PDA

View Full Version : VA Claims Tips

SgtDBrownRet
10-22-08, 08:22 PM
Below is a sheet I give to every vet I come in contact. I advise that it be used to help gather evidence to support any VA claim. The main thing that slows up a VA claim is the evidence (in accordance to the 38 C.F.R.) is not in the record. I advise everyone on active duty or off active duty, or reserves to REVIEW YOUR RECORDS!!! Use the website below to see what the VA and DOD is looking for in your records to get the proper rating. This is the law that governs how each condition should be rated by the VA and the DOD. Know your symptoms, discuss them with your doctor, make sure they are documented. For those that records have been destroyed, track down anyone you served with and get statements from them that can back up your injury or illness in service. Lucky for us, the Marine Corps was really good with keeping unit records and morning reports. If your records have been destroyed, or lost, try requesting unit records or morning reports. They should show that you were sent to sickcall; or placed on light/limited duty; or hospital status. If property was damaged or destroyed, you know the unit had to report it in order to deadline or request parts for repair. The average processing time is the national average. Time may vary based on the case load and how much development the VA has to do. It is always good to have a doctor in your corner, because we all know how the VA C&P exams can go.

Hope this helps, it has been working for me for 8 years.

VA CLAIMS TIPS
q SERVICE CONNECTION: There are three criteria that are needed for the grant of service connection. They are (1) treatment for the claimed condition while on active duty or line of duty determination if a member of the Reserves or National Guard; (2) continuous treatment for claimed conditions after service and/or current diagnosis; and (3) a statement from a physician stating your current condition(s) had the onset in service and/or is directly related to and/or aggravated by your military service and/or service-connected condition. Take service medical records that show treatment for the claimed condition in service to your treating physician and have him/her prepare a statement. The statement must include that your service medical records have been reviewed and state whether or not the condition(s) you are applying for service connection had their onset or were aggravated by your military service. (Average process time 6 – 18 months)

q INCEREASED EVALUATION: If you think your service-connected condition(s) has worsened, see the website below to review the criteria needed to support a higher evaluation then submit a medical evidence that documents the symptoms of the higher level.Review of your treatment records is a major part of the exam. Make sure you relay all of the symptoms of your condition(s) and the incident(s) in service that caused the condition(s) to your primary care doctor and the C&P examiners. After each appointment get a copy of the treatment records for your records and review. Check them to ensure the doctor has input the information you both discussed. Treatment records from civilian doctors can be used to file a claim for increased evaluation. Lack of supporting medical evidence to support an increase, may cause a reduction in your current evaluation and prolong the claims process. (Average process time 6 – 18 months)

q NOTICE OF DISAGREEMENTS (NOD): CONTACT YOUR REPRESENTATIVE BEFORE FILNG AN APPEAL. You will need to submit: (1) a statement of exactly what you disagree with, and why; and (2) current medical records that support your contentions; and (3) what would satisfy the issue(s) on appeal. If it has been more that a year since your last rating decision, you cannot appeal the decision. You will need new medical evidence to reopen the claim. The effective date will then be the date of the reopened claim. The appeals process may take years to adjudicate without the proper medical evidence. Only medical evidence can refute the VA’s decision. (Average process time 2 – 7 years)

q SECONDARY SERVICE CONNECTION: If you are filing a claim for a condition that has been caused or aggravated by a service connected condition or its medication, you must provide medical evidence that state the condition you are claiming was either cause or aggravated by your service-connected condition and/or medications taken for service connected condition(s). (Average process time 6 – 18 months)

q The Department of Veteran’s Affairs (VA) and your representative will contact you in writing regarding the status of your claim/appeal (note average process time above), information needed to support your claim/appeal, dates for hearings, and final decision(s).

q The VCAA Reply letter is sent to each veteran when a claim/appeal is filed. It informs you of the information the VA has of record, and asks if you have any additional evidence from non-VA and/or military doctors that can be used to support your claim. Make a selection on the “VCAA Notice Response” sheet, sign, date and send to your representative for review and submission to the VA.

q If you have to have surgery or are hospitalized due to a service connected condition(s), please Submit medical evidence that show the number of months you will be convalescening or hospitalized. The VA pays compensation at the 100% rate during this period.

q For information on the rating criteria used by the VA and the military to evaluate your compensation level go to http://www.warms.vba.va.gov/bookc.html#b1 (http://www.warms.vba.va.gov/bookc.html#b1) COMPARE YOUR TREATEMENT NOTES WITH THE RATING CRITERIA Website to request military records: www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/ (http://www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/)

CONTINUE TREATMENT FOR CLAIMED CONDITION(S) AND MAKE SURE YOU RETRIEVE A COPY OF YOUR TREATMENT RECORDS AFTER EACH MEDICAL APPOINTMENT FOR YOUR REVIEW AND RECORDS!

Direct any questions to your service representative or the VA Regional Office @ 1-800-827-1000.

SgtDBrownRet
10-26-08, 10:21 PM
chec

yellowwing
10-27-08, 06:18 AM
bump

thedrifter
10-27-08, 08:55 AM
Sicking this to the top

Ellie

Ed Palmer
03-14-09, 03:37 PM
http://post_119_gulfport_ms.tripod.com/rao1.html <br />
Veteran's Pensions Update 01: If you are a wartime veteran with a limited income and you are no longer able to work, you may qualify for a Veterans...

AlwaysWillBe
04-17-09, 05:45 PM
I'd like to post a bit of an update here.

I have been DAV rated since 1976.
Last Nov. a DAV outreach truck was in the area, so I took the day off from work and went to see a National Service Officer.
That was on or about Nov 7, 2008.
I appointed the DAV to represent me.
We filed a claim to increase my back disability and to open a new claim for tinnitus / bilateral hearing loss caused by unprotected hearing during flight operations / missions.
On Nov. 13, 2008 I was notified that my claim had been received and the usual notice that they have a large volume of claims they are working on.
On Dec 11, 2008 I received a large packet of material from the Regional VA offfice in Newark NJ.
Jan 12. 2009 I received a notice they were still working on my claim.
On Feb 17, 2009 I was mailed a letter telling me to report for a medical exam on Feb. 25, 2009.
On March 11, 2009 I was notified my claim was still being processed.
On March 13, 2009, I was awarded an increase in my back disability and it was found that my hearing loss / tinnitus was service connected and I received an additional percentage for that. Along with that notice was a letter of formal finding, various information about picking up life insurance and a number of other items.

Within a week the back money was in my account. I also filed for additional compensation for dependents and that was approved in 2 weeks along with all back monies being deposited in my checking account.

From what I can find out, the VA is runnning a pilot program in 13 areas across the country where they want to cut processing time to 90 days.
In my case, I am very pleased. It was fast, efficent and the results were OUTSTANDING !
:D

bpeterson
01-13-10, 05:39 PM
Thank you for this information it is very helpful.

lonewolf13
02-02-10, 06:22 PM
We need more of this info, thank you

SgtDBrownRet
02-03-10, 08:31 PM
The VA and military claims process is very confusing and frustrating. It is successful due to the lack of knowledge of the veterans and service members who apply for benefits. In my 9 years of doing claims work I see how the lack of knowledge has been used against veterans and service members. The VA and military process is a LEGAL matter. There are regulations that are used to determine service connection and the level of disability. You can go to doctor’s appointments and act the plum fool; however, if the proper symptoms are not documented you will just be wasting your time. Doctors do not work at the VA Regional Offices. The raters and Compensation & Pension (C&P) examiners review your claim folder looking for the documented symptoms and link to service documented by your treating physician (civilian or VA). If it is there, benefit granted in no time; if not, you’re on appeal for years and mad as hell. Contrary to Marine Corps logic, everything cannot be settled by force. What happened to knowing your enemy, and using their weakness to your advantage? In the days of people shooting up places, the VA is not standing for aggressive behavior. You may get the 100%, but get labeled incompetent and you will have someone giving you an allowance a month. If you can spend the time reading and posting on these threads, you can spend 10 minutes reading the VA rating criteria prior to going to your appointment, so that you can give your doctor the true symptoms you suffer, that are in line with the VA’s rating criteria. I trust that we all have integrity here, and will not relay false symptoms for monetary gain. With that said, I also know that it is hard for Marines to admit to a problem, be it mental of physical. Knowing what to discuss with your doctors can not only assist in the proper benefits, but the proper treatment. The website has been changed since I posted my VA Claims Tips. Here is the corrected one: http://www.warms.vba.va.gov/bookc.html
Vent here, but be prepared when you go to your doctor’s appointments. Stay focus. Don’t let them get you in a tizzy. Remember, they have to weed out the malingerers, and they too have rules, guidelines, and questions they must ask. If you are issued a knee brace, ask why. Make sure they document the reason for the course of treatment. Getting issued braces, crutches, medications, x-rays, MRIs, etc… does not diagnosis or link a condition to service, that’s just treatment that the government promised every veteran.

jbardy50BMG
03-01-10, 10:40 PM
If you follow the advice given to you at the top of this form you should be sucessful at recieving your due compinsation for your wounds and or injuries! Please do not take this as welfare it is not,we owe are Vets. far more than we do. It is a small way to pay back what you lost defending our country. Thank You.
" Semper Fi "

kaelobo
03-20-10, 09:09 AM
ONLY problem is if you suck it up as a good marine does,and years pass, like back,hearing,jungle rot, and have no doc records, its a hard hill to climb. now if you got on in right after discharge,...

rufus1
04-22-10, 11:44 AM
Good advise about going early and getting in because I also was one that looked on everything as I am a Marine and I can handle it myself. I was told I had PTSD but didn't seek help until i dreamed that I killed my wife while fighting in a dream. I stay by myself and keep my back to the wall also and I guess it will always be that way but I have a better understanding about what is going on now. Going through my second wife because I stay at home and seldon go out to places but don't drink like I use to but still like to go out in the Blue Ridge Mountains and just sit. Presently 100% due to Agent Orange problems (Cancer).Slipped Back Into The World
Vietnam. The word brings different images to different people, often with some sort of negative connotation of a quagmire of a war fought as much in the political arena as on the battlefield, although the stakes were much higher for those on the battlefield. Most people I think would even have trouble finding Vietnam on a map, if they could do it at all.
When I think of Vietnam, I think of "Joe". Joe can find Vietnam without a map. He usually finds it in the middle of the night when he wakes up in a cold sweat and shaking because he just realized that he's still alive... again. He's been finding it every night for 40 years, but he probably won't tell you about it because the first time he tried to tell someone he got burned. The last time, nobody cared anymore.
Joe isn't one person of course, he's 3 million American's who went to Vietnam for no other reason than their country asked them to and then shamed them for going. 58 thousand of them came home in boxes; 155 thousand came home in pieces and the rest wake up at night shaking. That's Joe.
My Joe is a smaller group of people, maybe half a dozen that have I been honored to know and have blended together to try and tell a bit of their story. Joe decided to join the service in 1967 because at 18, he thought he could make a difference in the world. He went to his local recruiter and proudly announced that he was there to join the war effort to go stop communists in Vietnam. After an interview and a couple of weeks of meetings and evaluations, it was decided that he would he would leave for boot camp in 6 weeks. Several days later at the dinner table of his parents' home, he received a phone call letting him know that a slot had become available immediately and that he could leave for boot camp the following morning.
Unfortunately, he had neglected to tell his parents anything about his plans yet. Why should he have? He still had six more weeks, and that is a LONG time... well, it is if your 18, isn't it? "Mom, Dad, I have something I need to talk to you about. I've been thinking about it and, well, I've joined the military and I'm going to serve in Vietnam. I know what you're thinking, but I've already made up my mind and I signed all the papers earlier today." Silence. "Mom... Dad?" Finally, dad mustered up a few words. "When do you leave?" "Tomorrow morning. I go to boot camp for 13 weeks and then probably straight to Vietnam. I don't know when I'll be home again after tonight."
His mother now lost what remaining vestige of calm she had left and fled the room in tears. Dad was able to keep control of himself in rapt silence, but Joe found out later that he had a nervous breakdown not long after he left for the war and Mom ended up being the glue that held the family together.
Boot Camp is where you lose your identity and then get a new one back. You are stripped of any sense of self, and you learn a humility that is beyond imagination to most of us. I'm not just talking about sleeping in a bunkhouse with 100 other people or changing your clothes in public. I'm talking about 10 toilets in a room with no walls or doors. Variations on the word "I" will be used only under pain of a million pushups, and replaced with "this recruit". The closest you will come to even being acknowledged by your peers is when you are screamed at by a drill instructor at 3 o'clock in the morning because there is a bug on your bunk, because you have no peers.
You are a recruit, and that is the worst scum on the earth. Even the other recruits aren't your peers, because they are you. All sense of identity is lost here. What comes out at the other end however, is a sight to behold. Boys come out men and girls come out women with a whole new identity. They are the most polite, cleanest, responsible, and well behaved group of young people you ever will meet. They are also your worst nightmare if they need to be.
Joe actually liked boot camp. Sure, he would write letters home complaining about the food, or more specifically the lack of it, or about the drill instructors and the physical demands, but he felt like he was starting to fit in. He was learning to trust himself, and to trust the person on his left and the one on his right. And as much of a jerk as that drill instructor seemed to be, Joe was coming to realize that this was a person he would never forget. To this day, he has not.
On graduation day, Joe and his fellow recruits were marched onto the parade grounds to perform a very elaborate ceremony that would be witnessed by a handful of officers and noncoms but an otherwise empty grandstand. Joe's parents were not there, but he expected that, no one's parents were there. To the outside observer, it must have seemed a very lonely and sad day, but Joe had never felt like he belonged anywhere more than he belonged here at this exact moment. These were his people now.
For the next three years, Joe's story mostly disappears for those of us who stayed home. To be sure we have movies and books and newsreels, but for the most part we don't hear the stories from the people who lived them and I'm not sure we ever will. I'm not sure we ever want to.
For something to be so horrible that close to 3 million men and women hold it inside for nearly 40 years, it cannot be easy to bear. What we do hear is the stories of friendship and the bonds that were created between them, which is where my Joe comes back into the telling. His best friend was kneeling over him holding his hand and trying to reassure him that he was going to be all right.
Joe was bleeding badly and his unit was in the middle of an intense firefight but he could hear the helicopters finally coming in to get him and the other wounded out. He had no idea how badly he had been hit, but he knew that he couldn't move his arm and that he was starting to lose consciousness. His friend had patched him up as best as he could and helped get him on the waiting helicopter, which then sped out of the jungle without time for a goodbye. They would not see each other again for 40 years, not even knowing if the other was still alive but when they finally did meet again, it was as if two brothers long ago separated had found each other. They had both cheated death together, and they knew it.
His next memory is of being in a bunk on board a naval hospital ship in pain and without enough room in his bunk even to roll over, let alone get comfortable. He had just about decided that his life was as bad as it possibly could get when he turned to look at a young man in the bunk below him who was driving him nuts with all of his moaning and whining. The young man was in a similar bunk, but he was confined to his back not because of the cramped space, but because he no longer had arms or legs. It was at that moment that Joe decided never to feel sorry for himself again; to my knowledge, he never has.
Eighteen months later, the war now over for him and his wounds as much healed as they were ever likely to get, Joe came home on a commercial flight and landed at his hometown airport. There was no pomp or fanfare or cheering throngs with welcome home signs. He was one of the lucky ones, left alone that night. No protesters were there to meet him because it was too late in the evening to be bothered with going out to spit on another soldier or call him a baby killer and so he quietly grabbed his bags, walked out of the terminal and slipped back into the world as alone as he was the day before boot camp. The country he had given so much of himself to didn't even know he was home, and sometimes didn't care.
Today, Joe is an executive, and a truck driver, and a teacher, and a police officer, and a friend. Sadly, he or she may have gotten too lost to get back and is no longer with us, but more often he is right among us still hanging onto an anonymity that protects him from any more hurt. More and more though, he is starting to emerge as America finally starts to understand that he is still here and deserving of our respect. He organizes crowds at the airport to make sure that our newest generation of fighting men and women come home to the sort of welcome that he should have had. He volunteers to pack care packages for our troops overseas even after working ten hours and driving 90 minutes to get there, and he gives his dog tags to a young Marine heading into battle.
As a society, we need to make sure that he keeps coming out; that he knows that we are a grateful nation and understand that without his sacrifice, not even protests would have been possible, let alone prosperity and freedom. If you know a veteran, tell him thank you; it might just be the first time anyone ever has. Write a letter and take it to the Veteran's Affairs office. Do something to let these men and women know that they don't need to hide anymore, that we're proud of them, and that we get it at last. And if you see someone wearing a yellow bar tipped on the ends in green with three vertical red stripes through the middle, that's Joe. Shake his hand and tell him that you know who he is, and that you appreciate what he did. Remember, he's been to h&ll; he'd go again if we asked him to, and he might go there tonight before he wakes up shaking.
Thanks Joe... and Roger... and Mike... and Lloyd... and Jim...
Reply Forward (THIS SAY IT ALL) (BELOW IS ANOTHER VERY TRUE ARTICLE)I lost my son February 27, 2010. After spending a couple of days with fellow Marines, I was inspired to write this and wanted to share it.
Kari Underkofer
A Marine
To most, a Marine is a young handsome son in uniform serving his country, but there is a far greater depth to he that is called a Marine.
There are many who desire the title of Marine, but few that are able to give themselves to this calling.
It takes a great inner strength and fortitude to even complete the training that is required of a Marine.
A transformation of one's self takes place and a lifetime brotherhood bond is established between each and every Marine.
A Marine is a different breed of character and only their own understand this tie to one another.
A Marine is the first one on the battle field, eye to eye with the enemy, knocking down doors and removing threats.
They will go days without hot meals or showers. Their beds will be shoveled out dirt holes that fill with water and mud.
They are exposed to the elements of heat and cold, with only their fellow Marine to keep them warm or care to their wounds.
A Marine may be wounded from blasts or explosions, run on broken limbs, but will continue on until the mission is complete.
They will risk everything to save one another. They will retrieve their brother's bodies from the battlefield, as no man is left behind.
But the battle does not end here, it continues on in every Marine's memory, all for the sake of freedom so that we, as civilians may speak our minds, go to a McDonald's or grab a cup of moxie.
The Marine continues to bear this burden for us. He trembles inside at loud noises, his heartbeat races in crowds of people, he continues on high alert to ensure his safety.
He sometimes attempts to silence this burden with alcohol, pills, and drugs. His home life is often damaged with anger because he cannot speak of what he feels.
My friend, this is the price of our freedom. The reason we can take a walk on safe ground, have good food and clean water, raise our children and send them to school so their lives may be better than our own.
The sacrifices made by these men are daunting.
The United States Marine Corps took my son Joe and returned to me a warrior, Chango. The good Lord took Chango, but returned to me hundreds of sons in the United States Marine Corps.
Their love for their fellow Marine, brother and family is overwhelming.
I am privileged that God would entrust me with such an honor as to give birth to a Marine.
Although Chango now guards the gates of heaven, he continues to live on through each and every United States Marine.
May God send his angels of peace to touch each Marine and may every United States citizen take the time to truly understand that your freedom is not free.
God love the Marines
Reply Reply to all Forward
MAY GOD BLESS ALL OF OUR BROTHER AND SISTERS WHO NOW SERVES,THOSE WHO HAVE SERVED AND THOSE WHO WILL SERVE IN THE FUTURE. (A NOTE TO ALL MARINES - IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WHILE YOU ARE IN DON'T SUCK IT UP - GO TO SICK BAY AND IT WILL BE DOCUMENTED IN YOUR RECORDS FOR YOUR FUTURE. ALSO WHEN YOU GET OUT GET A FULL COPY OF YOUR MEDICAL RECORDS !!!!!!!!!!!!

kaelobo
04-24-10, 02:07 PM
i didnt make it to hot springs sd for my 6wk program.mile marker 87 in wyoming.two antelope ran in front of me and i total my car ,ended up in hosptal ,to me thats sucks .i was realy looking forword to the program, i wonder why i didnt die in the wreck, its tuff to get loose from this thing(ptsd),when i was knock out went back to nam and remember things i forgot, real bad things, all i have to say is fck............................................... ...........usmc

HM3 Doc Wilder
08-26-10, 08:24 PM
Dear rufus 1 and koelobo-How you Do'in?-What you say Rufus-is True-most Marines-are too proud-to ever ask for Help.They keep everything inside-some can manage-for their entire life.Others begin to realize that something is wrong with them.They may have extreme rage-or don't know why they just put their fist through a wall.Things have a way of sneaking up on you.You cant run and you cant hide-When you feel bad-it's real bad-I believe I have been there.Koelobo-I have felt just like you expressed.Sometimes you just have to rough it out.It's you against yourself-Who needs it.:flag::thumbup:

HM3 Doc Wilder
08-26-10, 09:05 PM
Dear Ed Palmer, and Always Will Be-You guys said it right.Always Document your" Sick-Call"and make" A Copy OF Your Health Record"-before you get out of the Corps.There's nothing more important.This way if some-Military Official-tells you." UH-the place where your records were kept "Burned-Down"-you will still have your Official Health "Record" to submit if you have to.Make two copies-keep one in a vault-Always Will Be-I know about "Tinnitus"-sorry Brother-God Bless Everyone Here.Semper FI

HM3 Doc Wilder
09-03-10, 02:27 AM
You Guys-Got to me-Tears are running down my eyes-I don't know what to say-for once on Leatherneck-God Bless you ALL-I'm not Queer but I love YOu.What more can I say........Semper FI-MY Brothers

HM3 Doc Wilder
09-03-10, 02:39 AM
Good advise about going early and getting in because I also was one that looked on everything as I am a Marine and I can handle it myself. I was told I had PTSD but didn't seek help until i dreamed that I killed my wife while fighting in a dream. I stay by myself and keep my back to the wall also and I guess it will always be that way but I have a better understanding about what is going on now. Going through my second wife because I stay at home and seldon go out to places but don't drink like I use to but still like to go out in the Blue Ridge Mountains and just sit. Presently 100% due to Agent Orange problems (Cancer).Slipped Back Into The World
Vietnam. The word brings different images to different people, often with some sort of negative connotation of a quagmire of a war fought as much in the political arena as on the battlefield, although the stakes were much higher for those on the battlefield. Most people I think would even have trouble finding Vietnam on a map, if they could do it at all.
When I think of Vietnam, I think of "Joe". Joe can find Vietnam without a map. He usually finds it in the middle of the night when he wakes up in a cold sweat and shaking because he just realized that he's still alive... again. He's been finding it every night for 40 years, but he probably won't tell you about it because the first time he tried to tell someone he got burned. The last time, nobody cared anymore.
Joe isn't one person of course, he's 3 million American's who went to Vietnam for no other reason than their country asked them to and then shamed them for going. 58 thousand of them came home in boxes; 155 thousand came home in pieces and the rest wake up at night shaking. That's Joe.
My Joe is a smaller group of people, maybe half a dozen that have I been honored to know and have blended together to try and tell a bit of their story. Joe decided to join the service in 1967 because at 18, he thought he could make a difference in the world. He went to his local recruiter and proudly announced that he was there to join the war effort to go stop communists in Vietnam. After an interview and a couple of weeks of meetings and evaluations, it was decided that he would he would leave for boot camp in 6 weeks. Several days later at the dinner table of his parents' home, he received a phone call letting him know that a slot had become available immediately and that he could leave for boot camp the following morning.
Unfortunately, he had neglected to tell his parents anything about his plans yet. Why should he have? He still had six more weeks, and that is a LONG time... well, it is if your 18, isn't it? "Mom, Dad, I have something I need to talk to you about. I've been thinking about it and, well, I've joined the military and I'm going to serve in Vietnam. I know what you're thinking, but I've already made up my mind and I signed all the papers earlier today." Silence. "Mom... Dad?" Finally, dad mustered up a few words. "When do you leave?" "Tomorrow morning. I go to boot camp for 13 weeks and then probably straight to Vietnam. I don't know when I'll be home again after tonight."
His mother now lost what remaining vestige of calm she had left and fled the room in tears. Dad was able to keep control of himself in rapt silence, but Joe found out later that he had a nervous breakdown not long after he left for the war and Mom ended up being the glue that held the family together.
Boot Camp is where you lose your identity and then get a new one back. You are stripped of any sense of self, and you learn a humility that is beyond imagination to most of us. I'm not just talking about sleeping in a bunkhouse with 100 other people or changing your clothes in public. I'm talking about 10 toilets in a room with no walls or doors. Variations on the word "I" will be used only under pain of a million pushups, and replaced with "this recruit". The closest you will come to even being acknowledged by your peers is when you are screamed at by a drill instructor at 3 o'clock in the morning because there is a bug on your bunk, because you have no peers.
You are a recruit, and that is the worst scum on the earth. Even the other recruits aren't your peers, because they are you. All sense of identity is lost here. What comes out at the other end however, is a sight to behold. Boys come out men and girls come out women with a whole new identity. They are the most polite, cleanest, responsible, and well behaved group of young people you ever will meet. They are also your worst nightmare if they need to be.
Joe actually liked boot camp. Sure, he would write letters home complaining about the food, or more specifically the lack of it, or about the drill instructors and the physical demands, but he felt like he was starting to fit in. He was learning to trust himself, and to trust the person on his left and the one on his right. And as much of a jerk as that drill instructor seemed to be, Joe was coming to realize that this was a person he would never forget. To this day, he has not.
On graduation day, Joe and his fellow recruits were marched onto the parade grounds to perform a very elaborate ceremony that would be witnessed by a handful of officers and noncoms but an otherwise empty grandstand. Joe's parents were not there, but he expected that, no one's parents were there. To the outside observer, it must have seemed a very lonely and sad day, but Joe had never felt like he belonged anywhere more than he belonged here at this exact moment. These were his people now.
For the next three years, Joe's story mostly disappears for those of us who stayed home. To be sure we have movies and books and newsreels, but for the most part we don't hear the stories from the people who lived them and I'm not sure we ever will. I'm not sure we ever want to.
For something to be so horrible that close to 3 million men and women hold it inside for nearly 40 years, it cannot be easy to bear. What we do hear is the stories of friendship and the bonds that were created between them, which is where my Joe comes back into the telling. His best friend was kneeling over him holding his hand and trying to reassure him that he was going to be all right.
Joe was bleeding badly and his unit was in the middle of an intense firefight but he could hear the helicopters finally coming in to get him and the other wounded out. He had no idea how badly he had been hit, but he knew that he couldn't move his arm and that he was starting to lose consciousness. His friend had patched him up as best as he could and helped get him on the waiting helicopter, which then sped out of the jungle without time for a goodbye. They would not see each other again for 40 years, not even knowing if the other was still alive but when they finally did meet again, it was as if two brothers long ago separated had found each other. They had both cheated death together, and they knew it.
His next memory is of being in a bunk on board a naval hospital ship in pain and without enough room in his bunk even to roll over, let alone get comfortable. He had just about decided that his life was as bad as it possibly could get when he turned to look at a young man in the bunk below him who was driving him nuts with all of his moaning and whining. The young man was in a similar bunk, but he was confined to his back not because of the cramped space, but because he no longer had arms or legs. It was at that moment that Joe decided never to feel sorry for himself again; to my knowledge, he never has.
Eighteen months later, the war now over for him and his wounds as much healed as they were ever likely to get, Joe came home on a commercial flight and landed at his hometown airport. There was no pomp or fanfare or cheering throngs with welcome home signs. He was one of the lucky ones, left alone that night. No protesters were there to meet him because it was too late in the evening to be bothered with going out to spit on another soldier or call him a baby killer and so he quietly grabbed his bags, walked out of the terminal and slipped back into the world as alone as he was the day before boot camp. The country he had given so much of himself to didn't even know he was home, and sometimes didn't care.
Today, Joe is an executive, and a truck driver, and a teacher, and a police officer, and a friend. Sadly, he or she may have gotten too lost to get back and is no longer with us, but more often he is right among us still hanging onto an anonymity that protects him from any more hurt. More and more though, he is starting to emerge as America finally starts to understand that he is still here and deserving of our respect. He organizes crowds at the airport to make sure that our newest generation of fighting men and women come home to the sort of welcome that he should have had. He volunteers to pack care packages for our troops overseas even after working ten hours and driving 90 minutes to get there, and he gives his dog tags to a young Marine heading into battle.
As a society, we need to make sure that he keeps coming out; that he knows that we are a grateful nation and understand that without his sacrifice, not even protests would have been possible, let alone prosperity and freedom. If you know a veteran, tell him thank you; it might just be the first time anyone ever has. Write a letter and take it to the Veteran's Affairs office. Do something to let these men and women know that they don't need to hide anymore, that we're proud of them, and that we get it at last. And if you see someone wearing a yellow bar tipped on the ends in green with three vertical red stripes through the middle, that's Joe. Shake his hand and tell him that you know who he is, and that you appreciate what he did. Remember, he's been to h&ll; he'd go again if we asked him to, and he might go there tonight before he wakes up shaking.
Thanks Joe... and Roger... and Mike... and Lloyd... and Jim...
Reply Forward (THIS SAY IT ALL) (BELOW IS ANOTHER VERY TRUE ARTICLE)I lost my son February 27, 2010. After spending a couple of days with fellow Marines, I was inspired to write this and wanted to share it.
Kari Underkofer
A Marine
To most, a Marine is a young handsome son in uniform serving his country, but there is a far greater depth to he that is called a Marine.
There are many who desire the title of Marine, but few that are able to give themselves to this calling.
It takes a great inner strength and fortitude to even complete the training that is required of a Marine.
A transformation of one's self takes place and a lifetime brotherhood bond is established between each and every Marine.
A Marine is a different breed of character and only their own understand this tie to one another.
A Marine is the first one on the battle field, eye to eye with the enemy, knocking down doors and removing threats.
They will go days without hot meals or showers. Their beds will be shoveled out dirt holes that fill with water and mud.
They are exposed to the elements of heat and cold, with only their fellow Marine to keep them warm or care to their wounds.
A Marine may be wounded from blasts or explosions, run on broken limbs, but will continue on until the mission is complete.
They will risk everything to save one another. They will retrieve their brother's bodies from the battlefield, as no man is left behind.
But the battle does not end here, it continues on in every Marine's memory, all for the sake of freedom so that we, as civilians may speak our minds, go to a McDonald's or grab a cup of moxie.
The Marine continues to bear this burden for us. He trembles inside at loud noises, his heartbeat races in crowds of people, he continues on high alert to ensure his safety.
He sometimes attempts to silence this burden with alcohol, pills, and drugs. His home life is often damaged with anger because he cannot speak of what he feels.
My friend, this is the price of our freedom. The reason we can take a walk on safe ground, have good food and clean water, raise our children and send them to school so their lives may be better than our own.
The sacrifices made by these men are daunting.
The United States Marine Corps took my son Joe and returned to me a warrior, Chango. The good Lord took Chango, but returned to me hundreds of sons in the United States Marine Corps.
Their love for their fellow Marine, brother and family is overwhelming.
I am privileged that God would entrust me with such an honor as to give birth to a Marine.
Although Chango now guards the gates of heaven, he continues to live on through each and every United States Marine.
May God send his angels of peace to touch each Marine and may every United States citizen take the time to truly understand that your freedom is not free.
God love the Marines
Reply Reply to all Forward
MAY GOD BLESS ALL OF OUR BROTHER AND SISTERS WHO NOW SERVES,THOSE WHO HAVE SERVED AND THOSE WHO WILL SERVE IN THE FUTURE. (A NOTE TO ALL MARINES - IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WHILE YOU ARE IN DON'T SUCK IT UP - GO TO SICK BAY AND IT WILL BE DOCUMENTED IN YOUR RECORDS FOR YOUR FUTURE. ALSO WHEN YOU GET OUT GET A FULL COPY OF YOUR MEDICAL RECORDS !!!!!!!!!!!!////////..............I'm Crying like a baby-I am SO-Moved-Thank you-So Much...............God Bless you All-My Your Son-Watch Over You From Heaven-and Communicate With You.Bless You ALL:iwo:

spotts
09-03-10, 06:58 AM
If anyone is having a problem with VA paperwork or has questions in general regarding claims or pensions please IM me. I am a veteran Services Rep in the VA Regional Office in Philadelphia. Id be glad to help you out.

HM3 Doc Wilder
09-03-10, 09:05 AM
If anyone is having a problem with VA paperwork or has questions in general regarding claims or pensions please IM me. I am a veteran Services Rep in the VA Regional Office in Philadelphia. Id be glad to help you out......Bless You Spotts-This is what I've been trying to tell people here.The Service Reps-are very dedicated-and they know-How to Do Things-and make "Majick"-Bless you for Taking on More Work.:thumbup:

gkmoz
09-03-10, 09:33 AM
If anyone is having a problem with VA paperwork or has questions in general regarding claims or pensions please IM me. I am a veteran Services Rep in the VA Regional Office in Philadelphia. Id be glad to help you out.
Deleted

NoRemorse
09-03-10, 09:43 AM
Is the process really that much easier with a VSO? I was considering calling the state DVA for help.

spotts
09-03-10, 10:49 AM
Definitely have a VSO as a Rep. The DVA is a good one or the American legion or VFW.

NoRemorse
09-03-10, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the kick in the right direction. Scheduled a face-to-face for later on this month.

Just have to make copies of this three inch stack...

FistFu68
09-03-10, 01:19 PM
:usmc: "Saepius Exertus~Semper Fidelis~Frater Infinitas" :usmc: :iwo:

Sgt0141USMC
10-11-10, 06:54 AM
Good stuff, man! Thanks. I've got a claim submitted; didn't know ALL your tips so I'm doing some follow-up. I've copied your terrific sheet and will help circulate it although I tire of the gatherings of 'formers' who's only topics of discussion seems to be 'how to best try to get the best of the VA'.

Until this Govt Administration was elected and began trying to bankrupt me I was able to survive on my private retirement benefits and SS. I'm helping support a single-mom daughter and I'm glad I'm able but I could sure use some help if I qualify for assistance without dreaded charity.

Again, thanks, my experience is you can always depend on a Brother Marine for the best sincere advice.

Mike

pauldoc
12-31-10, 04:11 PM
I did not file a appeal Went to Regional center and they submitted the claim I told them that I had 30 % already so he said we will set it up, I got these forms 21-4142to release information,two of those then got from 21-4138 statement to support of claim my question is this Do I fell out this form myself, My wife is sending in a letter in also They say I have 30 days I am also to file with this form my 30% claim from Aug of this year this is my 1st time doing any of this sh--tt e stuff I am going to see the shrink on the 11 of Jan go to group 1st time at the VET center which they VA has sent for, I was in a group last summer but had to drop because I have to work, have not been able to get in another at the VA, now I will go to the Vet center for group this Wednesday. This is for PTSD increase VN Vet 69-70 Arizona Valley most of the tour.
Is there any thing else I should do now.
My question am I doing this right? YOU on here know more then me I so new

kaelobo
12-31-10, 05:12 PM
Paul this is how it work for me, i run heavy equipment for 20 years local 9. i would lose a job almost twice a mtn,flash backs and fights with boss truck drivers,and i had assault record, i had written statement's from my old bosses saying i run the equipment well but cant take orders, and i had a va shrink that i seen for over years write a statement about my head problems, again i was not making it up. i do and did have problems , a the guy at c and p will be able to tell, geting a increase is easy if you got a problem, you got to get all you ducks in a row. my opinion.............usmc

montana
12-31-10, 08:22 PM
wish this info was around back in the 70s/80s...was in the mid 90s that i got a puter and was able to do reserch....up to that time VA just gave me the run a round...i do hope that our younger bros apresiate all the hard work you old salts have done to mae it easyer to prove their disabilitys....was pure hell not to many years ago

be safe good people

HM3 Doc Wilder
01-03-11, 05:45 PM
I did not file a appeal Went to Regional center and they submitted the claim I told them that I had 30 % already so he said we will set it up, I got these forms 21-4142to release information,two of those then got from 21-4138 statement to support of claim my question is this Do I fell out this form myself, My wife is sending in a letter in also They say I have 30 days I am also to file with this form my 30% claim from Aug of this year this is my 1st time doing any of this sh--tt e stuff I am going to see the shrink on the 11 of Jan go to group 1st time at the VET center which they VA has sent for, I was in a group last summer but had to drop because I have to work, have not been able to get in another at the VA, now I will go to the Vet center for group this Wednesday. This is for PTSD increase VN Vet 69-70 Arizona Valley most of the tour.
Is there any thing else I should do now.
My question am I doing this right? YOU on here know more then me I so new................................Hello Pauldoc-the answer to your question is: Your doing it all wrong-not your fault as it wasn't mine-when I reported my acute tinnitus and noise that drove me nuts.A representative from New York Regional office told me-I just shot myself in the foot by filling out the papers myself.Therefore -Join the DAV-Have a Service Rep-represent you.Do-not do anything yourself-the game is a foot.Do-not represent yourself for any reason without getting the facts and the Ammo you will need-to Win your claim...Ho-Rar..Get Them Liars......Your wife's input is very important-were there any black and blue marks on her?Do you Frighten her?-Do you have mood changes and shifts in personality?You have a on the spot witness-that can verify your rage and anguish .A little direction is all you need-I've been screwed plenty-read my mind-Join the Dav-let them handle-it-------I know I'm right in this PaulDoc-RhodeIsland would agree and Zulu36,and Kaelobe-might also.Don't give Em a chance to screw you-I did-but then You deserve it more-These are really not friendlies-Trust the VA-"Not"-The DAV is really on your side.Period-Wishing you Claim Justice in the Near Future..............:flag::tank:SEMPER FI-my Marine Brother............

Troutzilla
01-03-11, 06:44 PM
This site is awesome for information.......

http://www.recordsofwar.com/vietnam/usmc/USMC_Rvn.htm

Semper Fi
Trout

JohnEaceHunt
01-04-11, 02:16 AM
troutzilla, I was with the 23rd Americal as an MP in '68, and the last 30 days of the duty, was lead jeep gunner on the convoy every day to hill 63. We were ambushed the last week I was there, and slept on the ground at 63, and made it back to Chu-lai the next day. I later became a Crew Chief on 46's and flew into Baldy at times, and all over I Corps. Loved it. I believe the actual number of Vetnam Vets that for sure touched dirt there was not many over 2 million. Now there seems to be about 5-10 million plus people that claims to have been there. There are so many getting money for nothing, its funny. I spent 20 months there, and would have extended again if I had had the chance. But thats the way it goes. I used to try to tell people what, and how to do it, but there are more people every day trying to get something for nothin, it stinks, so I stopped. I have always wondered why they had to have Marine Gunners on an Army convoy. Noticed your avitar, and thought I'd mention this, and say hey there. Have good ones, and Hope the ones that need, and deserve it, gets it. I recomend the DAV for help. There are 399 of us dying every day, and it won't be long before all the actuals are gone, including me. Thats if I let the va treat me. I've only been mis-diagnosed by them 6 times now. All would have put me under. I had the sense, and money(wifes insurance), to go to a Private Dr. Just go to the speciality clinics now. Better for my health. Semper Fi, and READY-APP.

HM3 Doc Wilder
01-05-11, 03:00 AM
Ace,your the man and completely correct.Always get the best Medical Care-you can afford.If you eyed my Va Postings-you know i was treated like a peasant-when I first went to the Va-for my liver disease.Later told I was crazy-from Vietnam-suddenly those records are no-longer to be found.When I applied for PTSD-All of a sudden-I was told I was completely mentally healed-What do you know-I was A Mental-Medical Miracle-Of Va PTSD-Compensation&Pension.Yeah I never asked for nothing-because they make you feel like Sh*T.My liver deserved more-I know that-Every Vietnam Veteran is crazy.Be Proud of it-and this Country created it.You get used and disposed of.This Country gives money away to Enemies-what about the Patriots that stood up for their country to be counted on.History has CRS-Cant Remember Sh*t and because of that Americans Die.God Bless you Ace and God Protect America from America.....Amen

HM3 Doc Wilder
01-05-11, 03:24 AM
Thank God-There's The United States Marine Corps-The Last Hope in American Freedom...Semper FI.

Gunz
02-14-11, 12:00 PM
Register with this site and you can track your claim.

https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits-portal/ebenefits.portal

LtColK
09-30-11, 03:03 PM
If you are still on AD, have your military medical facility print out copies of your medical notes and appointments. Make two copies each of your medical and dental records. Since approx 2003 the services started doing most medical paperwork electronically. Since approx 2009 these medical notes, paperwork and documentation have been tied into one database.

The best advice is to see your local VA facility while still on AD and ask them for what they need. If you have an EAS you can start the process prior to getting off AD. You can't submit the request for disability until you have your DD214 but at least you can have the VA look at your ailments before you get off AD.

sf
LtCol K

LtColK
09-30-11, 03:07 PM
Here is the VA link to the Benefits Delivery at Discharge (BDD). <br />
<br />
http://www.vba.va.gov/VBA/benefits/factsheets/general/bdd_brochure.pdf <br />
<br />
sf <br />
LtCol K

sscjoe
12-13-11, 08:16 AM
I just opened a disability claim for an ankle injury I had in service and now I have bad arthritis. I am already with the VA and the arthritis was diagnosed by their orthopedic Doc.
My vet rep. has a copy of my medical record from that time frame. My question is, based on your experiences, Does the VA treat arthritis as a bonifide disability?

oldtop
12-13-11, 08:52 AM
Yes, if it is the residual of an injury.

kaelobo
12-24-11, 08:52 AM
I would like to give the results on the VA helping my Mom at ass living, as i said before my father was Army never rated ww2, she has 4sons served viet nam one buried at Ft Logan cemetery , i thought the VA has to have something for her , i ask and knock on doors at the va they all said no, iwas in my group at the VA and brought it up with the help of this site, i found out there was,its called aid and attendance but medicaid wont help if the VA starts helping .VA pays 159$a month medicate pays 80$, every little bit helps. her bill is 3500$ a month,this is just a update

Charles Weidman
01-30-12, 12:12 PM
Recently,November 2011, I applied for Agent Orange claim as I have both heart and diabetes problems. Am curious as to how long the wait is for the disposition of my claim. All my records for both problems were sent in by my VA Rep and acknoledged by the VA also the possible monetary value. Iretured in October 1976 with 22 years and am a Gunnery Sergeant. Any ideas/opinions? Thanks:flag::evilgrin:

Zulu 36
01-30-12, 12:56 PM
Recently,November 2011, I applied for Agent Orange claim as I have both heart and diabetes problems. Am curious as to how long the wait is for the disposition of my claim. All my records for both problems were sent in by my VA Rep and acknoledged by the VA also the possible monetary value. Iretured in October 1976 with 22 years and am a Gunnery Sergeant. Any ideas/opinions? Thanks:flag::evilgrin:

The wait time depends on a number of factors. Have you had your C&P exams yet?

My PTSD/hearing loss claim took only a few months from claim submission to initial determination, but that was pretty fast. It depends on the work load at your VA regional office and C&P exam center. However, my appeal on the percentage for PTSD is still pending since Sep 2011. I am not appealing the hearing loss/tinnitus claim percentage. My VA regional office is at St Petersburg, FL.

Another site member took 22-months from filing to initial determination. His regional office was Baltimore, MD.

As to what percentage they may give you, who knows? It depends on how bad your diabetes and heart problems are, etc. Sometimes I think they just throw a dart at a board and see what comes up.

Charles Weidman
01-31-12, 07:46 AM
I take 10 meds each AM, one @ noon,two at dinner and two at PM. Had a massive heart attack in October, 1995 at which time the docs told my Wife that it looked like I wouldn't make it, but being the old "crusty" Gunny that I am, I dug in and held the line. Only an angio (?) plasty seemed to have saved me. Had another just before Thanksgiving two years ago which was minor. First time, I was awake when they hit me with the paddles, and believe me it hurt a bunch, but I told them to do what they had to do, no problem.:thumbup:

Zulu 36
01-31-12, 10:35 AM
I take 10 meds each AM, one @ noon,two at dinner and two at PM. Had a massive heart attack in October, 1995 at which time the docs told my Wife that it looked like I wouldn't make it, but being the old "crusty" Gunny that I am, I dug in and held the line. Only an angio (?) plasty seemed to have saved me. Had another just before Thanksgiving two years ago which was minor. First time, I was awake when they hit me with the paddles, and believe me it hurt a bunch, but I told them to do what they had to do, no problem.:thumbup:
You must have been in ventricular tachycardia for them to zap you while still conscious. Normally they try to medicate you with IV Valium first. I'll bet that zap shook some of the rust off your pipes. :scared:

Charles Weidman
01-31-12, 01:41 PM
Fortunately, I seem to have a really high pain threshold. I think they hit me about 6-8 times and a big shot of blood thinner. Seems to me I heard the rescue people say I had a pulse of 12 and zero blood pressure at one time. My wife said that where I had a hole, I bled. I think the thinner was something called TPA. I plan on living to be 150 just to pi$$ them off. LOL

kaelobo
05-13-12, 09:09 AM
I am 100and p&t, received a letter yesterday from the VA asking if i was employed the last 12months if so list the employers and they will adjust my rating no i have not work, iam just wondering if these type of letters are normal,kinda of got me freak cause i just freak out over anything that is a threat to me , any input would help me to think its all good, s/f

Charles Weidman
05-13-12, 10:19 AM
Got a letter/handbook also from the VA about signing up for VA medical Care (I have a family doctor and have had her for 12 years). Also enclosed with the booklet was a form letter stating that the VAs decision was final and I had a year to appeal. No idea just what their decision was told recently I'd been denied compensation for my Type II diabetes dated back to 2007 of which I have no reccollection what-so-ever of having applied for. Been totally disabled from a heart attack in 1995 & another in 2009 so one can only wonder just what is going on. Was told that a decision would be determined the end of may or first portion of June so am still awaiting their almighty thought process being completed. Makes one wonder to say the least how they operate. JMHO

LtColK
05-15-12, 08:17 PM
I am 100and p&t, received a letter yesterday from the VA asking if i was employed the last 12months if so list the employers and they will adjust my rating no i have not work, iam just wondering if these type of letters are normal,kinda of got me freak cause i just freak out over anything that is a threat to me , any input would help me to think its all good, s/f

If you don't mind me asking is part of your rating based on your being unemployable?

sf
LtCol K

kaelobo
05-19-12, 02:14 PM
yes it is. i thought being p and t. i would not be under any review? s/f

spotts
05-20-12, 11:48 AM
If you are p/t you can be reviewed every few years to determine if you still rate that disability.

Dawg0811
05-20-12, 03:15 PM
Hmmm... I submitted my claim for PTSD/Undiagnosed Illness (Desert Storm) in March 2011. By August I hadn't heard anything back. I contacted my VSO and they told me that the waiting period was between 8 months to 2 years. I contacted my local Senator and had him file an inquiry. That sped things up, but the quality suffered. They granted me 30% for my PTSD and deferred everything else (chronic sinus infections, headaches, joint pain, bi-lateral muscular deffiencies in my legs). By April 2012 I finally got a letter back stating that they were denying my claim for Undiagnosed Illness due to the fact that there was nothing in my military medical files indicating that I had incurred these problems while serving in the Corps. I had supplied them with my medical records dating back for the past 10 years indicating my ongoing and increasing problems.
I filed my NOD regarding the PTSD. During the past few months I have been attempting to work, but have been unable. I am having my employer submit letters indicating my inability to work. During this time my VSO quit and went over to another agency. So, I'm basically handling everything myself. I still have the American Legion as my VSO, but they are short-handed and I have NEVER heard anything from them.
Regardless, I'm forging ahead and plan on taking my claim as far forward as I need to. My PTSD hasn't gotten any better despite the several medications. The meds help with the symptoms, but from what I know, there is no cure for PTSD. The other claims, I could care less about. As a Marine I am willing to suck it up and deal with them. It's the PTSD that has ruined my life. I have lost my job, and have had to go to family counseling because of this sh*t.
There is hope though. I honestly believe that I will win this fight with or without help.

CplD4EvR
11-21-12, 04:56 PM
This report has hurt me(as it does whenever I hear of another one of my Brother's giving his life), but has also helped me more than anything has in my past. I cannot thank you enough for writing it for all to read. May God bless you with comfort for you pain and give you peace for the rest of your life down here. God, Country, Corps. Semper Fi...

Charles Weidman
11-21-12, 05:34 PM
Had my physical a couple of weeks ago about my Agent Orange claim on my heart and my diabetes problems. Doctor said I qualified (whatever that meant) and also found a serious A-Fib condition. Saw my cardiologist and he's going to do a procedure on the 7th of December to try and get my heart rythym regulated. Right now the top (my heart) is just fluttering and I feel tired constantly and winded. Scar tissue from my original heart attack is still present so hopefully, we can get my claim approved without too much more delay as it's been over a year so far. Was supposed to have had a decision back in May/June of this year, but we know how the government works don't we? Hurry up and wait as usual. Total BS if you ask me. Seems some civilian can't put his coffee cup and donut down long enough to do the deed.

CplD4EvR
11-21-12, 05:43 PM
I really appreciate the fact that a Service Rep would invite more work than you already have! I'm in TN, my regional office is Nashville, so we're a good piece apart. But I would like to take you...

CplD4EvR
11-21-12, 05:48 PM
spotts, I wrote what I thought was reply to your volunteering to help, but it got put in without being sent specifically for you. It's the CplD4EvR, long reply.

Rocky C
11-21-12, 05:56 PM
Military Medical Records.

Click the link Brothers.

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/medical-records.html

rufus1
11-21-12, 05:58 PM
Well another marriage has floated under the bridge. I do not think they will be a third!!!!! I will just sit here with my dogs and watch TV and eat. The bad thing is she left me with all the bills. Most of the things I owe for is things that she wanted and like a fool I got them for her and now she is gone and I have them. Not a good time to put things up for sale. The last one took me five years to break even - may be ten years on this one. Went to the North Carolina service officer and signed the paperwork that I was seperated so the can take her off my VA Disability payments.

William Hardy
11-22-12, 07:57 AM
When I came back from Iraq in 2007 with the Army National Guard, we were assisted in making VA claims by a group of former servicemen. They said they wanted everyone to fill out the paperwork so that there would be a paper trail in case we wanted to file for claims in the future. I took their advice. When I got back home, I received a letter from the VA to visit the VA Hospital in Memphis for a physical. Afterwards, I was given some medication for back pain and ointment for a rash I picked up in Iraq. I have remained in the VA system for the past 5 years getting a physical and other treatment on a regular basis. A couple of weeks ago my VA doctor said he wanted to look into my civilian doctors diagnosis of high blood sugar. He said that according to the symptoms I described, I might be "glucose intolerant due to exposure to Agent Orange in Vietnam. He said it was basically the same as diabetes except the cause is external. He asked me if I served in an area where Agent Orange was used. How do I prove that? Does the military have records of where it was used? How do I prove I was there? I was stationed at Danang Air Base with HQ 1st MAW. I was a courier for part of my time and made the "midnight run" from Danang to Red Beach to FLC through Happy Valley to 1st MarDiv, down the road past Freedom Hill to I Corps HQ on the river and back to the air base. How do I prove Agent Orange was present and how do I prove I was in those places on many occasions since it does not appear in any of my military records?

Funny how none of this was recorded from my early days, yet VA seems overly concerned about it now. What else could have affected my health from Iraq...exposure to sand storms...the burning of oil from a near by smoke stack...the non-potable water we used for bathing and washing vehicles? Is Agent Orange both a fast and slow working agent on health?

Anyway, how do I get proof? Will VA actually help? If it is true, I would like my fair share of help. If not, I am sure I can get by just like everyone else, but it would be nice to see an increase in my military pension. I guess time will tell.

Zulu 36
11-22-12, 08:22 AM
When I came back from Iraq in 2007 with the Army National Guard, we were assisted in making VA claims by a group of former servicemen. They said they wanted everyone to fill out the paperwork so that there would be a paper trail in case we wanted to file for claims in the future. I took their advice. When I got back home, I received a letter from the VA to visit the VA Hospital in Memphis for a physical. Afterwards, I was given some medication for back pain and ointment for a rash I picked up in Iraq. I have remained in the VA system for the past 5 years getting a physical and other treatment on a regular basis. A couple of weeks ago my VA doctor said he wanted to look into my civilian doctors diagnosis of high blood sugar. He said that according to the symptoms I described, I might be "glucose intolerant due to exposure to Agent Orange in Vietnam. He said it was basically the same as diabetes except the cause is external. He asked me if I served in an area where Agent Orange was used. How do I prove that? Does the military have records of where it was used? How do I prove I was there? I was stationed at Danang Air Base with HQ 1st MAW. I was a courier for part of my time and made the "midnight run" from Danang to Red Beach to FLC through Happy Valley to 1st MarDiv, down the road past Freedom Hill to I Corps HQ on the river and back to the air base. How do I prove Agent Orange was present and how do I prove I was in those places on many occasions since it does not appear in any of my military records?

Funny how none of this was recorded from my early days, yet VA seems overly concerned about it now. What else could have affected my health from Iraq...exposure to sand storms...the burning of oil from a near by smoke stack...the non-potable water we used for bathing and washing vehicles? Is Agent Orange both a fast and slow working agent on health?

Anyway, how do I get proof? Will VA actually help? If it is true, I would like my fair share of help. If not, I am sure I can get by just like everyone else, but it would be nice to see an increase in my military pension. I guess time will tell.

According to the information I was given when I applied for the VA's Agent Orange registry, merely serving in Vietnam is considered to have exposed you to AO. I didn't think I served in an area that had heavy AO use. I have since learned that it was actually one of the heaviest exposure areas due to the use of the base as a loading point for dispersal aircraft and heavy use around the base (Bien Hoa in III Corps).

Type II Diabetes is considered an AO caused disease for Vietnam vets.

Check with your VA hospital service officer and see if you can get on the AO Registry. It involves a physical, blood work, and a medical/combat zone history. I was OK at the time of my AO physical (about four years ago), but I'm starting to have blood sugar issues now.

If the AO physical determines you have Type II Diabetes, you can start the paperwork to get it declared service connected and receive the appropriate compensation.

William Hardy
11-22-12, 10:43 AM
Thanks for that info. Maybe I will get consideration then.

Rocky C
11-22-12, 11:25 AM
Gunny, <br />
The next time you go to the VA Hospital ask to see a DAV Rep. <br />
He will get you on the AO Registry and file the paperwork for you for a Service Connected Claim for AO at no charge. <br />
<br />
The DAV...

Ray Harvey
11-25-12, 10:01 AM
I want to the local office to do paper work on a issue at a duty station and she said my paperwork was in correct, I laughed and said to her you need glasses its says were I served than she want and got someone else and said I was kicked out the Marines, Now I got a fight going on with the Marines and my Congressman.....

William Hardy
11-25-12, 11:50 AM
Who are you Ray? There is a Ray Harvey in Trenton NJ, but nothing here makes sense. Your profile says you went to college yet your post reflects an elementary school writing ability. I will take I want to mean I went, but if you graduated from high school and went to college, you should know that incorrect is one word, not two. The run on sentences show a lack of grammar knowledge. You are either on "not so bright college graduate" or you are a poser.

Ray Harvey
11-26-12, 05:43 PM
I do have college after the service and if you have to know its Always been a problem, however my papers thanks to computers always got good grades...

GyRiggsjw
10-08-13, 02:50 PM
I am in process of getting health records. I retired in 2004, but do to some mix-up, never recieved an out physical. I have some service connected health issues. Any words of wisdom?

Rocky C
10-08-13, 03:39 PM
Yes, contact your local DAV Rep ASAP. <br />
They will help you with your claims process at no charge and if have not already, enroll at your local VA Hospital for your healthcare. <br />
<br />
Best of luck and...

Dawg0811
10-08-13, 07:10 PM
If not the DAV, find your local Veteran Service Rep. Their job is to help you fill out your claim. The DAV will be your representative. The VSR is like a clerk that types up your papers. Your DAV rep is like your attorney. Once you have your claim filed be prepared to wait. You should get an envelope in the mail informing you that they have received your claim. Keep in touch with your DAV Rep. Since your got out in '04, it will take them a LONG time to process your claim. The vets leaving active duty are getting priority right now. I got my first decision at about 8 months. I got my appeal decision at 2 years. Good Luck!

HM3 Doc Wilder
10-09-13, 12:44 AM
​Wow,I used to write better.Ha

daughterofVMA22
08-12-15, 11:59 AM
Any suggestions for children of vets who were exposed (Chu Lai Oct 1964- Oct 1965) who have conditions outside the VA's list? There are many, many of us with the same conditions.