PDA

View Full Version : AFN knows they can’t please everybody, but they try

thedrifter
10-19-08, 08:56 AM
AFN knows they can’t please everybody, but they try

By Cindy Fisher, Stars and Stripes
Pacific edition, Monday, October 20, 2008

"I kissed a girl and I liked it / the taste of her cherry ChapStick / I kissed a girl just to try it / I hope my boyfriend don’t mind it."

The lyrics to Katy Perry’s "I Kissed a Girl" can be heard on American Forces Network radio stations across Pacific bases. And for some, the lesbian reference is offensive.

"Every three to four months, a new song pops up that is popular in the States that we will play [and it] will offend certain people," said Gunnery Sgt. Jimmy Stare, acting station manager for AFN Okinawa.

Sometimes it’s parents complaining about songs with sexual innuendo or curse words, Stare said. Other times, he said, people simply say a particular song isn’t appropriate for a military radio station.

For others, it’s not a particular song, just the general music selection.

That’s why Air Force Staff Sgt. Samantha Smothers listens to CDs instead of the Wave, AFN Okinawa’s radio station. "Mostly it plays just a lot of music that I don’t listen to," said Smothers, who prefers hard rock.

In some locations, complaints are few and far between.

Using the music provided by the American Forces Radio and Television Service, AFN Korea has not received a complaint about music in more than a year, said AFN Korea commander Lt. Col. Michael T. Lawhorn.

Public complaints about inappropriate music are rare at Iwakuni Marine Corps Air Station, too, said Staff Sgt. Dustin Dunk, radio programming director at the base AFN station.

When complaints do roll in, Dunk and Stare said, they explain their station’s policy and how AFN affiliates acquire music from AFRTS (see related story).

AFN’s mission is to inform and entertain, Stare said. The way to reach its target audience of 18- to 24-year-old servicemembers is through current music that’s hot on the charts, he said.

And once music has been approved by AFRTS, it isn’t his policy to censor that music, Stare said, explaining why the Katy Perry song continues to run on his station.

"If I censored that song, then I would have to censor many other songs," Stare explained in a written response to complaints about the song. "For example, Little Wayne’s hit ‘Lollipop’ is a thinly veiled reference to oral sex. Mariah Carey’s last hit ‘Touch my Body’ was extremely blatant in its content. The Rolling Stones classic hit ‘Brown Sugar’ references slavery."

But not all AFN stations follow that way of thinking.

AFN Misawa in northern Japan has removed some songs from its rotation that its audience found objectionable, Petty Officer 1st Class James Stilipec said in an e-mail to Stars and Stripes. Examples include "Lolli Lolli (Pop That Body)" by Three 6 Mafia and "Get Like Me" by David Banner, Stilipec said.

"That being said, some of our music might still upset or offend listeners, but that can be said for all music," Stilipec said. "If we tried to satisfy absolutely everyone’s listening tastes, we wouldn’t be able to play anything at all."

At Sasebo, DJs play new music picks from the Power Gold system, a computerized music library and automated player used by AFN, said Petty Officer 3rd Class Frank "Gravy Train" Gravinese, the AFN detachment’s music broadcast director.

Some of the songs that are uploaded onto the Power Gold system come with a "lyrics alert," meaning they could be offensive. When that happens, his station’s policy is to not play them, Gravinese said.

The station still receives some complaints, though none lately, he said. About four songs without Power Gold lyric alerts have been banned by the station, he said, because some listeners consider them offensive.

"If a person brings up a legitimate concern, I can get my supervisor, and we can determine whether we will play it or not," Gravinese said. "We’ve got a lot of kids who listen … we try not put out stuff that could be offensive."

AFN radio stations "have more stringent rules about what we play than most stateside radio stations," said Air Force Master Sgt. Michael Brogan, AFN Tokyo’s operations manager, adding that they receive very few complaints about songs played on Eagle 810, the Kanto area AFN station.

Chances are, though, if it’s popular in the States, then listeners probably will hear it on AFN, Stare said.

Even if he removed songs such as "I Kissed a Girl" from his DJs’ playlists, the audience would still hear them when the station switched from live broadcasts to its satellite feed, because that’s what is being played in the States, he said.

Mindy Smith, 21, an Army spouse on Okinawa, said she has no complaints with the Katy Perry song.

While she and her husband, Army Sgt. Wesley Smith, 23, don’t like every song that plays on AFN Okinawa, they said the radio station does a pretty good job.

"They do the best they can … to provide a variety of music for everybody," the sergeant said.

No matter what they play, Stare said, the potential is there to offend someone.

"We can’t please everybody."

Stars and Stripes reporters Bryce Dubee, Jennifer Svan and Travis Tritten
contributed to this story.

Ellie

thedrifter
10-19-08, 08:57 AM
How does AFN make its musical selections?

By Cindy Fisher, Stars and Stripes
Pacific edition, Monday, October 20, 2008

CAMP FOSTER, Okinawa — A lot goes on behind the scenes to provide the mix of current, popular music heard on Armed Forces Network radio stations, according to AFN officials.

The American Forces Radio and Television Service’s AFN Broadcast Center, based in California, selects music using top charts, research and data from Billboard and Radio & Records magazines, AFN Broadcast Center spokesman Lawrence A. Sichter said in an e-mail to Stars and Stripes.

AFN’S worldwide radio and television broadcast network supports almost a million U.S. servicemembers, Department of Defense civilians and families stationed overseas at bases in 175 countries and on Navy ships at sea, Sichter said.

Each week, AFRTS ships three music CDs with about 12 songs apiece to its overseas AFN affiliates. Overseas DJs then select songs from current and past AFRTS CDs to play on air during their shows.

The goal is to "provide music formats that will appeal to the majority of our overseas listeners," Sichter said. What’s broadcast by overseas AFN radio stations is a sampling of what is popular in the States, he said.

"Music selections are based on current, top-20 charting songs" in most contemporary music genres, Sichter said.

"We adhere to the same network broadcast standards that major U.S. networks follow," he said adding that "what the majority of Americans are listening to is what we seek to provide our overseas audience."

By mirroring what is heard on U.S. commercial radio stations, "AFN provides our audience that touch of home," he said.

This is the most basic rule of the Department of Defense regulation 5120.20R, which guides the center’s music selection, he said. The regulation mandates that AFN listeners will be provided with "the same type and quality of American radio and television news, information, sports and entertainment that would be available to them if they were in the CONUS."

Petty Officer 1st Class James Stilipec, section chief of AFN Misawa detachment operations, said that by Defense Department regulation, AFN cannot play material that includes offensive words, racially demeaning language or lyrics that promote drug or alcohol use, deviant or socially unacceptable behavior, sexual abuse or harassment.

In accordance with the regulation, "AFN does not uplink music with offensive lyrics; we provide … the ‘radio edits’ version: the same songs played over the air in the States," Sichter said.

But the DoD regulation also prohibits the broadcast center from censoring the programs that are airing stateside, he said.

"To carry out that mission,… we seek the version most often played on U.S. stations, the songs heard in the ‘small-town’ markets across America," he said.

The CDs our affiliates receive may occasionally contain a song with a "lyric alert," Sichter said.

"The local affiliate has to make a judgment as to whether the lyrics-alerted song is appropriate for their community and/or the part of day during which the song might be heard," he said.

Ellie