PDA

View Full Version : Marines open office in Woodbury

thedrifter
10-22-08, 05:27 AM
Marines open office in Woodbury
Hank Long
Woodbury Bulletin - 10/22/2008

The few, the proud and now the first.

The United States Marine Corps recently became the only branch of the military to open a recruiting office in Woodbury.

The U.S. Marines Career Center is located in the Tamarack Hills development, and for Sgt. Dustin Jewell the timing couldn’t be better.

Jewell, a Woodbury resident, has been recruiting in town for the last year and a half, but until the Woodbury office opened this summer, his office was based in West St. Paul.

“It’s a pretty nice commute,” said Jewell, who is one of the recruiting officers for the Marines in the east metro.

Why Woodbury? Because it’s a community that has demonstrated the desire to serve, said Capt. Jason Quehl, who oversees recruiting stations in the Twin Cities Command Group, which is based at Fort Snelling.

“It’s definitely a larger and growing market,” Quehl said. “But we’ve noticed that in Woodbury, people have demonstrated a high interest in military service.”

The quality of the schools in Woodbury and its surrounding communities was also a draw for the Twins Cities Command Group to open the new career center, said Quehl, who added that 95 percent of the Marines enlistments are traditional high school graduates, the highest percentage of the four military branches.

Sgt. Jewell said the stats bear it out.

“Woodbury really is a great community for developing men and women who make great Marines,” Jewell said. “The main thing the career center provides is a visual for those who are interested to come on in and find out more whether the Marines is a career for them.

“We’ve always been here in Woodbury, working with the high school to show what opportunities we have offer, but now we have that physical space, I think it’s going to work out great.”

Local ‘poolee’

Count Michael Medina as one of the recent enlistees, a “poolee,” as the Marines refer to new recruits.

Medina is in his senior year at Woodbury High School and he said he’s excited to serve his country after officially signing on the dotted line in February.

“This is something I’ve always wanted to do since I was 12,” said Medina, who currently participates in the Woodbury High School Air Force Jr. ROTC program. “I want the honor of serving my country.”

As a poolee Medina keeps in close touch with Sgt. Jewell about his school work and participates with other enlistees from the area in community events and team building activities.

“We play paintball, run 5Ks, just put ourselves out there for each other and in the community,” Medina said.

Jewell said the poolee activities allow the participants to get a sense of the teamwork they will need once they enter boot camp and become full members of the Marines.

“This is definitely a career choice for people that are interested in teamwork,” Jewell said.

“We’re the smallest branch of the military, but we really do pride ourselves on teamwork. We’re looking for the men and women with that type of experience and drive.

“Whether they participated in sports, Jr. ROTC, band or the FFA, students who are interested in those sorts of activities are who we look for.”

Jewell said he’s still getting acquainted to his new Tamarack Hills office and plans to continue to make the rounds in the Woodbury business community.

“I’m all about shaking the hands and kissing the babies,” he said.

“It’s my job to find the young men and women out there who might be interested in the Marines, but it’s also my job to be a member of this community and make sure other businesses in town know what the Marine Corps is really about.”

Ellie