PDA

View Full Version : Finally

dizark
10-22-08, 04:56 PM
Ok, got a call from the Gunnery Sgt at my recruiting office. I was approved by BUMED to enlist, and will be going down to MEPS (hour and a half drive) tomorrow at 330am. Do a quick Med Inspect (as my physical was over 30 days ago), and do the liason stuff then swear in.

I'm so excited right now. Gunnery Sgt says as of right now it looks like I'd be shipping to PI around Jan 5th, unless somethings comes up.

Once I'm officially enlisted, I will come home on here and change my status to Poolee/DEP and be excited even more.

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-22-08, 05:48 PM
Congrats, glad you could get it taken care of.

dizark
10-22-08, 06:03 PM
Can anyone tell me what the Med Inspect consists of? I know it's not the whole physical again (I had the whole physical done mid September), but just want to know what to expect tomorrow.

Pete0331
10-22-08, 06:32 PM
Can anyone tell me what the Med Inspect consists of? I know it's not the whole physical again (I had the whole physical done mid September), but just want to know what to expect tomorrow.

Expect a urine test at the minimum.

dizark
10-22-08, 06:33 PM
not worried about the urine test as I don't do drugs. :P

Not even worried about the inspect, but was more interested in what is involved with it.

sparkie
10-22-08, 06:44 PM
Bend over,,,, they'll be looking for matchbox cars. LOL[Sorry, had a couple, feeling like Homer Simpson]. OMG,,,, You're a Gold Member??? And not even Depped??? Don't I feel like shet,,,,,,,,,,,,
Quit your worrying, If your recruter ain't worried, Don't sweat it. Oh. Yea, You're not worried,, Just courious. I suspect they will look at your file, and check things that will justify their jobs, Hurry up and wait, Dammit. Best o luck to ya and,,,,,Congrats.

Nicd
10-22-08, 07:10 PM
Just a long day. Typical physical. Eye test, hearing test, blood test, urine test, spread your cheeks test. You gotta do certain movements with a bunch of other ppl in the room. Duck walk, walk on your heels; bunch of easy stuff.

dizark
10-22-08, 07:20 PM
Nicd, I was told it wasn't going to be the full physical. I had that done last month. This will just be an inspect.

After some googling, I found that the med inspect consists of height and weight. I knew the phys was only good for 30 days while waiting on waivers, but once depped, the phys is good for 2 years.

AaronJM1984
10-22-08, 07:51 PM
I never had to spread my cheeks when I went to MEPS (2 months ago). Guess I am just lucky, unless I develop a problem down there that could've been found sooner.

You'd think the doctor would've definately checked me since I am older than most wannabes (24).

dizark
10-22-08, 08:04 PM
The spreadem' thing is harmless. It's a quick peek for like 2-5 seconds and then it's done.

MrRobert
10-22-08, 09:23 PM
Wow, I felt violated when I was told spreadem, what you consider harmless, I consider well, not very good.

Pete0331
10-22-08, 09:41 PM
The spreadem' thing is harmless. It's a quick peek for like 2-5 seconds and then it's done.

I don't remember doing that. Believe me that's not something you forget. :scared:

You must be a drug waiver. :marine:

JWMoore
10-22-08, 09:42 PM
If you already had your physical all you will do is get your weight then they will ask you if anything has changed since your physical, sign some papers, and swear in. Then you have to set and wait at least thats what I did. I also leave on January 5th.

lagrand
10-22-08, 10:31 PM
I went for a full physical somewhere in the middle of June and then returned to MEPS in August for an Inspect (and a psych consul to send up to BUMED). The inspect consists of a lot of waiting. While all the other DEPers are getting physicals and all the shippers are getting their stuff squared away, you are sitting and waiting. You get height/weight, you talk to the doctor, talk to your liason. While waiting, they allowed me to get chow and I took da*n near forever to eat so I didn't have to waste my time back in the waiting room. Good luck.

- Jacob

Jyates383
10-22-08, 11:10 PM
Congrats on getting approved by Bumed. I too am waiting on Bumed to approve a shoulder surgery I had a while back. Recruitor got word it has finally reached someone's desk and they have 10 business days to approve or deny it. Stay motto, your almost there.

dizark
10-23-08, 05:56 PM
Might I ask that I now have my status changed to Poolee/DEP. As of now, the computer stats my ship date to bootcamp will be Jan 5, 2009. I'm so excited! (I changed my thing to poolee in my control panel, which it shows it now, however I need the little icon with the guy doing pushups :P) Thanks in advance.

It was a LONG day at MEPS. I had to wait for my dependent waiver to come through from the General who had to sign off on it. I got up at 300am, left with the Cpl who was driving me, got there and didn't leave MEPS until about 430pm. Lots of sitting around and what not.

Inspect was simple. Height weight, line up in a row, show front and back of hands, grit teeth, hold right ankle up behind us and left ankle up behind us.

0231Marine
10-24-08, 06:43 AM
You're going to have to learn military time!

yellowwing
10-24-08, 07:30 AM
Its a long 2-5 seconds! :scared:

thezero
10-24-08, 10:09 AM
Dude don't worry about MEPS, you won't have to do much. When I went 2 weeks ago I got to the hotel at 0100 and woke up at 0400. You sit around, do a couple test, urinate etc etc and in all honestly you don't need to worry about it.

dizark
10-24-08, 10:55 AM
thezero, I explained that I had already done all of the main physical back in September and that this was just an inspect, which I also explained what it did actually consist of.

I'm excited. I have an actual ship date which is amazing.