PDA

View Full Version : Contract Job in Iraq

egbutler1
10-20-08, 01:12 AM
I figured I would post this here just to get some feed back from other Marines. I am in the process of re-deploying to Iraq with a security company for 6 months. I will be making about 80k tax free for my time deployed. Which really beats what I made there as a Marine money wise. But I just wanted to know what my fellow Marines thought about taking up a contracting job in Iraq. I think it is honorable but at the same time I don't want to step all over other Marines making pennies compared to me making mass amounts of cash for the same job. Lemme know! SOUND OFF! OOH-RAH!

Cpl. Butler

Allmarine21
10-20-08, 08:05 AM
You should check your contract, according to the IRS, contractors have to do 335 consecutive days in the region to get the tax free break. You can not be out of the environment for more that a 2 week period at any one time. I know this because I have been a contractor in and out of theater since the beginning of the war and my pay is taxable, only because I go in for 2-4 months and home for 2-4 months on a continual basis supporting the Navy-Marine Corps Combat Trauma Registry program. My work directly relates to the advancement of the body armor, vehicle up armoring and most of all the surgical procedures documented to enhance the care provided to the service members.

Gunny

yellowwing
10-20-08, 08:07 AM
Altruistically, you've done your time, Bro. If you can get $80k go for it.

OB MSG
10-20-08, 08:27 AM
Just make sure your health insurance is paid up and they will cover you. The contract jobs that I've heard of make you get your own.

Other than that, be careful, earn what you can and make it home in one piece!

Osotogary
10-20-08, 09:03 AM
egbutler1-
I have a son who is currently doing contract work in Afghanistan or thereabouts. He has worked in that "general" area for a number of years. If you want I'll let him know about you or, better yet, PM me and I'll give you his e-mail address or the Company that he works for at this time.
There was a situation, explained to me very briefly, where a teammate had his finger shot off. How it was taken care of and at who's expense was not made clear but there was a gray area for medical and financial responsibility. OB MSG had some good advice.
Adios, for now.
Gary

Achped
10-20-08, 09:42 AM
Hey man, I would do it. Bring a girl with you, that seems to be the new gig lol

Allmarine21
10-20-08, 10:18 AM
My contract uses the DBSA (Defense Base) health insurance and life insurance, which is quite expensive. Also, the Medical Treatment facilities will treat civilian contractors for normal routine occasions, KBR, I believe has their own medical staff.

Most life insurance policies do not cover "War areas". If you have a personal policy, check with them. USBA, which I have, does not have a war clause.

Covey_Rider
10-20-08, 11:44 AM
Let me know how it goes. I've been putting a lot of thought into doing the same thing for some time now. I figured it would be an effective way of building up a nest egg at an early age.

YutYut
10-20-08, 04:04 PM
AllMarine21 put some info out there that's pretty important, financially. Even if you meet the requirements of the IRS, you only(HA!) walk away with up to a little over $84k tax free. Being a civilian and deploying is nothing like being in the military, as far as various tax benefits go.

Marine84
10-20-08, 07:33 PM
Wonder if a company would let me take my dog. Ya'll know I'm kidding - I had the oprotunity to sound like a poolee.

No $h!t dude, go for it. I think I could do it with a years supply of Zoloft with me. It would KILL me to have all that money sitting in the bank - what you gonna spend it on over there? Unless some lil raggdy a$$ old man comes up to you with a camel with rugs for sale stacked up on his back, I wouldn't think you could spend it on much of anything else.

Save it up and stop in Atlanta for a shopping spree - your layover needn't be 5 hours!

Allmarine21
10-21-08, 06:31 AM
Forget Atlanta, plan you layover in Copenhagen, visit the coffeee shops!!

Seriously, if you go, remember you are now just a contracted employee, and always show your respect to the troops, and don't play the money isssue with them.