PDA

View Full Version : Thought this was interesting...

OB MSG
10-20-08, 09:41 AM
Sony game delayed over Quran gaffe

<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!--endclickprintinclude--><!--startclickprintinclude-->

Story Highlights<!-- google_ad_section_start -->
Release of PlayStation game "LittleBigPlanet" delayed
Fears use of Quran-based music lyrics may offend Muslims
Game is one of most hotly anticipated in past year <!-- google_ad_section_end --><!--startclickprintexclude--><script type="text/javascript"> if(window.location.pathname.indexOf('/2008/TECH/10/17/buckypaper.invention.ap/index.html')!=-1){ var nxtStryCSIMgr = CSIManager.getInstance().call('/.element/ssi/auto/2.0/sect/TECH/nextStory0.exclude.html','','cnnNextStoryCSI');} if(window.location.pathname.indexOf('/2008/TECH/science/10/20/future.airports/index.html')!=-1){ var nxtStryCSIMgr = CSIManager.getInstance().call('/.element/ssi/auto/2.0/sect/TECH/nextStory1.exclude.html','','cnnNextStoryCSI');} if(window.location.pathname.indexOf('/2008/TECH/ptech/10/20/littlebigplanet.delay/index.html')!=-1){ var nxtStryCSIMgr = CSIManager.getInstance().call('/.element/ssi/auto/2.0/sect/TECH/nextStory2.exclude.html','','cnnNextStoryCSI');} if(window.location.pathname.indexOf('/2008/TECH/science/09/23/what.matters.thirst/index.html')!=-1){ var nxtStryCSIMgr = CSIManager.getInstance().call('/.element/ssi/auto/2.0/sect/TECH/nextStory3.exclude.html','','cnnNextStoryCSI');} </script><iframe src="http://www.cnn.com/.element/ssi/auto/2.0/sect/TECH/nextStory2.exclude.html?&csiID=csi3" name="csiDataIframecsi3" id="csiDataIframecsi3" style="visibility: hidden; position: absolute; top: 0px; left: -100px;" height="10" width="10"></iframe>
<!--endclickprintexclude-->

<!--endclickprintinclude-->
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/img/2.0/global/1x1pixel.gif
<!--endclickprintexclude--><!--startclickprintexclude--> <!--endclickprintexclude--> LONDON, England (CNN) -- The release of one of the most hotly awaited computer games in the past year has been delayed over concerns some of the background music may offend Muslims.
<!--startclickprintexclude--> <!----><!--===========IMAGE============-->http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/TECH/ptech/10/20/littlebigplanet.delay/art.littlebig.jpg<!--===========/IMAGE===========--><!--===========CAPTION==========-->"LittleBigPlanet" has been delayed due to background music that Muslims may find offensive.<!--===========/CAPTION=========-->

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/img/2.0/mosaic/base_skins/baseplate/corner_wire_BL.gif

<!--endclickprintexclude--> "LittleBigPlanet," described by review Web site IGN.com as an "instant classic," has been pulled from warehouses after it was noticed that one of its music tracks contained words from the Islamic holy text, the Quran.
The move is a blow to the Sony PlayStation game, seen as the console's first launch of an icon to match Nintendo's ubiquitous Mario, in which rag doll character Sackboy negotiates a lavishly designed world of platforms and challenges.
"We're sure that most of you have heard by now that one of the background music tracks that was licensed from a record label for use in the game contains two expressions that can be found in the Quran," a statement on the game's Web site said.
"We have taken immediate action to rectify this and we sincerely apologize for any offense this may have caused."
It said the game, initially due for release earlier in the month, will now begin shipping in North America in the week of October 27.
A statement on the Web site of Media Molecule, the game's UK-based developer, said the company was "shellshocked and gutted" by the delay.
"At MM, we were as shocked and dismayed by this as anyone," it said.
__________________________________________________ ______________

Ok, I'm a bit of a gamer. I like video games, have since I was six, but I also know where to draw the line and go out to get some fresh air and all. But this just made me shake my head.

I really don't think they were worried that they might offend Muslims per se. I think they were worried that some freakin zealous nut with a suicide vest would come a knockin'.

Thoughts anyone?

YutYut
10-20-08, 04:06 PM
I'm sure it had more to do with the "bad publicity" they would receive from various groups who's feelers get hurt very easily. In any case, it's a f*cking retarded reason to delay a video game.

OB MSG
10-20-08, 04:15 PM
My thoughts exactly. As they said on this one website, "use the mute button!"