View Full Version : What are your most vivid memories of Korea

pi 53
10-22-08, 01:04 AM
Mine are DMZ duty - H&S-3-11

1 Unbelievable freezing cold
2 Rats as big as cats knawing on our tin lined radio bunker
3 No cats or dogs at all because the starving Koreans ate them
4 Woman and children emptying and eating out of our garbage cans
5 A Turk unit next to us all had full beards and cut off enemy ears as a prize. They were real bad asses.
6 Very little vegatation or trees left and Seoul a bombed out ruin
7 Walking post on radio hill was guard duty from Hell

Kegler300
10-22-08, 04:20 AM
Cold, and so dark at night, you couldn't see your hand in front of your face.

pi 53
10-22-08, 10:08 PM
Cold, and so dark at night, you couldn't see your hand in front of your face.

How did you get to Korea? All the 1st mar div marines left in 1955 and I don't know of any other Marines there. I thought the Army were doing all
the DMZ duty from then to now. Semper Fi

Kegler300
10-23-08, 05:04 AM
I was there for about two months in 1978 for Team Spirit.

pi 53
10-24-08, 09:52 PM
I was there for about two months in 1978 for Team Spirit.
Kegler300 Thanks for the information. I wasn't aware of of that. I thought we would have had Marine embassy guards only.
Semper Fi - pi 53
"You had an awesome 30 yr. career" :thumbup:

Old Marine
10-26-14, 02:05 PM
Things that I remember.

Colder than a witch's teat.
Rats a big as Jack Rabbits.
Seemed like every time a North Korean touched the Imjin River we went on alert.
Red Cross going into our mess hall during an alert and bringing them out to the tank park and selling them to us.

elliscraig12
10-26-14, 09:24 PM
My last night of TS 90 it was cold, wet, windy and we had no wet weather gear, just field jackets. Watching our ship pull up the next morning was a sight for sore eyes.

Old Marine
10-27-14, 09:32 AM
Post #6. I am talking about donuts the Red Cross got from the mess hall. Sorry about that.

I enjoyed the Thermo Boots (Mickey Mouse Boots) we had. Worked well as long as you kept moving, but if you stopped, your feet froze pretty quick from the sweat.

mexbearlll
10-28-14, 12:17 AM
Does great' liberty' ever 3rd night count ? Shucks all You guys talked about was work and weather.

FistFu68
10-28-14, 03:11 AM
GodBless You ole HardChargers my PaPa was a US Army lifer did that Korean War I was 2..,the1st time i remember him the next time I remember seeing him I was maybe 5 he just seemed sooo Different he...

elliscraig12
10-30-14, 12:00 PM
Does great' liberty' ever 3rd night count ? Shucks all You guys talked about was work and weather.Had a lot of great liberty. First stop was the Marine House for a hot shower and some hot grub, then a little shopping and then off to the bars for a few cold ones and say hello to the fine ladies of the night.

Old Marine
10-30-14, 09:28 PM
No liberty, but we did get one week R&R to Kobe, Japan in my 13 months there.

chulaivet1966
10-30-14, 10:57 PM
Things that I remember. Colder than a witch's teat.
Rats a big as Jack Rabbits. Seemed like every time a North Korean touched the Imjin River we went on alert.

My dad knew a Chosin Vet whom I'd had some conversation with when I was 15/16 years old.
He told me about having to pvss on their weapons (IIRC...M1's) to help keep them from freezing up.
I'd have chosen the SE Asian jungle anytime over that frigid, unforgiving wartime temperature.

You old salts are the best....Respect.
Carry on.
clv