and there are ALOT of hills on this road, I cant avoid it.
So far I havent felt any pain in my knees though.

releana
11-05-08, 08:32 AM
The old asphalt with gravel in it is much like running on concrete. Both are really rough on your knees.

I've found the newer asphalt is a lot softer, though dirt is always gonna be much easier on your joints. If my calves have been really hurting or my knees have been aching, i'll take a day or two off and start on trails.

Treadmill for me always kills my calves! I'm not sure why, I'm going to try running barefoot next time since it's a nice treadmill, but I think it's too much cushioning for me. I can run maybe 15 minutes max without my calves knotting up on treadmill. I'll do hour runs on asphalt with nothing but typical tiredness. I've got great shoes, I don't over-train legs in weight training, and I even do some hill work outside when running. Never have had problems outside.

But.. a ton of runners regularly get runner's knee. It's just one of those things that you either get used to, or start to run like you're on eggshells. This will help keeping your feet from slapping on the ground making the impact less each step.

I think I read somewhere for hills if you run like .. keeping your weight in front of you, not on your back feet. Don't hunch over, I just am referring to which foot is holding the weight. helps if you shorten your gate a little too.

polizei
11-05-08, 05:00 PM
Good advice guys! Keep it up...moto is welcomed as well if you find some and want to post it here. I talked to my recruiter today and am getting the dreaded papers soon to start the long process of becoming a US Marine. I needed some motivation, so I watched this:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c5d_1217188288 (What is a Marine?)

bcsmith2
11-05-08, 05:54 PM
The old asphalt with gravel in it is much like running on concrete. Both are really rough on your knees.

I've found the newer asphalt is a lot softer, though dirt is always gonna be much easier on your joints. If my calves have been really hurting or my knees have been aching, i'll take a day or two off and start on trails.

Treadmill for me always kills my calves! I'm not sure why, I'm going to try running barefoot next time since it's a nice treadmill, but I think it's too much cushioning for me. I can run maybe 15 minutes max without my calves knotting up on treadmill. I'll do hour runs on asphalt with nothing but typical tiredness. I've got great shoes, I don't over-train legs in weight training, and I even do some hill work outside when running. Never have had problems outside.

But.. a ton of runners regularly get runner's knee. It's just one of those things that you either get used to, or start to run like you're on eggshells. This will help keeping your feet from slapping on the ground making the impact less each step.

I think I read somewhere for hills if you run like .. keeping your weight in front of you, not on your back feet. Don't hunch over, I just am referring to which foot is holding the weight. helps if you shorten your gate a little too.

Have you tried paying attention to your stride length on the treadmill? Your stride may be too short which puts more stress on your calves.

polizei
11-05-08, 06:30 PM
Make sure you are running correctly as well. Your heel should hit the deck first, then roll your foot onto your toes. Proper technique is important to avoid injury and it helps reduce running pain in your knees and feet.

From former NAVY Seal Stew Smith, "2) Stride and Heel / Toe Contact: Open your stride to a point where you will land on your heel and roll across your foot, pushing off the ground with your toes. You can eliminate this by following the simple Audio Test. If you can hear your feet hitting the ground when you run, then you are running wrong. It should sound like your shoes are rolling on the ground quietly. Comfortable running shoes will also aid in prevention of injuries." From military . com

THAT AINT IT
11-06-08, 12:00 PM
As far as breathing goes, hold each breath for two strides. If your breathing in when your left foot hits the deck, breath out when your left foot hits the deck. left (in), right, left (out). This will help you control your breathing and keep you from getting cramps as bad.
Before you run, try to eat something high in potassium like bananas or oranges. This will help with cramps too.

SupChf
11-06-08, 12:03 PM
As far as breathing goes, hold each breath for two strides. If your breathing in when your left foot hits the deck, breath out when your left foot hits the deck. left (in), right, left (out). This will help you control your breathing and keep you from getting cramps as bad.
Before you run, try to eat something high in potassium like bananas or oranges. This will help with cramps too.

Exactly what I use to do (after 18 years I just pray I get through the damn run)...believe it or not it works well and gives you something else to think about instead of the run....Good tip!!

DOorDIE
11-11-08, 06:12 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. Polizei, I hope your stress fracture heals up to 100%!

Happy training!