PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Point bomb squad blows up package, finds hoax

thedrifter
10-18-08, 09:37 AM
Cherry Point bomb squad blows up package, finds hoax
October 17, 2008 - 3:41PM
By Nikie Mayo
Freedom ENC

A bomb squad from Cherry Point was called to New Bern on Friday to blow up a suspicious package, but the threat turned out to be a hoax.

The package contained a digital watch and a tape recorder.

Two residents approached a New Bern police officer around 11 a.m. and told him about a suspicious package at a loading dock at the old Food Lion building, which is near McDonald's on Red Robin Lane.

Police called in the Explosive Ordinance Disposal Team at Cherry Point.

"Protocol says we are to do that first," said Beth Stevenson, police spokeswoman.

New Bern police and New Bern Fire and Rescue also responded.

Three Marines were sent to the scene with a mobile bomb-disposal unit.

"I was on my lunch break," said Sgt. Eric Summers, a member of the team. "But I did get to finish my sandwich."

Police blocked off a portion of Red Robin Lane and routed traffic through a parking lot between McDonald's and the old grocery store.

When the area was deemed secure and blocked off with orange cones, the Marines sent out a robot that is controlled wirelessly.

"Rather than send a person into a dangerous situation, we always send the robot out first," Summers said. "We've even got a 12-guage shotgun we can put on there if we need it."

Those on the scene were told to back away and prepare for flying debris.

"Fire in the hole. Fire in the hole," the Marines said just before blowing up the package around 1 p.m.

The explosion sounded like the firing of a shotgun.

"Ain't nothing in there now," New Bern Fire Chief Bobby Aster said.

Summers and the police examined the remains of the package after it was blown up. Summers was able to tell from the debris that the package was harmless.

"It was a hoax device," he said. "There are no explosives in there. But you just never know until it's done."

Ellie