PDA

View Full Version : Beirut Memorial draws visitors for many reasons

thedrifter
10-22-08, 03:48 AM
Beirut Memorial draws visitors for many reasons

October 21, 2008 - 6:20PM
MOLLY K. DEWITT

It is a reverent spot inside a bustling city.

Since its dedication in 1986, people have visited the Beirut Memorial for a variety of reasons.

Some are drawn by curiosity.

"I just wanted to read the names and visit ... I guess it's our history," said Pfc. Michael Sampson who visited the memorial for the first time this weekend.

Others come for inspiration.

"It's motivating, it makes me proud to be a Marine, it makes me proud of what I'm doing for my country," said Pfc. Jason Haun, also a first-time visitor.

Most come to the wooded corner of Lejeune Boulevard and Montford Point Road to pay their respects to those who lost their lives in the 1983 bombing of the Marine barracks in Beirut, Lebanon.

For many, it's personal.

Henry Wigglesworth's brother Lance Cpl. Dwayne Wigglesworth perished in the bombing. Henry and 40 of his family members are visiting Jacksonville this week in honor of the 25th anniversary of the bombing.

"We come down just about every year, it's very important to us," Henry said. "It's a place to come ... it's a way of honoring those that were killed in Beirut."

Mark Wigglesworth never got the chance to meet his great-uncle Dwayne but said he respects his memory.

"It's a great experience, I think it's beautiful what they did for them," Mark said of the memorial. "I'm kind of excited. Just seeing his name up there just brings a chill."

The silver anniversary of the bombing has inspired some to visit the memorial for the first time.

Larry Boehme of Jacksonville said he and his wife have driven by the memorial numerous times and never stopped. After reading a recent story in The Daily News that featured The Peacekeeper statue they felt the time had come.

"We turned in to see the statue and kind of show our respect for everyone involved," Boehme said.

Boehme, who served in the Army, said the statue's likeness is precise.

"Having had a uniform like that - it's pretty accurate," he said.

For some, the memorial not only serves as a reminder of lives lost, but also of the dangers present day Marines face.

Claire and Bob Wunder of Sneads Ferry visited the memorial earlier this week and said they thought of their Marine son, due to return from deployment to Afghanistan.

"We know he has been in harms way a number of times," said Claire Wunder. "It's just a tribute to the young men that died ... you think about their families."

Visitors often leave mementoes behind. The items are collected and cataloged by members of the facilities office at Marine Corps Combat Service Support School aboard Camp Johnson.

"They'll be collected up when they start to get too weathered ... we collect it and bring it over to supply who will then photograph the item, catalogue and box it up," said Sgt. Lawrence Murray with MCCSSS. "If someone wanted proof that they had left something they're free to come on base and pull up that catalog."

Murray said photographs and flower arrangements are some of the more common items left at the memorial as well as dog tags, medals and other personal trinkets.

"It's hard to think about because those are fallen Marines but it's good to see that people are paying tribute to them," said Murray.

Contact Jacksonville/Onslow government reporter Molly DeWitt at 910-219-8455 or mdewitt@freedomenc.com. Click here for more stories, photos and videos related to the Beirut bombing anniversary.

Ellie