PDA

View Full Version : Local Run To Support Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund

thedrifter
10-22-08, 05:37 AM
10/22/2008
Local Run To Support Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund
By Erin Maguire, The Bulletin

Inspired to help wounded Marines and their families, five men will run from Philadelphia to Washington, D.C. to raise money for Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund (IMSFF) beginning Oct. 22. They will start at the New Hall Military Museum and run 37.8 miles per day before entering the Marine Corps Marathon in Arlington, Va., Sunday. This first annual race, Esprit De Corps Ultra, will cover a total of 177.5 miles.

"I was just coming off of a previous 50-mile run in April which I failed to complete," Gunnery Sgt. Dennis Miranda, Esprit De Corps Ultra organizer, said of his motivation. "After that I started to think of what I could do next."

Just before the fifth anniversary of combat operations in Iraq, Gunnery. Sgt. Miranda learned from a newspaper article that the death toll for servicemen there exceeded 4,000. He then came across IMSFF, and after researching its mission, knew the purpose of his next race.

"I was quickly inspired by what the founder, Karen Guenther, created, all by herself in the beginning, to what is now an awesome fundraising effort," he said.

Established in 2004 in response to Mrs. Guenther's Iraq service, IMSFF offers family support and physical, emotional and mental rehabilitation for injured Marines. In four years, IMSFF has provided over 8,000 grants totaling over $21 million to injured Marines, injured service members assigned to Marine forces and their families.

Andrew Strohecker and Joe Garcia, both non-active Marines in Baltimore and Brandon Richardson and Gunnery Sgt. Jimmy Shields, both active Marines in Virginia and Missouri, will join Gunnery Sgt. Miranda in Esprit De Corps Ultra. While four of the five met in a 50-mile race last year, Gunnery Sgt. Shields decided to join the team after he read an article about it in the Marine Corps Times.

So far, the men have raised $8,545 for IMSFF and will continue to collect donations online at www.1775.weebly.com until Nov. 10, the birthday of the Marines.

Locally, Paul Corbett, whose brother and two sons are active Marines, helped the team raise funds. He has collected money for IMSFF at his ice cream stand Twistee Treat for the past two summers, but this year he published "Sponsor the Mile" posters to promote Esprit De Corps Ultra's inaugural run as well. The posters were displayed at VFWs and other businesses and encouraged people to pay $5 per mile in support of IMSFF.

"These guys have given everything: arms, limbs, whatever was asked of them," Mr. Corbett said. "We should be doing everything we can to help them."

But not everyone sees their responsibility to help he said. Mr. Corbett noted that recently a woman approached him saying, "I don't think the government's doing enough for these injured groups." He countered, "What are you doing?"

"The government does a lot, but they have to draw the line," Mr. Corbett said. "They support wives of married men in the Marines, but they can't support parents, grandparents and the guys need that extra support."

Tomorrow, a presentation of colors will start the Esprit De Corps Ultra ceremony at 9 a.m. A Marine band from Virginia will then play the national anthem and Mrs. Guenther will explain IMSFF. Major General Tom Jones from Virginia, who is inspired by Esprit De Corps Ultra, will discuss his support of the group as the guest speaker.

A bugler will play Taps in remembrance of those fallen and Navy Chaplain Richard Butler from Willow Grove will end the ceremony with prayer. At 10 a.m. the runners will begin their journey.

While none of the men running have had to use IMSFF, the thought of the families who do receive its help is what will get them through the race Gunnery Sgt. Miranda said.

"Quitting is definitely not an option," he said, "because we'll be thinking about those injured service members we're trying to help."

Erin Maguire can be reached at emaguire@thebulletin.us

Ellie