PDA

View Full Version : Changing my Mind

SirRoundSound
10-21-08, 12:47 AM
Hey Marines, I need your help again!

I swore into service on 20080826, and my recruiter succeeded in securing me an 03XX slot as I had requested. But before he dropped me off at my house that day, he made it as clear as he could that it was not too late to change my job.

Normally, I would holdfast by my decision that I made, but there was one thing I hadn't counted on before making my decision: I scored high on the ASVAB. I scored 77 overall. My recruiter thinks this is a pretty big deal, and he told me that with that score, I could have a shot at any job in the Marine Corps. This newfound understanding of my potential has motivated me, although a little late, to perhaps examine other career options.

A couple of weeks ago, my recruiter had an infantry Marine call me who had just finished his second tour in Iraq. This Marine told me that I would be doing a greater service to myself and to the Corps by considering other fields where I can truly apply my potential.

Before I continue, I would like to mention that however I end up serving the Corps, I will be honored and proud to be given the opportunity to wear the uniform and stand as a member of the Marine Corps. I would still be happy to enter the Infantry field, and damned proud to become a Marine.

That being said, I want to be as fulfilling to the Corps as the Corps will be fulfilling to me. This has led me to examine exactly what made me want to become a Marine in the first place.

I don't remember what it was that made me wonder how the United States kept its embassies and assets abroad safe, but I do remember reading in reverence about the United States Marines, standing in noble discipline under the eye of the world, letting every American within know that they are safe and letting every enemy without know that they have their work cut out for them if they dare try anything. I wanted to be that disciplined, and that noble, and I wanted to protect my people under the eye of the world. I understand that all Marines from every field can generally fit these criteria. But nothing would make me feel so fulfilled as standing post in such a manner.

I know that I dream of embassy duty, and I know that that is a B billet, and one of the most desirable jobs in the Marine Corps. I would love to one day become a Marine Security Guard and stand post abroad, but what on earth would I do before I would be eligible for embassy duty? Or, worse yet, what would I do if I never got a shot at embassy duty, or don't "make the cut"?

Naturally, I don't want to pin my dreams on a B billet that I might not get, or have to wait a long time for. So I looked into Security Forces, and there are things that I like that appeal to my original interests, even in some ways more than embassy duty: I can enter the Marine Corps with a Security Forces contract and I still get to be a guard, doing much of the same that I would expect as a Marine Security Guard at an embassy.

But there are certain things I don't like. My first concern is that Security Forces is not a primary MOS, but a secondary one. I understand that this designation would make it very difficult -if not impossible- for me to obtain another B billet in the future (such as my dream job: embassy duty). I also understand that Security Forces is a five year contract, only half of which is served in the Security Forces - the other half being served in the fleet under an 03XX primary MOS. I am not interested in entering and training as a guard and finishing my term as a grunt - I would rather be one or the other. My final concern is that I have heard that Security Forces do not actually stand post and function as guards in the same manner that Marine Security Guards do, despite descriptions I have read about this MOS.

I suppose what I'm looking for is a primary MOS, or other entry option, in which my duties would be standing guard and maintaining the security of wherever it is I am stationed. I hope this is a realistic ideal, but if not, are there any ways I can work with the above options to get closer to my dream? I just want to achieve my potential and serve the Corps as best I can.

No matter what, I will still be honored to become a United States Marine.

Thanks for taking the time to read! I look forward to hearing from you all.

Diep
10-21-08, 01:08 AM
I think you should reconsider working in the infantry field. Trust me alot of grunts that I know that do have that high of an asvab score are kicking themselves right now for not doing a different occupation in the marine corps. Like that marine said to you it would be doing the marine corps a favor. Also any B billet (Embassy Duty) you are able to do reguardless of MOS just volunteer for it.

yellowwing
10-21-08, 03:38 AM
If you are cool with every little detail of all the stupid stuff you ever did, then go for Embassy Duty. Those background investigators know their stuff and will find everything.

If I was shooting for Embassy Duty, I'd like to have the grunt skills and training. Or maybe even Combat Engineer.

TJR1070
10-21-08, 10:25 AM
First of all I think the point of those Marines that talked to you was to look at all the different MOS', not just the obvious one's. With that being said if you want to be an Infantry Marine then go for it. However sometimes when we are young we really don't know what we want. I enlisted on an open contract (thinking I was going to the 03 field) and was given 5711 which at the time I was not too happy about. However it turned out to be a better experience that I ever could have hoped for. So think about where you would like to be and what you would like to be doing when you get out of the Corps and then see if any MOS' fit or compliment that goal. Look at all the MOS' that hold some appeal to you anf try to resarch the daily duties of that MOS. There are alot of Marines on this site that are in fields other than 03 and I bet they would all love to share their knowledge of their MOS. Do some work and some real soul searching and then come to a decision about which career path to take inide our Corps. Every Marine is a rifleman but not every Marine is a ......... you fill in the blank.

KawiGunny
10-21-08, 02:33 PM
Do whatever your heart leads you towards. I scored 114 when I took the test and I went infantry because that is what I wanted. They told me the same thing. Even talked to me about becoming an officer. But 20+ years later, I retired and have no regrets about my service to our Corps and Country. If I had it all to do over again I would still take the same path I took back then. Semper Fi

Isrowei
10-21-08, 03:08 PM
I agree with the Gunny. Do a job that you will be happy doing. People naturally perform better when they enjoy what they do. In the end, find a job that is a good fit for YOU regardless of the minimum score needed.

teufelhunden17
10-21-08, 08:36 PM
Go for a MOS that YOU think you would enjoy and would be fulfilling. You can apply for any B billet from any MOS for you will receive the training needed for that B Billet if accepted or assigned. They only exception may be I & I. While the 03 field would probably prepare you better for todays Embassies, it's not required.

:flag:

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-21-08, 09:25 PM
First, some of the smartest Marines I've ever known were in the infantry. I know of doctors, lawyers, and engineers that were all Marine Corps infantry. It is an old sea story that grunts are dumb, it simply isn't true. (Just ask the machine gunners that did the math to figure out how to turn their guns into indirect fire weapons!)

Everyone is right, you need to do what you want to do. I'm one of the fortunate few that got jerked around when it came to my MOS and ended up loving my time in the Marine Corps. Most people that end up somewhere other than where they want to be are pretty miserable.

As for MSG duty and the like, you can do that- I know Marines from many fields that went to try. Some made it, some didn't. The school is difficult, the background check is very detailed, and some just figure out it isn't for them. It is best to wait until you're in position to try things like that before you worry too much about them.

Meltabarger
10-22-08, 09:19 AM
Before considering MSG duty you will have to have an MOS and at least one year on station. So you are talking about probably two years. I was an MSG and it took me six years to finally get my CO to agree to "allow" me to volunteer. The basic requirements are spelled out in the order but there are other things you will have to consider. MSG Duty is one of if not the best B billet in the Corps. You will see things and be in some of the most fantastic places on the planet. You will also need to keep your record clean. The school has one of the highest attrition rates in all the Marine Corps schools. Once on the program you are on your own. You will be making decisions on a daily and sometimes hourly basis that will affect your career and others lives. If you complete your tour of duty as an MSG, you will always be one of the top 10% of the finest fighting force in the world.

Enigmatic
10-22-08, 10:08 AM
It's good that you've decided to look into other MOS'es but don't count the grunts out just yet. Some of the smartest people, let alone Marines, I've ever met are grunts, and damn proud of it. I even knew a Corporal once who was better-educated (school-wise) than his platoon commander, had his Masters Degree and all.

Like the Gunny and LT said, pick something that'll make you happy. In the end that should be your goal.

yellowwing
10-22-08, 11:05 AM
Before considering MSG duty you will have to have an MOS and at least one year on station. So you are talking about probably two years. I was an MSG and it took me six years to finally get my CO to agree to "allow" me to volunteer. The basic requirements are spelled out in the order but there are other things you will have to consider. MSG Duty is one of if not the best B billet in the Corps. You will see things and be in some of the most fantastic places on the planet. You will also need to keep your record clean. The school has one of the highest attrition rates in all the Marine Corps schools. Once on the program you are on your own. You will be making decisions on a daily and sometimes hourly basis that will affect your career and others lives. If you complete your tour of duty as an MSG, you will always be one of the top 10% of the finest fighting force in the world.

Thanks for stepping up Marine.

willjr75
10-22-08, 12:46 PM
Go with what your heart tells you. If you want to be a Grunt, than just do it. You may regret it later if you end up in another MOS. I've always wanted to be a Grunt when I was in high school but my father talked me out of it. He was a 0351 in Vietnam and was just looking out for the safety of his son. I don't blame him. He went through some rough times back than. I ended up being an Engineer in a Support Battalion and was kicking myself for not going Infantry. I ended up volunteering for a WestPac Float to get away from being stateside and ended up volunteering to remain with the 11th MEU for 2 additional floats extending my enlistment for another year just to go out again. When quotas would come up to be temporarily attached to infantry units while in the field, my hand was the first one up. When I got out of active I joined the Reserves with Weapons Co in NY. I felt like I really belonged there.

willjr75
10-22-08, 12:58 PM
Read this thread. This Marine shares the frustrations I felt back in the 90's of not going Infantry.

I left the Reserves in 98 and now I am trying to get back in the Reserves because it pains me to watch Marines on tv fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan while I'm sitting at home jerking off.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71273

bgsuwoody
10-22-08, 05:06 PM
I've said it once I'll say it again. I love being a grunt, but others may not want to, but do exactly what you want to do. If you don't you will be upset with yourself and you will not enjoy being a Marine. The job is hard enough as it is, but when the times get really tough, if you can't at least have said that that is what you wanted to be than whats the point anyways.

EvilFrawg
10-22-08, 07:51 PM
I am at 19 years right now and have been 0231 Intelligence for all of those years and let me tell you there are times that, like all Marines in non combat arms MOS's I think, That I wish I would have gone 03xx. Let me just give you the same advice I gave my son before he left. If the Marine Corps is a career choice for you go ahead and go infantry you can still lat move later there are plenty of former 03's in the Intel MOSs. If you just want to do your first enlistment and get out and us the Corps as a steping stone to better yourself chose a job that best suits you. I Love my MOS and will continue working in the same field after I retire just as a Mr. Do what you have some sort of passion for and you will do it well. Best for you, best for country and best for Corps